circuit board repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• circuit board repair

Does anyone here do circuit board repair? I picked up a touch screen wifi thermostat from work and found that one of the circuits on the board is damaged. Not sure if it is a capacitor or what but it has broken free from the board and looking for someone who can solder it back in place.
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

go to Fry's and get a new capacitor. Solder it yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
      go to Fry's and get a new capacitor. Solder it yourself.

This is NOT the thermostat base, I can get a good picture of one that is installed in a house later. But these look like the component that was broken loose (the white squares)

It appears to be in good shape, all of the prongs are still attached and appear to be undamaged, no need to replace I don't think, however, it was separated from the board. I have a cheap soldering iron and I think the tip is too large for this kind of work. I may swing by radio shack this weekend and see if I can find a smaller tip. I always thought circuit board repair required some certain/special equipment to help ensure that you don't damage the board.

Comment

The white squares are not capacitors. Those two silver round things in the top-left quadrant of the board are capacitors. You don't need anything special to resolder that chip back to the board, just make sure you don't let the solder points touch each other after you're done.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
          The white squares are not capacitors. Those two silver round things in the top-left quadrant of the board are capacitors. You don't need anything special to resolder that chip back to the board, just make sure you don't let the solder points touch each other after you're done.
          I figured capacitor was wrong! Its been a while since I have really dealt with any circuit type stuff.

I'll give it a go and see what happens!

Comment

Grind your soldering iron tip down on your shop floor.. prison shank style

Comment

I could handle that for you man, what part of town are you?
              DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Originally posted by HarrisonTX View Post
                I could handle that for you man, what part of town are you?
                I'm in Greenville.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Those white parts look like relays. If it came off and is intact, I think it just had bad solder joints. It can be soldered back on. I would check the rest of the board for broken solder joints and retouch them up.

As a former electronic technician, I would resolder the whole board.
                  Last edited by TexasDevilDog; 09-11-2016, 12:01 PM.
                  class joke
                  {
                  private:
                  char Forrest, Jenny, Momma, LtDan;
                  double Peas, Carrots;
                  string MommaAlwaysSaid(const bool AddAnyTime = True)
                  };

Comment

class joke
                    {
                    private:
                    char Forrest, Jenny, Momma, LtDan;
                    double Peas, Carrots;
                    string MommaAlwaysSaid(const bool AddAnyTime = True)
                    };

Comment

exactly what I was about to post, low signal relays, replacements from mouser. Just solder the damn thing back on, if it works, it works. If it doesn't, fuck it, it was free. Make sure you don't use too much power when resoldering also.
                      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Working...
                      X