Notre Dame is ablaze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notre Dame is ablaze

Notre Dame fire: Massive blaze tears through Paris cathedral, spire collapses

"A lot of people are crying," one witness told NBC News.

Flames engulfed the historic Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris on Monday, with billowing smoke seen from miles away in the French capital.

The flames appeared to be around scaffolding, high at the top of the famous church where $6.8 million in renovations were being done.

At least one of the church's spires has fallen and France 24 reported that the roof has collapsed.

The spire destroyed by the fire contained artifacts considered sacred to Catholics, including a relic believed to be from Jesus Christ's crown of thorns. Relics from Saint Genevieve and Saint Denis are also feared lost.

Download the NBC News app for breaking news and updates on the Notre Dame fire.

"Everything is burning, nothing will remain from the frame," Notre Dame spokesman Andre Finot told French media.

Onlookers were in tears as they witnessed flames destroying one of Paris' most famed and popular landmarks.

"A lot of people are crying," witness Carolyn Marguiles told NBC News in a phone interview moments before she spotted the roof falling. "Oh my God, it just fully collapsed!"

French President Emmanuel Macron canceled a scheduled speech to deal with the ongoing fire. He said this was an emotional night for Catholics and all of France.

"Our Lady of Paris is in flames," Macron said in a statement on Twitter. "Emotion for the whole nation. A thought for all Catholics and for all French. Like all our countrymen, I'm sad tonight to see this part of us burn."

No deaths were immediately reported from the massive blaze, Paris police said.

"A terrible fire is underway at Notre Dame Cathedral," Mayor Anne Hidalgo tweeted. She called on Parisians to stay away from the area to allow firefighters to do their work.

'Entire roof is collapsed in': Witness described Notre Dame damage
    April 15, 2019 / 03:05

Even President Donald Trump urged Paris firefighters to do everything they could to douse flames.

"So horrible to watch the massive fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris," he tweeted. "Perhaps flying water tankers could be used to put it out. Must act quickly!"

The house of worship, with roots dating back to the 12th century, is considered one of the world's greatest examples of French Gothic architecture.

Construction of Notre Dame began in 1163 under the reign of King Louis VII, and the first stone was laid in the presence of Pope Alexander III.

The landmark was not considered complete until nearly 200 years later, however, with the installation of flying buttresses and a stone fence surrounding the choir and the sanctuary, according to the website for Notre Dame de Paris.

The Associated Press reported that $19 million was set aside in 1991 for a restoration project to replace loose stones on the cathedral.

Nine bronze bells were made in 2013, the church’s 850th anniversary, in order to replace deteriorating artifacts.

Sixteen copper statues were removed from the spire on Friday as part of a restoration effort that was estimated to cost more than $900,000, Agence France Presse reported.
    The blaze caused the roof to collapse, destroyed a spire and spread to one of two rectangular towers, but the structure and main works of art were saved.

Looks pretty rough over there.
    G'Day Mate

Wild to see it all go away so fast.

Comment

The End is near
      Originally posted by Da Prez
      Fuck dfwstangs!! If Jose ain't running it, I won't even bother going back to it, just my two cents!!
      Originally posted by VETTKLR

Cliff Notes: I can beat the fuck out of a ZR1

Comment

So did they save most of the historic artifacts? Sounds like a whole lot of the place burned down.

Comment

Wife and I saw it in 2012 and 2017. Glad we got to see it before it burned. Interior was really beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaggin Wagon View Post
            So did they save most of the historic artifacts? Sounds like a whole lot of the place burned down.
            A lot of the artifacts were removed so they wouldn't be harmed by the renovations that were being done.

Comment

Discover topics like wimmelbilder, notre dame, fire, and the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like Nyrpus.

Looks like it's not quite as bad as thought, still pretty bad though.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
              Last edited by Grimpala; 04-16-2019, 08:23 AM.
              G'Day Mate

Comment

"According to AP, the Paris prosecutors’ office said it was treating the fire as an accident and had ruled out arson and terrorism."

Ruled out? So they already know the cause, or are they just trying to steer the conversation around a touchy subject? Churches across France have been vandalized for weeks now, occasionally even accidentally catching fire. It's a mystery! Must be God's will to suddenly have all these ancient churches accidentally badly damaged this year. That's the only possible explanation.

When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

arson. too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                    "According to AP, the Paris prosecutors’ office said it was treating the fire as an accident and had ruled out arson and terrorism."

Ruled out? So they already know the cause, or are they just trying to steer the conversation around a touchy subject? Churches across France have been vandalized for weeks now, occasionally even accidentally catching fire. It's a mystery! Must be God's will to suddenly have all these ancient churches accidentally badly damaged this year. That's the only possible explanation.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-f...-idUSKCN1QY0P1
                    They said on the radio this morning that they were doing renovations, and they believed the fire was construction related. I do know it was under renovations as most of the artifacts had been moved offsite, but don't know the accuracy of the construction being cause of the fire. It does happen all the time, though, so it's possible.
                    Originally posted by BradM
                    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                    Originally posted by Leah
                    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

hmmm:

UPDATE: This is not a post about the fire at Notre Dame. I scheduled this post hours ago, long before I knew of the fire. The story below comes from AFP; the fact that the target of the foiled jihad plot is now burning is coincidental. ----- It would be "Islamophobic" not to admire Ines...
                      G'Day Mate

Comment

[daytime views from inside]

the .gif version will take years to load, so just go here to the .gifv: https://i.imgur.com/fhQYRY3.gifv

Comment

If I was a smart terrorist, I’d get a few people hired on with the renovation crew. You know, kinda like shipping 20 of them here to take flight lessons.
                          Last edited by DON SVO; 04-17-2019, 06:34 AM.
                          Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                          I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                          Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                          Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                          dont downshift!!
                          Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

You can bet your ass that the Muzzie/terrroist angle will be ruled out immediately as a possible cause...

mardyn

Comment

Working...
                            X