Shopping metal building contractors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by STANGGT40 View Post
    I meant to update this thread with mine. I did the 40x60 (with the gable on the 60' side for added height). 1 - 10' door and 1 - 14' door (and a man door). I'm on my phone and I can't seem to load photos...I'll post some later. It's all foamed...TR did a great job. I wasn't all that happy with the concrete, but it's not a huge deal.
    I'd be really interested to see these pics when you get them. I'm thinking about doing a 40x60 myself.
    DamonH

Comment

On the spray foam, every day I am in my shop I am so glad that I have it, worth every penny.
      The sealing and rigidity properties alone are worth it IMO.
      Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Any ideas on how to get TR Metal Buildings to respond. Sent a few emails and placed a few calls. Finally heard back and he ask me to send him the drawings I had of the layout I wanted, now a month later and still no response. People seem satisfied with their work, but can't have them build if I can't get a hold of them.
        1965 Ford Falcon Pro-Touring Project
        TCI F/R Suspension, 3V-4.6 & TR3560, LT III Wheels

sigpic
        Work In Progress

Comment

Originally posted by lowfast View Post
          Any ideas on how to get TR Metal Buildings to respond. Sent a few emails and placed a few calls. Finally heard back and he ask me to send him the drawings I had of the layout I wanted, now a month later and still no response. People seem satisfied with their work, but can't have them build if I can't get a hold of them.
          I dealt with a guy named Mark there. I think he's a partner in it but he responded quickly and was always on top of it for me. I'll see if I still have his info.

Comment

Thanks

sigpic
            Work In Progress

Comment

Originally posted by DamonH View Post
              I'd be really interested to see these pics when you get them. I'm thinking about doing a 40x60 myself.
              I'll post some up this evening...I can't seem to figure out how to post them from my phone.

Comment

Originally posted by lowfast View Post
                They're good, so they stay busy. When they're overly busy, their responsiveness seems to decrease substantially. I had the best luck calling mark, fwiw.

Comment

I think I loaded a few. I'll take some of the finished product and inside...I thought I had more, but I can't find them.

Edit...well that didn't work out...it loads one and won't load the others...
                  Attached Files

Comment

I am about 6 months out from the build, but I am a person who needs to plan things in advance, I call it being particular, my wife says anal retentive.

I would like to get a quote from them based on my needs and then know what I need to budget for the project. This will be built in conjunction with our new house so a bit more coordination is required than just a normal "build it in the backyard" scenario.

sigpic
                    Work In Progress

Comment

• Has anyone ever erected one of these them self? If I had my general contractor for the house take care of the slab is this something that you can do yourself or is it best left to the professionals?

sigpic
                      Work In Progress

Comment

• and now I am looking at building a 30x40.
                        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

• Definitely get a quote from Hot Rod Welding @ 940-577-0707. He built my 40X60 and I have no complaints with the work they did. If you're interested in checking it out let me know, I live in the Keller area.

Comment

• I just contacted to T.R. to get a quote last night. Mark got right back to me to get some additional info on whether or not I live in the city limits. He e-mailed me back with a quote. Unfortunately, I used the "leave a message" tool on their website, so I didn't go too in-depth with my plans. For reference, here is the gist of what I requested:
                            Quote for a 40'x60' or 50'x60'x14'
                            6" slab
                            insulation
                            3 roll-up doors

The quote I received was:
                            40'x60'x14'
                            6" slab
                            foam insulation
                            (1) 3'x7' door
                            (3) 10'x10' roll-up doors

$48,000

I know these guys are busy, so I'd rather have my options narrowed down a little bit before I start the "back-and-forth" process of pricing additions of concrete, lean-to's, etc.. That's where I need some help from those of you that have built shops already, or have gotten a quote for your specific building you've planned. Also, I'm pretty sure their prices went up on their website, so if this looks a little high compared to what you got, please let me know.

See next post for tl;dr and questions.

Comment

• *tl;dr:
                              Extend the slab 10' x L to have ability to leave truck/trailer inside, or extend ~12' x W and build lean-to on side? Pick one.

Is 14' wall height tall enough to have a decent upstairs storage area?

How much extra $ to plumb in pipes that I can connect to later on for water/wastewater/run elec through?

How much do I save by building my own pad and digging footers/beams and water/elec runs?

I know some of these are best answered by the builders themselves, but I'd like to see if any of you have had your bid broken down by each item, or been quoted a price for adding things to your build.

I'm looking to go as large as 50'x60' with an additional lean-to (and concrete) for my trailers on one side, and about a 15' covered porch in front.

So, first things first. Let's discuss dimensions. I've always heard that you should go as big as you can afford, because you will fill up the shop. I initially wanted to switch from 40' deep x 60' wide to 50' deep x 60' wide so that I could just pull into the shop with a trailer hooked up and leave it, if need be. 40' would be cutting it extremely close, and the extra 600 sq. ft. wouldn't hurt. So would YOU rather have the extra 10' of depth, or a lean-to on the side for trailer storage, if you had to choose one or the other? Ideally, I'll get both.

Height. I asked for a quote for a side-wall height of 14'. It should be MUCH cheaper to go up, than to go out due to the price of concrete. I'm putting in a lift, and I would like to build a loft area for storage later on, with a nice workspace underneath. Is 14' enough? 7' tall in the workspace, 1' tall between I-beam and decking, leaving 6' at the wall, with more room away from the wall with the slope of the roof.

How much extra is it for these guys to at least plumb in pipes for water/wastewater/electric runs?

Lastly, I have a 45hp tractor with FEL and backhoe. I could always do my own pad and trenches for water/elec, but I've read that certain builders won't install a building on a pad they didn't prepare. Obviously, only the builder can answer if they would allow it, but how much could I potentially save since that cost is rolled into the building?

Is there anything else that I need to consider, or any pro-tips you have for shop design/layout? I'll try to update this thread later today with a sketch of what I'm looking at building.

Comment

• 14ft is plenty. You can also go up on roof pitch. I went with a 10ft awning and it is too narrow. I would do 15ft. Tr built mine 5 years ago and I have no complaints.
                                2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Working...
                                X