kids mowing the lawn???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kids mowing the lawn???

what age did you start your kids off mowing the yard. Jr is 10 and i had him mow the backyard last night. did a pretty good job.

god bless.
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

mine is ten months.

i pulled the handle apart to lower the controls to the lower portion, like his little walker toy. gas is now in smaller jugs so he can lift them. i got everything pretty much set up.

it all came to a halt when my wife caught me trying to show him how to start it the pull string.

patience.

Comment

9 or 10 I believe.
      Originally posted by BradM
      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
      Originally posted by Leah
      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Never. My kid has allergies as bad as me. I've never mowed a lawn in my life. Extended time around fresh cut grass can take me out for days. Stoopid.

Comment

It's 2 things for me. One, is he strong enough to safely handle the mower? Two, can I trust him to not screw it up or am I going to have to stand there by him the whole time? My oldest is 13 and he mows by himself now whether I'm home or not. We had someone cutting the grass up until last fall or he would have started earlier.

Comment

10 is a good age to start....what sucks is kids are sissy's these days vs our days, if it doesnt have a screen or keyboard they dont know who to use it ...my pops started me at 7!

I started my step boy at 10! and he's 16 now and is just now getting the hang of it.
            Originally posted by Da Prez
            Fuck dfwstangs!! If Jose ain't running it, I won't even bother going back to it, just my two cents!!
            Originally posted by VETTKLR

Cliff Notes: I can beat the fuck out of a ZR1

Comment

cool. Jr is pretty big for a 10yr old @ just over 100lbs. the mower is not self propelled, so its good exercise!

god bless.
              It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
                cool. Jr is pretty big for a 10yr old @ just over 100lbs. the mower is not self propelled, so its good exercise!

god bless.
                Yep that is good! he going to be a worker....my neighbors look at me crazy when they see my boys doing yard work.
                Originally posted by Da Prez
                Fuck dfwstangs!! If Jose ain't running it, I won't even bother going back to it, just my two cents!!
                Originally posted by VETTKLR

Cliff Notes: I can beat the fuck out of a ZR1

Comment

My 11 y/o is using our riding lawnmower for ours and does an outstanding job.

Comment

My son turns 9 this summer, and he's aging at the time when I'm just about to pay to have it done.

Comment

Around 10 is when I started my son mowing. I would still do the perimeter mowing along fences and house for 2-3 circuits, then hand it over to him. Would stand on porch and watch foes few times, then watched less and less with each time until I knew I didn't have to play over watch anymore.
                      "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Mine are 7 and I've considered it, but ours is too big for a push mower all the time. They are a little short to safely operate the riding mower right now. Wish the garden tractors were like the old days where you put it in a gear and it just went that speed.

That's another reason for not pushing it too fast - with the new mowers they can go full blast too easily.
                        Originally posted by MR EDD
                        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

What about daughters? Not gonna lie, back in the day I made my 11-12 year old daughter mow the yard while I edged. It was more for punishment at times and also to make her realize what this kind of chore is like. That might have lasted a year, maybe two. My son helped a time or to last year at 9 years old. I'll probably get him to help again this year and pay him an allowance. He has allergies too so I have to see how he does. I guess my goal is to make them realize what it takes to maintain a yard. Both of them (other daughter) have been asking to ride the riding mower at our other place but I'm afraid he'll break an axle or something.
                          Last edited by GeorgeG.; 04-24-2017, 11:50 AM.

Comment

I was mowing the yard with supervision by 9. I was also helping my dad bleed brakes on the Torino and doing tune-ups around the same age. He made sure I knew how to do things. By the time I was 13 I owned 2 self propelled mowers, an edger, weed eater and leaf blower and had regular yard care jobs all over Duncanville and Desoto and was making WAY more tax free money than my sister that had a normal job. She HATED me for it.

Comment

I started mowing our yard at 8. My son is 5, haven't given any thought to it. He does follow me around with his bubble mower and pretend that he's mowing.
                              Originally posted by davbrucas
                              I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Working...
                              X