So I want to build a long range rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I want to build a long range rifle

I want to use a MagPul stock, but besides that, where do I start???? Do I need to buy a Remington 700 and swap the parts, or can I buy the stock, bull barrel, etc. The reason I'm asking is because Academy is selling Remington 700 for $369.

What do you consider long range?

Comment

That and what is your gun and glass budget?
      WRX

Comment

Also, I wouldn't start a long range build based off of the stock. I would start with the rifle base and caliber and work my way out towards the stock, optics, etc, etc, etc.
        I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Maybe 700-1000 yards, I would like to see if I could build one for less than $1000. Like I said Academy has a Remington 700 on sale for $365. I'm guessing a couple hundred for stock, couple hundred for barrel, couple hundred for glass etc. Please point me in the right direction?????

Comment

If 1000 yards is your goal I would buy a Remington 700 or a Savage bolt rifle (not familiar with all their models and options), spend about as much on the glass as you did on the gun, and start shooting. You are not going to be able to shoot anywhere near as good as the rifle is able, at least not for a while. I wouldn't get into new barrels and stocks and triggers and all that other crap until you spent alot of time behind the trigger practicing. Grow into a starter gun and shoot until you can't bring you groups in any tighter, then start upgrading. You will have learned alot by then, gotten to know the gun and the caliber, and probably practiced with alot of seasoned shooters and learned from them. That will give you the experience and knowledge to know what you need to change in the gun, glass, or caliber. I don't shoot long distance, but I want to get into it, and when I do this is pretty much what I am going to do. 308, 300 win mag, and several others are good choices, but others on this board will be able to recommend calibers better than I. Anyway, this is what I would do; you can start for well below 1000, and then put the rest towards ammo. That is my .2 cents anyways.
            I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

It's absolutely possible but with your budget I would get a factory varmint barrel in a capable caliber then throw a trigger and the stock on it.
              "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

$1,000 for rifle, stock, (trigger if you buy a Remington), scope, and a barrel (if you buy the Remington you mentioned), plus gunsmith fees to install new barrel... Not gonna happen!

Your best bet is:
                If you want build something, do like Dee said and buy a heavy barrel rifle. I prefer Savage over Remington and you won't have to replace the trigger to have a decent pull weight (can be adjusted down to 2lbs I think for their regular accutrigger). Forget about a stock for now, buy the best glass you can afford (optical clarity is king in long range shooting, with precise adjustments/tracking being 2nd, sub $500 scopes aren't going to cut it) then spend a lot of money on ammo (mil surp/cheap shit is not going to cut it) and then a lot of time on the range...

Or

Up your budget a little and get a truly 1,000 yard capable rifle like a Savage 12 Long Range Precision. That's what I did... It comes with HS Precision stock which you could sell and put towards something different if you want. Buy the best glass you can! The scope on my rifle was a cool $1,000 and it's not even near the best scope you can get, but in that price range it's one of the best you can get for optical clarity, tracking, and features...

Spend more money now and you will be much better off and have a lot less difficulty in hitting targets at 700-1,000 yards...
                "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Good luck. Optics prices will rock your world.
                  sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
                  🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

I had a guy tell me about Stiller precision, about buying a trigger group instead of buy a whole rifle and modding it?????

Comment

Save up and get this. CheyTac 408 and a Nightforce B.E.A.S.T 5-25x56 F1.
                      sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
                      🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

Originally posted by wickedblkgt View Post
                        I had a guy tell me about Stiller precision, about buying a trigger group instead of buy a whole rifle and modding it?????
                        Stiller precision makes actions only and they cost roughly what your budget is with nothing but the action. No barrel, stock or trigger.

Comment

Originally posted by soap View Post
                          Save up and get this. CheyTac 408 and a Nightforce B.E.A.S.T 5-25x56 F1.
                          That's not a beast it might be a ATACR F1 but it looks more like a NXS.

Comment

Originally posted by wickedblkgt View Post
                            Maybe 700-1000 yards, I would like to see if I could build one for less than $1000. Like I said Academy has a Remington 700 on sale for $365. I'm guessing a couple hundred for stock, couple hundred for barrel, couple hundred for glass etc. Please point me in the right direction?????
                            MAC did a 1000yrd for $1000 deal a while ago..he ended up using a savage 10 in 308 and a primary arms scope. Check out the video.

Comment

Ask motoman about his thoughts on the primary arms scope.

Comment

Working...
                              X