No announcement yet.

Easiest Way to Emulate Windows on OSX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easiest Way to Emulate Windows on OSX?

I have a tuning device that only works on a windows machine. I asked them if they have support for osx and they said to just use an emulator. What is the easiest/cheapest way to run a windows program on osx?

Thanks!

I use vmware's fusion, it isn't free but I prefer it over parallels. With fusion you can launch and run a windows program from the doc and runs like it is a native OSX program.

Comment

I use Fusion because it is free for me (company pays for it) but I'll be migrating to Parallels sooner or later PROBABLY. My co-workers that have switched to it, paying out of pocket seem happier. Reviews indicate it is generally faster. From what I can see is, it all works - but Parallels does it slightly quicker.

The other option is boot camp, depending on what you need.
      Originally posted by MR EDD
      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post

The other option is boot camp, depending on what you need.
        Probably should expand on bootcamp. It is built into OSX so it is free and will let you dual boot your mac. This gives you an install of windows on a separate hard drive partition. So while you cant run a windows program inside of OSX, it is a better option if the program you are trying to run is really processor or graphics intensive.

Trying to run a very demanding program inside of parallels or fusion can be frustrating or impossible.

Comment

I was just given a new version of Parallels from a friend who bought a new Mac Mini but I haven't tried it yet. I do have Win7 64 bit installed using bootcamp and it works perfectly just like any other Windows machine but I honestly only use it occasionally just to keep it updated and for my flatbed scanner which won't work with the newest OSX. I have my machine maxed out at 8gb of ram so I am thinking about getting a larger and faster HDD and reinstalling OSX on it so I can try out Parallels with Win7 64 bit.

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
            I have a tuning device that only works on a windows machine. I asked them if they have support for osx and they said to just use an emulator. What is the easiest/cheapest way to run a windows program on osx?

Thanks!
            To the original poster......if you are going to run a tuning program (I assume using a USB port for the interface) I would suggest using Bootcamp because the computer will boot directly into a windows environment which is probably safer for a tuning program (I wouldn't want to tune my car using a simulated windows environment because its possible the emulator could give you false/inaccurate readings).

Comment

Since it hasn't been asked - What type of mac are you using? Is it a newer machine?

The only reason I ask is because a few years ago when my boss went Mac-crazy, he bought 4 computers. 2 are intel based imacs and 2 were non-intel based G5s. The imacs took VMware fusion and work like a champ. The non-intel based machines had problems and I ended up with 2 computers on my desk(one Win2k and one Mac) so that I could do everything needed when in the office. The G5s are just sitting in a corner unused now.

Just something to consider.

Comment

Working...
              X