Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I feel the need to buy a quality knife... what do you guys carry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
    How bout the biggest baddest cheapest? Best bang for the buck. In case i lose the mofo. Happened a time or two on fishing trips
    For cheap daily carry folders, I still prefer Kershaw and still carry one every day (I have 3 different models I rotate through).. None were over $25 and they've never let me down.

That said, I also always have my leatherman in my backpack, and a couple of fixed blades in my Jeep.

Comment

I forgot about this thread. What happened with those Case knives, BradM?

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
        I forgot about this thread. What happened with those Case knives, BradM?
        Oh hell, I forgot about that.. Still interested!

My knife interest has grown, along with my collection, since this thread was originally started. My interest is mostly in fixed blade knives, especially those designed for camping / outdoors. I accumulated quite a few but since sold off a number of them that I liked, but didn't really use. Right now I only have a few but this is my newest and favorite:

LT Wright Outback 3V - Burlap Micarta Scales - Thick Snakeskin Liners - Matte Finish - Saber Grind (High flat grind with secondary bevel)

Excuse the picture quality, that was from the guy I purchased it from. I bought it 'used' but new in the box, for a pretty good discount over new. These are made by LT Wright but made exclusively for DLT trading. The blade length is on the smaller side to my normal preferences (this is 4.3" but I prefer 5" - 6") but I love the shape and design. It's very functional as an all-around knife and cpm3v is supposed to be a pretty great steel for this type of use.
        Attached Files

Comment

These are my daily carry cheapies. The back 4 are all Kershaws, the OTF in front I carried for almost a year but don't really anymore.

And here are a few I had, mostly sold now:

These are from a Finnish military surplus company.. They have 2 sizes, 110MM and 140MM seen below. These are both carbon steel but they also sell them in stainless. They're really great knives and very affordable. That said, shipping can take a while as their knives are commonly held up in customs in NYC. If you order other stuff from them (non-knives) the shipping is really fast.

These Condors were fun (I sold the big one but still have the small). The larger is their 'Primitive Bush Knife' (8" blade) and the Mini Bushlore (3" blade). I did a fair amount of work convexing and polishing the bevels on these, and both were / are scary sharp. I also added the jute / epoxy wrap on the larger one, as well as did some sanding and shaping to make it more comfortable.

Hmmm Maybe I'll just start a knife 'show and tell' thread..
          Attached Files

Comment

Whats the auto opener?

Comment

Whats the auto opener?
              I forget the name now, they were mid priced that were being sold through Facebook a couple of years ago. I think they were like $60 or so and decent functionality. Blades were a little wiggly (not uncommon for OTF) and the steel is on the soft side, so needs frequent sharpening even for just opening boxes and the like. Also, as you can see the finish started coming off almost right away. It's almost like a latex film or something that just peels off.

If I can think of the name I'll post up, but even at that low-ish price, I wouldn't recommend it. Maybe if they were like $25 - $35, but even then it was mostly a novelty..

Fun to play with though.

Comment

Benchmade is the best but expensive. I think my son took it. Spyderco is nice and more affordable. Best bang for the buck are Ontario knives. I currently have a spyderco with my edc stuff an Ontario in my tool bag in the truck and a USGI pocket knife I use sometimes too. My benchmade is on hiatus somewhere.....

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
                  Benchmade is the best but expensive. I think my son took it. Spyderco is nice and more affordable. Best bang for the buck are Ontario knives. I currently have a spyderco with my edc stuff an Ontario in my tool bag in the truck and a USGI pocket knife I use sometimes too. My benchmade is on hiatus somewhere.....
                  I really like my Benchmades. I've lost two over the last 6 or so years. I wept like a hungry angry baby both times.

Comment

I really like my Benchmades. I've lost two over the last 6 or so years. I wept like a hungry angry baby both times.
                    That's why I stick with cheap folders.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chili View Post
                      That's why I stick with cheap folders.
                      But I'm bougie.

Comment

• My daily knife is a Benchmade Barrage

But I have my eye on a Civilware Striker right now

Comment

• I also daily the barrage. I miss my 531 Pardue, though

Comment

• i carry a kershaw launch 1. 100 bucks for a solid auto knife.

when it comes to daily carry pocket knives, i require auto function, american made, and a harder blade to keep a sharp edge longer.

anything else i carry will be a nice fixed blade

Comment

• Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                              How bout the biggest baddest cheapest? Best bang for the buck. In case i lose the mofo. Happened a time or two on fishing trips

Probably best bang for buck you’ll find.. they’re ridiculously sharp and decent quality especially for under 20, sheath included too
                              "PSH!!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                                https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Comp...v6L&ref=plSrch

Probably best bang for buck you’ll find.. they’re ridiculously sharp and decent quality especially for under 20, sheath included too
                                Oh yeah, Mora's are great. I have 7 or 8 in various places (great for 'Get Home' bags and vehicle kits, mainly due to price!). Couple of Companions, Robust's, and a couple wood handle Classics. Oh, and an Eldris and a spoon knife..

Comment

Working...
                                X