Can someone help me with old-school laptop upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone help me with old-school laptop upgrade

So I have this Toshiba Satellite 1805-S203, it is an 800mhz Celeron that should have came w/128mb RAM. I want to keep this in the coupe for data-logging. It is currently running Windows XP and is pretty slow.

Current issues:

Computer only shows 56mb of RAM for some reason. From what I can research is should have come stock with 128mb. This is what I found when I research memory upgrades:

Memory Upgrade for Toshiba Satellite 1805-S203 Laptop, the Toshiba Satellite 1805-S203 Laptop takes the PC100 SDRAM SODIMMs Memory Type, and comes installed with 128 MB (removable) of Memory. You can upgrade your Toshiba Satellite 1805-S203 Laptop to up to a maximum of 512 MB Memory, the system has 2 sockets to install Memory, already with 128 MB (removable) standard Memory installed.

So would this work?

Here is the site that I got my info from and they also sell RAM

Memory Upgrade for Toshiba Satellite 1805-S203 Laptop, Upgrade Satellite 1805-S203 Memory with 100% compatible 1805-S203 Toshiba Laptop Memory RAM modules from memorystock.com.

Any other cheap options?

Also, the battery seams to be shot, I found this for $25 shipped:

I want to put as little in this laptop as possible obviously. It already has a Wireless G adapter and other then the low ram/bad battery it is perfect. If I could get it back up to snuff for 30-40 bucks I think it'd be worth it.

What do you guys think?

The link u posted is for PC133 memory, this is the one u need:

Order two of those, slap them in, and you should be good to go.

Comment

You might also want to check msconfig and ensure that a memory limit isn't set. Toshiba has been known for doing that in the past to ensure that you had to pay a service tech to do the work.
      Scientists do not coddle ideas. They crash test them. They run them into a brick wall at 60 miles per hour and then examine the pieces.

If the idea is sound, the pieces will be that of the wall.

Comment

Man, there is A LOT of negitive feedback on that RAM, someone in the comments says it will only work on Apple comps.

Is PC133 and PC100 not interchangeable? Reason I ask is that site above has the PC133 listed as compatible along with 2 PC100 choices. I honestly have no idea so I am not doubting what you are saying.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddhattter View Post
          You might also want to check msconfig and ensure that a memory limit isn't set. Toshiba has been known for doing that in the past to ensure that you had to pay a service tech to do the work.
          anyway around this?

Comment

Originally posted by Maddhattter View Post

Looks like this shouldn't be an issue, in the user guide it outlines the process to increase the memory yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
              Man, there is A LOT of negitive feedback on that RAM, someone in the comments says it will only work on Apple comps.

Is PC133 and PC100 not interchangeable? Reason I ask is that site above has the PC133 listed as compatible along with 2 PC100 choices. I honestly have no idea so I am not doubting what you are saying.
              Yeah, I think PC133 memory is backwards compatible to PC100 memory.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny_Stang View Post
                Yeah, I think PC133 memory is backwards compatible to PC100 memory.
                That depends on the computer. Some PC133 won't work with computers designed for PC100 (I had an old Gateway that wouldn't boot up with PC133 memory installed). I would just try to find some PC100 memory used...its dirt cheap. You could prolly find someone giving it away on Craigslist.

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
                  anyway around this?
                  I agree with Kenny_stang, it shouldn't be a problem. If, however, you upgrade the RAM and it still only shows 56:

Click Start
                  Click Run
                  Type msconfig
                  Press Enter
                  Select the Boot.ini tab
                  Click Advanced Options
                  Make sure /MAXMEM is unchecked

This should allow windows to detect all memory not shared with the video card.

Hope that helps.
                  Scientists do not coddle ideas. They crash test them. They run them into a brick wall at 60 miles per hour and then examine the pieces.

If the idea is sound, the pieces will be that of the wall.

Comment

Working...
                  X