Advice needed; Circa 1940s tachometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed; Circa 1940s tachometer

Would like to get yalls input. I'm restoring an old Wade 8a lathe. (Circa 1943) I'll be running it with a VFD and 3hp motor, jack shaft and permanent belt location(s). The VFD will be used to vary the RPM. While I'm primarily interested function, I do like to keep things true to the period if possible. The image attached is a later Wade tachometer. They are nearly impossible to find and expensive when they do surface. So, what are yalls thoughts on an alternative "period correct looking" tach? I'm not afraid of hot rodding the thing to use an old airplane tach, or even old Mac truck tach.... thoughts?
    First pic - Wade tach (not mine) Thanks Wade8a.com!
    Second pic - my Wade 8a before refurb/clean up.

Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
    There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

I think an airplane or truck tach setup would look cool

Comment

The pool of people that give a shit about "period correct 1940s lathes" is drying up fast. Personally I think anything you can do to make the lathe more usable to YOU is worthwhile. And if you are able to incorporate some other cast off mechanical parts to do it, instead of digital / LED stuff that sticks out like a sore thumb, then more power to ya!
      When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Thanks. It has been a labor of love. Been posting the journey on practical machinist. If you're interested...
        After several months, about 1500 miles, and a few dollars, Wade 8a #407 is finally in my grubby hands. If my hands weren't grubby before, they are now. :) #407 looks to have been in the US Navy. Guess that makes it a Squid's lathe. While not a sailor, I hope to do the lathe proud, none the...
        Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
        There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

the tags... ROFL!!
          WH

Comment

Working...
          X