New desktop build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New desktop build.

Looking for some input on this new build I'm planning on putting together. My current desktop is 5-6 years old and is taking a shit on me. I have close to $900 in Amazon gift cards I'm using to buy these components so most of this stuff will come from Amazon.

Current desktop is an AMD FX-8120 octacore processor that's overclocked to 4GHz, 16GB of DDR3 RAM, and a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 mobo.

I'm pretty sure the mobo is the cause of my current problems so I decided to go ahead and upgrade.

Current build components:
    Intel Core i7 6700K 4GHz processor
    Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 mobo
    32GB Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 (PC4-19200) RAM
    MasterCase Maker 5 Mid-Tower Compuer Case with FreeForm Modular System, Upgraded I/O with 3.0 Type C, Magnetic LED Strip, Magnetic Paneling, Sound Supression, and Cooling Bracket

Reusing my 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (EVGA)
    238GB Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256GB

Going with some sort of liquid cooling kit.

It should be a pretty nice upgrade over my current build and should run faster than what I have. The 6700K seems to be a fairly stable and performance option.
    Originally posted by Jester
    Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
    He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
    Originally posted by Denny
    What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
    FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

The only thing I would do differently is ditching the SATA based SSD and going with an m.2 drive if that motherboard supports it. If the motherboard doesnt, I would get one that does.

I have a self-contained corsair CPU liquid cooler that works great, I would look for a self-contained unit too for your video card too as maintaining your own feels archaic at this point.

The CPU is a good pick, I havent used an AMD in about 7 years, I'll probably never go back at this point.
    Last edited by abecx; 12-27-2016, 10:52 AM.

Comment

We just build almost an identical computer for my girlfriend. We used 2 m.2 512g hard drives, and GeForce gtx1070oc. The only issue I had was setting the raid setup on the hard drives. Apparently all that needs to be done before installing the operating system

Comment

Buddy of mine swears by this.

They will do a print out to show what components they used to reach these results.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
          Buddy of mine swears by this.

They will do a print out to show what components they used to reach these results.
          That is pretty neat, but seems like an extreme level of min/maxing your components similar to blue printing your engine the old school way. I don't see the point for todays processor loads other than saying that you're able to overclock to a specific speed.

To synopsis what the site is for: When semi-conductors are created, they perform failure testing on them. There is always some level of defect in the process that vendors will adjust by underclocking the chip. However some chips will test outstanding which means they are able to be overclocked higher than the default with a great degree of success.

Intel typically sells their CPUs at about 70% capacity to account for failure at specific speeds due to manufacturing process. This increases the amount of CPUs they can sell (ie. setting the bar low so more chips pass ). On the flip side, AMD typically is closer to the top end of the performance you can expect to get out of your CPU. If you're lucky you can get a CPU that can easily have its speed increased because its manufacturing was better. The better the manufacturing, the greater the operating speed the CPU can handle before failure. Failure being bluescreen of death, or other unrepairable CPU results to the OS.

Unless you're looking to overclock specifically for a reason, its not worth it. I haven't felt the need to overclock any component in nearly a decade.
          Last edited by abecx; 12-27-2016, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by abecx View Post
            That is pretty neat, but seems like an extreme level of min/maxing your components similar to blue printing your engine the old school way. I don't see the point for todays processor loads other than saying that you're able to overclock to a specific speed.
            I've not priced it out, but he say's it's like $50 for them to pry it open, clean it out, and add a more efficient thermal paste or what ever they use. I forget which i7 he has, but he was able to over clock to 5.3ghz, and it reach a max temp of 80C at 100% load for half an hour. He also runs one of the corsair self contained cpu coolers. Unsure which one.

Comment

The mobo does support M2 connections. Will any SSD support that or only newer ones?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
              Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.

Comment

I've not priced it out, but he say's it's like $50 for them to pry it open, clean it out, and add a more efficient thermal paste or what ever they use. I forget which i7 he has, but he was able to over clock to 5.3ghz, and it reach a max temp of 80C at 100% load for half an hour. He also runs one of the corsair self contained cpu coolers. Unsure which one.
                Or there's this. http://rockitcool.myshopify.com/

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                  The mobo does support M2 connections. Will any SSD support that or only newer ones?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
                  You have to get an M.2 drive. They might be a little more expensive, but they are WAY faster than a regular SATA SSD.

Comment

You have to get an M.2 drive. They might be a little more expensive, but they are WAY faster than a regular SATA SSD.
                    Looks like of like a stick of ram. I can't imagine how fast they are. My samsung evo 850 is stupid fast. My pc boots up before my monitor even clicks on.

Comment

I want a 1TB M.2 drive. I don't want to pay what they're asking for them, though

Comment

We used the m2 hard drive to run light room on. Now when she opens a catalog with RAW files all the pictures load immediately on the old computer it would load a few then wait a few minutes the it would load more

Comment

Looks like of like a stick of ram. I can't imagine how fast they are. My samsung evo 850 is stupid fast. My pc boots up before my monitor even clicks on.
                          I went from 600MBps on a raid 0 setup with 2 SSD's to 3GBps using 1 m.2 drive. In comparison, my physical memory runs only 1GBps faster when I do a memory based partition.

Comment

I have a self-contained corsair CPU liquid cooler that works great, I would look for a self-contained unit too for your video card too as maintaining your own feels archaic at this point.
                            Is this what you're referring to?

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                              He's talking about a CPU cooler. The corsair h100 series.

Comment

Working...
                              X