No announcement yet.

Lowdown on Off-road parks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was able to drain and clean out that light, btw, and it works. But that is how deep the shit was.. And how much earth is in that mud (you can see the settled mud). That stuff is / was in all of my frame rails and everything..
    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
      Sucks that you had so many issues. That is one thing good about my 4runner. 135k miles and not scared to take it anywhere.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
      I will say that I was able to drive it all the way home, to and from the dealer, and to the transmission shop today. All in second gear (limp mode), unfortunately.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chili View Post
        Oh, I definitely participated in it's demise, but this is just one of many nut kicks that I have dealt with.. Of course, I could have just gotten that one.. Let me see if I can think of what all I have done. And this is aside from mods, just things that needed repair (granted, some just tune up stuff or things that made sense). It has just under 98,000 miles:
        • Front rotors
        • Thermostat Housing
        • Starter
        • Water Pump
        • Upper and Lower Ball Joints
        • Shocks
        • Oil Cooler / Oil Filter Housing Assembly
        • PVC Valve
        • Upper / Lower intake gaskets
        • plugs
        • Various Fluids (cooling system flush x 3 with water pump, thermostat housing, then oil cooler which coolant also flows through.
        • Transmission

Seems like I'm forgetting something but that's all I can think of. And I have done quite a few mods, so it blurs some.

Things it needs / issues I still have:
        • Burns oil with alot of high RPM driving (cyl 1 and 5 plugs fouled, 5 is worse)
        • Roof leaks / drivers side roof panel fills with water
        • Belt Tensioner (whining, according to dealer is that)
        • Gears (on 35's w/ 3.73 - Planned 4.56)
        • Excessive under-hood temps (need a vented hood or add vents to hood)

The biggest concern is the oil consumption / blow by these are known to have head gasket / head issues, so I fully expect that if I keep it I will need to do a rebuild or something big soon.

Lmao! I will say that looking back I wish I had gotten a Rubicon.. That said, at the time a 12+ (had to have the 3.6) Rubicon just wasn't in the budget.

I love your 4runner..

Yeah, that’s a lot of shit.
        Originally posted by BradM
        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
        Originally posted by Leah
        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chili View Post
          I will say that I was able to drive it all the way home, to and from the dealer, and to the transmission shop today. All in second gear (limp mode), unfortunately.
          It got you home! Better than a Land Rover.

2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

• Damn, Craig, that interior mud has to suck!

So when you get out and all muddy, do you slip on mud boots first, then sit inside and toss em in the back so the floors don't get covered in mud? I was thinking of getting some cheap boots for just that reason.

So in the summer drought/heat, does that park dry out a lot and just have huge ruts where it's all mud/trenches now, or do they fill some with water?

Comment

• Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
              Damn, Craig, that interior mud has to suck!

So when you get out and all muddy, do you slip on mud boots first, then sit inside and toss em in the back so the floors don't get covered in mud? I was thinking of getting some cheap boots for just that reason.

So in the summer drought/heat, does that park dry out a lot and just have huge ruts where it's all mud/trenches now, or do they fill some with water?
              So, in theory yes, and on trips I usually have a pair of mud boots with us. I didn't bring them on this trip. I should note, I got stuck in mud holes 3-4 different times, 3 of which required getting pulled out (was right on the edge but the slipping transmission killed me). Normally I would not have gotten in and out in the mud and would not have had to carry the tow strap and get mud all over myself. I also slipped and fell in the mud 2-3 times. lol

Also, keep in mind I have very small 'fenders' that in in no way cover the tires. So when I am spinning in mud, it's inevitable to get it around the window area. Lea has asked "why don't you just roll up the windows?" The problem there is then you cannot see out of said window..

So this much mud inside is not typical.

It rained a lot mid week so there was a lot more mud than when it's been dry for a while. The bigger holes will always be there, and a couple of the trails require you go through them but there is plenty of areas without mud.

Comment

• Trying to put together some video from Colorado and these pics are just making me want to keep it more..

Attached Files

Comment

• why the small flares? looks odd

Comment

• Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
                    why the small flares? looks odd
                    More clearance, less damage, can run larger tires with less lift. I would actually prefer them a bit wider, and have my eye on a set. These are what it had when I got it. That's said, I have grown to appreciate them and there have been several times I appreciated my tires sticking out beyond my fenders.

Edit---

For times like this:

And this:
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Chili; 02-19-2019, 11:54 PM.

Comment

• Is that water in your fog light?

David

Comment

• Man, just keep it. If you're already having second thoughts, just think about how you're always going to say "Man, I sure miss that Jeep".

And heck, you're already taking the hit on the transmission. You might as well be the one to enjoy the "new" one until you break it again.

Those TRD Pro 4Runners are cool, but even if you found a "smoking deal" on one (you won't), they're still priced to the moon, and you're still going to want to throw more money at it to make it yours. All the while feeling that lonely void in your heart for that little red Jeep that you made so many wonderful memories with. That gut-wrenching feeling that will make you say...

Wranglers are red.
                        4Runners are blue.
                        Things aren't the same
                        Since I traded you.

When you needed me most
                        I turned my back, like a slap.
                        And rode off into the sunset
                        With a shiny new Jap.

You said "Baby, don't leave!"
                        "It's just a broken transmission!"
                        But I sold you for peanuts
                        Listed as "fair" condition.

Ol' Red, please forgive me!
                        Now what have I done?!?
                        All I have left is photos
                        Of the trails that we'd run.

This Toyota runs smooth
                        But her paint is too new.
                        She won't run around topless
                        Like you used to do.

I can't take her doors off.
                        I can't swing out her rear.
                        Her headlights aren't perfectly round
                        Like yours, dear.

There's no 4Runner wave.
                        What do I do with my hand?
                        I guess that's a Jeep thing
                        They don't understand.

So I'll drive my Toyota
                        And say "Oh, what a feeling".
                        But deep down I'll pretend
                        That it's you that I'm wheeling.
                        Last edited by jluv; 02-20-2019, 11:04 AM.

Comment

• Greatness

2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

• ^^ Thumbs up, Jared!

Comment

• "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Working...
                              X