Jet engine explodes, passenger sucked halfway out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by red89notch View Post
    She must have been tiny because those windows are small as shit! I doubt my head could fit through one.
    Suction is one hell of a drug...

Comment

She must have been tiny because those windows are small as shit! I doubt my head could fit through one.
      That is a lot of cabin pressure leaving through a small hole.
      2006 Civic SI
      2009 Pilot
      1988 GT
      CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

Originally posted by beefed88 View Post
        Imagine if a small child had been sitting there. Probably would've gone straight out.

Comment

Thats how I feel about my farts...

Comment

At fl300 the cabin was about 8.3 /\p. 8.3 lbs per sq inch. I do not know the exact size of the window, I bet one of our A&P guys familiar with the 73 can give those dimension and do the math of the pressure on that window.
            I do know this........ Eight psi is about half an atmosphere. This means that while an airliner is flying, there are about ten tons of air pressure pushing outward on each of the doors. Think about that next time you pass the door
            on the way to the John.

Comment

Originally posted by likeitfast55 View Post
              At fl300 the cabin was about 8.3 /\p. 8.3 lbs per sq inch. I do not know the exact size of the window, I bet one of our A&P guys familiar with the 73 can give those dimension and do the math of the pressure on that window.
              I do know this........ Eight psi is about half an atmosphere. This means that while an airliner is flying, there are about ten tons of air pressure pushing outward on each of the doors. Think about that next time you pass the door
              on the way to the John.
              767 outer window is about 13"X 10". I believe the 737 is a bit shorter and wider.. Looks like the blade failed at the annular filler. Last guy to do a fan blade lube is probably sweating a bit.
              Natural law. Sons are put on this earth to trouble their fathers.

Comment

Originally posted by 68RR View Post
                767 outer window is about 13"X 10". I believe the 737 is a bit shorter and wider.. Looks like the blade failed at the annular filler. Last guy to do a fan blade lube is probably sweating a bit.
                Have you heard of "blade stacking" during the cool off of engine shutdown?
                Mostly N1 blades. Causes massive vibs on the N1 and N2.
                The CRJ-700 G.E. CF34-8C5 did it bad.

Comment

Are you referring to blade shingling? Pratt JT9 would do that on occasion.

The Southwest fan blade failure would most likely only be caught by a NDT non destructive testing method. Some engines have time limits on the fan blades like 777 and 757 RR. But not sure about CFM56.
                  2006 Civic SI
                  2009 Pilot
                  1988 GT
                  CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

Randy, not familiar with that family of engines. Mostly dealt with GE CF6-50's, 80A's and C2's. Did a ton of blade lubes. Usually the moly coating would start flaking off and you would get a N1 vibe. Usually at .9- 1.2 (coming into Tulsa for a MBV) they would schedule a lube. Pull the blades, clean both the blades and hub, recoat and reinstall. The A sump seal would sometimes fail, allowing oil to get into the spinner, which would also show up as a vibe..
                    Last edited by 68RR; 04-20-2018, 10:09 PM.
                    Natural law. Sons are put on this earth to trouble their fathers.

Comment

on the way to the John.
                      The typical cabin window has 600 to 900 pounds of force on it at altitude. Of course it varies, but that is typical. When they do pop, they do so pretty spectacularly.
                      "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Are you referring to blade shingling? Pratt JT9 would do that on occasion.

The Southwest fan blade failure would most likely only be caught by a NDT non destructive testing method. Some engines have time limits on the fan blades like 777 and 757 RR. But not sure about CFM56.
                        The GE rep told me that "stacking" is an uneven cooling of the blades causing random gaps between the base of the blades. Once centrifugal force of the rotation of said blades is achieved, on the subsequent engine run-up, the out of balance section causes massive "vibs" in the core and N1.
                        GE solved the problem in two ways, first by increasing the red-line of max vibs. Second, changing out all of our N1 blades after 500hrs run time.
                        Last edited by likeitfast55; 04-22-2018, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Indeed I did. With the help of Dan Bishop, Project Manager.

Comment

Originally posted by GE View Post
                            Indeed I did. With the help of Dan Bishop, Project Manager.
                            Of GE?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
                            2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

I never thought about this issue had a small kid been in that seat nor the amount of cabin pressure.

I'm pretty sure I'll try my hardest to not get a window seat and for damn sure keep our seatbelts on for the entire flight.

Originally posted by Shaggin Wagon View Post
                              Thats how I feel about my farts...
                              I LOL'd

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                                I'm pretty sure I'll try my hardest to not get a window seat and for damn sure keep our seatbelts on for the entire flight.
                                Better not get behind the wheel anytime soon then either. Fatal traffic accidents happen every day, so that must mean you're next there too.

Comment

Working...
                                X