DIG diy irrigation system.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIG diy irrigation system.

Our house was built in 1987 and in the last 30 years, there was never an irrigation system installed. I'm great about watering the flower beds for the first couple of weeks, then everything stresses and dies because of inconsistent watering. I dont have the $$$ to put in full irrigation right now, so I did some research and landed on theDIG stuff from home depot.

For about $100 I was able to set up mist sprayers and irrigation for my planters in my flower beds. On the initial test, everything sprays as designed. I need to add a few more sprayers and bubblers for adequate coverage. The next step will be to set up their 1/2" drip irrigation line to water the foundation. I purchased this line with everything else, so it is included in that $100. The drip irrigation should cover 1/2 of the foundation and the mist/spray system covers the flower bed in the front/side yard.

I have everything ran through a 2 zone electronic timer for zero maintenance.

No photos yet. I'll get some posted over the next couple of days. The lines need cleaned up and mulched over.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Drip irrigation setups are nice. I put in a 3 zone system a couple years ago like you to water the foundation and the flower beds...I just dont have any flowers.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
      Drip irrigation setups are nice. I put in a 3 zone system a couple years ago like you to water the foundation and the flower beds...I just dont have any flowers.
      I went with sprayers for the most part for the flower beds. I need to make some adjustments and add some bubblers for the crape myrtles. I was able to service 1/2 of my house off of one of their drip lines for the foundation, which was nice. Previously I had to run multiple zones on timers front and back to get even watering. I have probably 90-95' of the drip line running off of one zone on my front timer and everything seems to be putting out the same amount of water. Next weekend I'll get the other half of the house set up. It will be a little more difficult. I will have to run a solid line around my paver patio, under the grill deck, to get to the other side of the house. Hopefully not being able to water the center section (approx. 20') won't cause me too much grief with the foundation.

Comment

I've wondered about these... do you get to customize the drip system for the parts of your house that tend to get more heat than other sides? In my old house, I recall one side getting extremely hot due to it facing West, being fenced so very little air flow, havning the AC condenser on that side, and being a 40' ish brick wall. The East side wasn't nearly as hot since it started to get shaded after lunch.

I had soaker hoses and would water one side more than others.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
          I've wondered about these... do you get to customize the drip system for the parts of your house that tend to get more heat than other sides? In my old house, I recall one side getting extremely hot due to it facing West, being fenced so very little air flow, havning the AC condenser on that side, and being a 40' ish brick wall. The East side wasn't nearly as hot since it started to get shaded after lunch.

I had soaker hoses and would water one side more than others.
          If you are referring to the drip irrigation line I'm using for foundation watering. No, it isn't adjustable. It compensates for pressure along the line so that each port gives off the same amount of water.

There is an individual port every 8-12". You could double the line and stagger the ports for more watering along that side of the house, though, putting more water into the soil on one side of the house than the other can cause just as much damage as not enough water.

Also keep in mind, for those of you with post tension cable foundations, DO NOT put your drip line up against the foundation, place it at at the edge of the roof. If you place it against your foundation, you are basically pouring water down directly under the exterior beam of the foundation and that hydraulic pressure has a great potential to lift portions of the house and break the foundation.

Comment

Working...
          X