No announcement yet.

.308 projectile input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decided to go ahead and pick up a Bartlein barrel and I have a couple options. The length I can get it in from Southern Precision Rifles is 29" and I can go with a 1:10 twist (sold out) or a 1:11.25 twist. How much of a difference is there going to be between the two? I haven't decided if I want to spend the extra money to have the barrel cut down to a shorter length and recrowned. Right now I'm leaning towards not doing that.
    Originally posted by Jester
    Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
    He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
    Originally posted by Denny
    What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
    FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
      Decided to go ahead and pick up a Bartlein barrel and I have a couple options. The length I can get it in from Southern Precision Rifles is 29" and I can go with a 1:10 twist (sold out) or a 1:11.25 twist. How much of a difference is there going to be between the two? I haven't decided if I want to spend the extra money to have the barrel cut down to a shorter length and recrowned. Right now I'm leaning towards not doing that.
      Most of his aren't prefit so there will be a minimal amount of fitting. Usually a inch or so off the crown area and about that much in the shank. Both twist will be fine for your intended use. A couple other places that carry barrels are third generation shooting, brunos and grizzly machine. If a barrel is out of stock be prepared to wait 3 months or so depending on where they are in the cycle of bores.
      "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
        Most of his aren't prefit so there will be a minimal amount of fitting. Usually a inch or so off the crown area and about that much in the shank. Both twist will be fine for your intended use. A couple other places that carry barrels are third generation shooting, brunos and grizzly machine. If a barrel is out of stock be prepared to wait 3 months or so depending on where they are in the cycle of bores.
        Ok so a 29" blank will be closer to 26" or 27" when it's all said and done?
        Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
          Ok so a 29" blank will be closer to 26" or 27" when it's all said and done?
          Correct. There are a few contours tgat come longer like a palma contour but most are shipped around 29-32". You can specify longer, different twist or grove count but you will wait usually. They typically keep the most popular on hand. I would go around 26" as a max length anything longer can be very cumbersome in the field or comps.

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
            Correct. There are a few contours tgat come longer like a palma contour but most are shipped around 29-32". You can specify longer, different twist or grove count but you will wait usually. They typically keep the most popular on hand. I would go around 26" as a max length anything longer can be very cumbersome in the field or comps.
            Will a 1:11.25 twist ratio still be limited to a 175gr - 180gr projectile as an optimum projectile for the barrel?

Comment

It might do a 208 but your bc will likely suffer some even though it is stabilized. The 175-190 is really about as heavy as one should go in 308 and still mag feed unless you are running a long action.

Comment

To crimp or not to crimp?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I would crimp a semi auto.
                  "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                  "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I'm thinking about picking up the RCBS Competition die set and noticed it didn't come with a crimp die. Wondered if that would be an issue in a bolt action.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

no
                      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

No issue not using crimp in bolt actions. I don't use a crimp on my .308 loads for my bolt guns and have never had an issue.
                        "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

no crimp

Comment

I don't crimp anything besides tube mag feed ammo and pistol ammo. Neck tension is more than sufficient for holding.

Comment

Working...
                            X