No announcement yet.

The BEST Win8 review you've ever seen.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dude, they may be trying to push ahead, but they're flat doing it wrong. In fact, if you put, "Steve Ballmer," into google, the third prompt (before you initiate a search) is, "Steve Ballmer's Nightmare Coming True," or some such. It's actually a pretty excellent article.
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by YOLO View Post
      Dude, they may be trying to push ahead, but they're flat doing it wrong. In fact, if you put, "Steve Ballmer," into google, the third prompt (before you initiate a search) is, "Steve Ballmer's Nightmare Coming True," or some such. It's actually a pretty excellent article.
      As far as I'm concerned, there's an almost concretely linear relationship between how upset the techie-blog-forum world gets about things and how well average consumers buy into it.

Everyone bitched and moaned about Vista and 7, too, and at this point, it's all just a bunch of crying wolf. People don't like change, and yet somehow everyone carries on.

There are only three options here:

1. The traditional PC market dies and tablets aren't the future; some unforeseen technology will replace both
      2. Microsoft is actually in front of the curve on tablet bullshit and the traditional PC market dwindles accordingly
      3. The wildest wet dream of forum fanboys comes true and Ballmer gets ousted, Microsoft apologizes for yet another misstep, and we get the greatest iteration of Windows ever released, specifically designed for the forum-browsing mid-level IT professional to play WoW on.

Comment

There's still a "PC" in every home and business...it's just not always made by Microsoft. The only difference now is that nobody is upgrading said PC every year and instead buying tablets, phones, consoles, etc.

Tablets will just replace the PC for the average facebook/pintrest surfer. You still can't do work / homework / etc on it...laptops at the very least will always have a home.

Windows 8 does seem a bit misguided...almost as if they put "tablet mode" on it and completely disregarded "pc mode". Might be in an update soon.
        2004 Z06 Commemorative Ed.

Comment

I must be in the minority here but I really like Windows 8, no issues with any of my rigs.

No crossfire issues, no multiple monitor issues, drivers work, performance is great. SSD boot time is exceptionally quicker than on Windows 7. PC is still stable with overclock so no issues there, and it was cheap. $15 bucks for OS + $10 for Office 2013 compared to $300 for 7 Ultimate and another 100 for Office 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
            It's not hard to spot garbage when you see it and 8 isn't far off from garbage, for traditional PC use. If it were good for that, there wouldn't be a need for Classic Shell, or the like.
            Is this any different than the argument "If Android were so great, there wouldn't be a need for a hundred custom ROMs for every device"?
            Originally posted by Broncojohnny
            HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

On the contrary, it is. The purpose of different roms is for the customization, not to make it usable.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                On the contrary, it is. The purpose of different roms is for the customization, not to make it usable.
                ClassicShell is just a customization.
                Originally posted by roliath View Post
                I must be in the minority here but I really like Windows 8, no issues with any of my rigs.

No crossfire issues, no multiple monitor issues, drivers work, performance is great. SSD boot time is exceptionally quicker than on Windows 7. PC is still stable with overclock so no issues there, and it was cheap. $15 bucks for OS + $10 for Office 2013 compared to $300 for 7 Ultimate and another 100 for Office 2010.
                Any usability issues?
                Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by roliath View Post

Agreed. It was cheap, I've had zero issues, and my computer is running better on it. I'm not particularly pro-8, but aside from the fact that things are moderately different (GASP! change!), I haven't had any issues. And after a week, I'm generally used to those differences.

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
                  Is this any different than the argument "If Android were so great, there wouldn't be a need for a hundred custom ROMs for every device"?
                  No, it's not. The stock android interface has all the elegance, polish, and usefulness of a 12 year old dude bathed in a cloud of horrible cologne.

Comment

Any usability issues?
                    It's just different. There's an emphasis on hotkeys and you've lost the status bar, but if you spend 30 minutes going through a primer on how things have changed, it's not difficult. A little weird for the first week, but after that I'm used to it.

To be honest, it reminds me a lot of Apple's reliance on shortcut keys and the sort. Fewer list menus and more "commands" and graphic menus.

Comment

where the fuck did you find office 2013 for 10 bucks?

I have no office at all and need to buy one soon.

Comment

Any usability issues?
                        Apart from installing Start8 instead of ClassicShell, none. Absolutely none. I just prefer to skip over the metro screen and not use any of the hot corners. I have W8 on my work laptop and desktop too where I don't use any start button replacer and can get around just fine. So Start8 is not a necessity.

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
                        where the fuck did you find office 2013 for 10 bucks?

I have no office at all and need to buy one soon.
                        Microsoft Home Use Program.

Comment

Ahh i dont have access to that. Ill just have to pay the 100 bucks for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Slowhand View Post
                            No, it's not.
                            That's what I was gonna say. There're absolutely ZERO OSs that I've used that I haven't had to tweak to my own personal preferences. All of them have shortcomings. I love Win 8 after I added classic shell. It's faster and smoother than Win 7, and does everything I need it to, and after a few tweaks everything I WANT it to.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
                              Ahh i dont have access to that. Ill just have to pay the 100 bucks for it.
                              Try the Office365 trial, not sure how long its going on for now but I ran it for about a couple of months.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                                That's what I was gonna say. There're absolutely ZERO OSs that I've used that I haven't had to tweak to my own personal preferences. All of them have shortcomings. I love Win 8 after I added classic shell. It's faster and smoother than Win 7, and does everything I need it to, and after a few tweaks everything I WANT it to.
                                I'm not even going to bother with ClassicShell for now. I might eventually give it a go, but for what I've been doing lately the stock interface has been fine.

But why bother when you can fling rhetoric instead?!

Comment

Working...
                                X