Some 1911 Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some 1911 Questions

Just a couple of quick questions that I hope I can get answered here. My first Kimber is right around 10 years old and the finished is scratched up from using a couple of kydex holsters and I'm thinking about getting it refinished. Any recommendations or suggestions? Anybody locally that can do it? I'm going off of memory here but what I'm thinking about getting is a Black Cerahide finish.

Also I'm looking at getting some VZ Grips and I was wondering what all is needed? Do I need new bushings and screws? Any other comparable grips? Any thoughts on the G-10 material?

You shouldn't need new bushings or screws unless yours are messed up.
    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

G-10 is a really durable and lightweight material. I like it on the knives I have with it on the handle, but I don't have any experience with it on guns, sorry.

Comment

What kind of finish is on it? If it is stainless, you may just want to get it re-beadblasted.

Comment

dura/ceracoat are the 2 popular ones. i assume there are others. i had some VZ aliens. awesome grips. if you get the slim versions you will need the "slim" bushings they offer. also if you carry IWB you may want to make sure your holster has leather/kydex between the grips and you. some find it uncomfortable.

god bless.
          It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Had a guy sell me a set of slim grips real cheap. Said there was something wrong with them. When he put them on, his mag wouldn't drop free anymore. He had to pull it out. Had a stupid look on his face when I asked him what length screws he was using.

Comment

I have VZ Operator II on mine, good grips. You might want to try Down Range Duracoat, they are local.
              https://www.facebook.com/downrange.duracoating

Comment

I had one of my old STI's done in hard chrome, and if you want a silver finish the protection can't be beat. Kinda expensive though. It was done by Tripp research a few years back but I understand they aren't doing it anymore?
                Originally posted by stevo
                Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

I had an ion bond coated EMP that was a tough finish...it was originally made for tooling only problem was it was radically different shades of color depending on dry/wetness

Comment

To hell with paying 70.00, I bought my grips off ebay

Comment

So I've decided on the Cerakote finish over the Duracoat. Just seems like it will be more durable for use on the Kydex holsters I have.

CCR Firearm Refinishing services, quality craftsmanship at an affordable price. Refinishing of handguns,rifles,shotguns using Cera-Hide a teflon/moly based ceramic coating.

Couple of pictures of a 1911 done in there House Black Cera-Hide which is what I'm considering.

Haven't decided on what sights yet. Might just go with some plain Trijicon's or Meprolights although I'm really digging the Big Dot XS Sights. I've started looking for a good deal on some VZ Grips on eBay just to see if I can save a few books.

Comment

It's going to be sweet when you get done with it.
                        03 cobra

Comment

Working...
                        X