No announcement yet.

Extra gaming PC stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm kinda surprised to see that hardware in use, was it a freebie? It should do what you're wanting just fine, but I wouldn't expect the moon.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
      I'm kinda surprised to see that hardware in use, was it a freebie? It should do what you're wanting just fine, but I wouldn't expect the moon.
      Yeah computer was an old work computer that I got for free.

I was thinking that a mother board and a i7 processor in the future should get me toward a pretty good system. I would think all this should be good enough to transfer over.

Comment

Right on, lmk when you're ready to build and we'll get ya fixed up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
          Right on, lmk when you're ready to build and we'll get ya fixed up.
          I really appreciate that Brother!

Comment

You're welcome bubba.

Comment

sigpic

Comment

You need hug?

Comment

I'm confused, I ordered a wireless Wi-Fi card (pci) with the 3 antennas to put in my computer and it's the Mini version. My PCI slot is a full size... Do I need some kind of adapter to go from the mini to the larger one? I stuffed the little one in the large PCI slot and the computer won't boot so I'm figuring I'm doing something wrong...help!
                  Last edited by Shaggin Wagon; 10-25-2018, 08:29 PM.

Comment

I cannot get the pictures to post so here's the link to the pictures of what I'm working with... Also, I do realize one of the wires is broken, I did that while messing with it.

Edit: After more research, Craize is right....figured out the card is a PCI Express card and I have regular pci slots. I looked up adapters, but I don't see how the adapter and my wifi card will have enough room to fit in the back back wall of the tower...
                    Last edited by Shaggin Wagon; 10-25-2018, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Pretty sure that's a PCI E card.

Send it back and get a USB 3.0 wireless card.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post

I saw the USB adapters, but I heard the cards run faster and Id like to get as fast as I can for online gaming

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post

I'm pretty sure the USB ports on that OptiPlex 380 aren't 3.0 so that would be pointless.

And Shaggin, you mentioned replacing the motherboard in the future... I think the mount points for the Dell cases are proprietary sorta so your off the shelf mobo's aren't going to fit.

There was a time where I had an old OptiPlex. I liked the size of the case over some of the monster cases at Fry's and this is what I kept hearing when I had the same idea of upgrading the internals.

And I'm not sure how I missed this thread but my daughter has actually expressed interest in buying a prebuilt gaming console for Fortnite as well. Being in IT, I kinda want to use this as an opportunity to bond with her and let her get her into pc's a little by building one with her. But as mentioned before, $800-$1k to play fortnite is a little obsurd.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                            I'm pretty sure the USB ports on that OptiPlex 380 aren't 3.0 so that would be pointless.

And Shaggin, you mentioned replacing the motherboard in the future... I think the mount points for the Dell cases are proprietary sorta so your off the shelf mobo's aren't going to fit.

There was a time where I had an old OptiPlex. I liked the size of the case over some of the monster cases at Fry's and this is what I kept hearing when I had the same idea of upgrading the internals.
                            I've seen on YouTube that there's some decent cases for like $50 which will probably be in future when I get the mother board and processor. Today I'm going to Fry's to see if I can find an adapter or a PCI wifi card. I have a ASUS card coming that I ordered before I realized my mistake and hate that I cant use it...maybe save it for the next mobo.

Yeah, I could have just bought a computer, but since Im so ignorant about them, I just wanted to see if I could do it myself and learn something new. I do see what seems like some pretty decent ones from $350 to $500 on CL.
                            Last edited by Shaggin Wagon; 10-26-2018, 09:07 AM.

Comment

no worries, the way your going is the way to learn fo' sho'. What's the service tag on the Dell?

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post

And I'm not sure how I missed this thread but my daughter has actually expressed interest in buying a prebuilt gaming console for Fortnite as well. Being in IT, I kinda want to use this as an opportunity to bond with her and let her get her into pc's a little by building one with her. But as mentioned before, $800-$1k to play fortnite is a little obsurd.
                                Ahh, I didn't know that.

For what it's worth, I run a 3.0 wireless card for gaming.

Comment

Working...
                                X