Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are there any parts(roll pins, etc) used in assembly that are one time use?

The reason I ask is when my complete upper gets here, I will be disassembling it so that I can cerakote the handguard, barrel and gas block.

Comment

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
      Are there any parts(roll pins, etc) used in assembly that are one time use?

The reason I ask is when my complete upper gets here, I will be disassembling it so that I can cerakote the handguard, barrel and gas block.
      You should be able to push out all the pins BUT should you muck one up they are easy to get replacements.

For extras cause I have so many ARs I bought a few of the DPMS roll pin kits for like $7 and just toss them in my spare parts box. You can also go to Model 1 sales and order the individual pins, springs, detents etc. Emphasis on springs and detents since that is what most people loose in a build. I have a whole mess of each extras to keep Murphy out of my shop.
      Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

here is a little something I put on the old board
        Originally posted by kbscobravert
        Let me start with, I can not claim this as my own. I learned these tips from Chris (Bronco71) but thought I could pass them along.

The rear take down pivot pin can be a hassle sometimes when changing stocks or durring dissassembly. Here is a nice little tip. Use a #4-40 course tap, cut 3-4 coils off the spring, use a 4-40 set screw to seal it off. Nice and easy and pretty cheap. The tap cost me $8.40 and the set screws were $6.40 for 100 (only way I could find them. I used Fastenal for both)

Before: In the event you have never taken one apart the hole we are talking about is the tiny one on the right side of the rear of the lower receiver

Put some grease on the tap to catch the shavings.

Tap the receiver, straight and slow. You only need to go in the depth of your set screws. Not very deep at all. I used WD40 with the tube to blow the shavings back out that the grease did not pick up.

Lube up and insert rear pivot pin, drop in detent pin

Insert spring after cutting 3-4 coils

Thread the set screw in flush with the receiver and you are done.

No need to use Loc-Tite once the stock goes on there is no way it will back out.

All finished

Comment

Another.
          Originally posted by kbscobravert
          Here is another one. Installing the front pivot pin is the biggest pain in the ass when assembling the lower. It never fails to fire off the detent and spring causing the detent to get lost. It is a juggle that you really need three hands for. Insert tip.

There is actually a tool that is sold for $10-15 but you may find my way a little cheaper.

I went to Fastenal and bought a ¼” x 1 ¾” clevis pin. It only came in a pack of 5 but for $2.40 my cost per is less than $.50 and I didn’t have to wait on it to show up in the mail.

Insert spring then slide the clevis pin in from the left to right. Push the spring down and slide the clevis over it. Rotate clevis and insert brass detent.

Push detent down with a small awl or allen wrench until the clevis can be turned 90*

Clean then lube new front detent pin

Use new detent pin to push the clevis pin out the other side. Make sure to line up the receiving groove. Push the pivot pin against the receiver as you are sliding it into the pivot holes.

ALL DONE…..took me less than a minute to install front pivot pin and no lost parts.

Comment

good info, added a few more parts I forgot.
            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by whitetrash View Post
              maybe add that in the assembly of the lower the spring that has one side slightly larger is for the trigger assembly. that was the only thing that really threw me off. thinking i may have used the wrong one there
              And the larger side goes down into the trigger. I use a little punch to push it to the bottom.

Comment

im thinking about building one. what are some good websites to look for all this stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by runin90lx View Post
                  im thinking about building one. what are some good websites to look for all this stuff?
                  palmetto state armory
                  redxarms

pretty good places with good prices.
                  "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                  "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Thanks

Comment

For anyone concerned or worried, assembling (notice I didn't say building) an AR is freaking easy. I've assembled four so far without a hitch. My wife has one that is all PSA parts. I have a 6.8 SPC built on a PSA lower with a CMMG upper. I also have another PSA one and my first ever built I sold. I may or may not ever get into the 300 BLK game. I'm leaning more towards a PSA 10 for my next one.

Honestly all you need are basic hand tools. If you look at AR15.com they have great guides with lots of ways to work around specialty or tools you may not have. I have a small brass punch set and a brass / nylon hammer and an AR15 armorers tool. I could probably assemble 50+ ARs a day if I had to.

One thing I do recommend for the money is the QMS trigger. For the money it is a lot better than the ones found in your average parts kit.

Now it's not a Timney, Giselle, or any other fancy trigger. It is a mil spec trigger, but it is a mil spec trigger done pretty good with quality springs. And buying it means you will have spare springs and trigger parts in case you ever need them.

There is also a small spare parts kit on Amazon for around $10 that has a few of every spring, pin and detent that goes into a lower. I have a few of them in my parts box just in case. Yes I've lost detents flying across the house to who knows where.... and I don't have to worry since I have spares.

Comment

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, was looking around and didn't see a clear answer. I want to use one of my last 2 lowers from a group buy to build a AR pistol if I remember correctly they were registered as "other" not rifle, that would be legal for a pistol build correct? I have the receipt but it doesn't specify.

Comment

Originally posted by Mopar63 View Post
                          Sorry to dredge up an old thread, was looking around and didn't see a clear answer. I want to use one of my last 2 lowers from a group buy to build a AR pistol if I remember correctly they were registered as "other" not rifle, that would be legal for a pistol build correct? I have the receipt but it doesn't specify.

As long as they aren't registered as a rifle lower you'll be fine. From what I understand once you've assembled the gun your supposed to register it as a pistol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It's whats on the 4473 that matters. I'm sure if they are receiver the FFL would have registered them as "other"

Comment

Thanks guys, in today's environment I just want to keep on the straight and narrow.

Comment

Want to sell the other lower?

Comment

Working...
                                X