Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connected/Smart home

Who has done the smart home thing?

I want to get a connected/wireless deadbolt and it got me thinking about smart/connected home systems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

I, for one, am not keen to the whole smart/connected home. The IoT and all the devices are so lacking in any standards of ANY sort for security, that you're opening yourself up for trouble.

The current state of IoT cybersecurity is precarious. People are now aware of the systemic risks, but IoT hardware vendors specifically are slow to change.

Comment

Agree, IOT and cloud are still suspect in my book. In my business everyone is moving that way and I'm still confused at to why exactly. Meaning, I get the ease, costs/budgeting and so forth - but anytime I try to find better details on specifics for security - I hear nothing but marketing terms overall.

Additionally, no good way to determine if anything that is claimed is actually done which is a major reason we do hybrid solutions or only use our own IOT.
      Originally posted by MR EDD
      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

I was gifted a Google home its all but useless to me because of it lack of built in features. It relies on a lot of third party apps to do what should be simple things

I do have an ecobee and really enjoy is programmable features and that it had remote sensors. Nest now has remote sensors if I would go that direction now.

My next automation focus was going to be on getting the master bed room to do sunrise lighting, but I have candelabra bulbs in the ceiling fan and nobody makes e15 candelabra that are wifi controlled with RGB and dimmable.

Comment

I have a Samsung Smart things hub with about 28 devices. Mostly light switches, with some plugs, door sensors, garage door openers, and thermostats. I also have an echo and a Google home mini.

My cameras are totally separate.

Comment

Working...
          X