kids mowing the lawn???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
    I was mowing the yard with supervision by 9. I was also helping my dad bleed brakes on the Torino and doing tune-ups around the same age. He made sure I knew how to do things. By the time I was 13 I owned 2 self propelled mowers, an edger, weed eater and leaf blower and had regular yard care jobs all over Duncanville and Desoto and was making WAY more tax free money than my sister that had a normal job. She HATED me for it.
    Ha! That's awesome. Just last week two boys from our neighborhood asked me if I wanted them to mow the yard. I passed obviously since I'm capable but later that day they came back around and one of them asked me to guess what they made. They earned $140 for an afternoon's worth of work between the two of them. I relayed that to my son and his mouth just about hit the floor. I told him "just think of how many pokemon cards that would buy!" Hopefully this will entice him to venture out and try it.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
      What about daughters? Not gonna lie, back in the day I made my 11-12 year old daughter mow the yard while I edged. It was more for punishment at times and also to make her realize what this kind of chore is like. That might have lasted a year, maybe two. My son helped a time or to last year at 9 years old. I'll probably get him to help again this year and pay him an allowance. He has allergies too so I have to see how he does. I guess my goal is to make them realize what it takes to maintain a yard. Both of them (other daughter) have been asking to ride the riding mower at our other place but I'm afraid he'll break an axle or something.
      Lawn care is not a boy thing only. I have one of each at 7 y/o and they are both gonna mow, pull weeds...etc.
      Originally posted by MR EDD
      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
        I was mowing the yard with supervision by 9. I was also helping my dad bleed brakes on the Torino and doing tune-ups around the same age. He made sure I knew how to do things. By the time I was 13 I owned 2 self propelled mowers, an edger, weed eater and leaf blower and had regular yard care jobs all over Duncanville and Desoto and was making WAY more tax free money than my sister that had a normal job. She HATED me for it.
        This. I learned so much from my dad. Part of it was necessity when we didn't have enough money to get a car and I had to keep changing starters on that Oldsmobile 88 diesel. Part of it was him making sure I would know what needed to be done when I got older. People ask me why I work on my own stuff now. The answer is because I can and should. Man I miss that guy. I'm trying to make sure my kids know the same. They help me change oil all the time, and the oldest has done brakes with me. Last time I had to work on the mower, I instructed and let him do the work. Good stuff.

Mom's mower wouldn't crank 2 weeks ago. My brother looked at it and couldn't get it going. He called me and said we need to get her a new mower. I went up there a few days later with a new plug, air filter, and spent about 15 minutes taking fuel lines loose and opening the carb bell to make sure all was working. Started right up...

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
          This. I learned so much from my dad. Part of it was necessity when we didn't have enough money to get a car and I had to keep changing starters on that Oldsmobile 88 diesel. Part of it was him making sure I would know what needed to be done when I got older. People ask me why I work on my own stuff now. The answer is because I can and should. Man I miss that guy. I'm trying to make sure my kids know the same. They help me change oil all the time, and the oldest has done brakes with me. Last time I had to work on the mower, I instructed and let him do the work. Good stuff.

Mom's mower wouldn't crank 2 weeks ago. My brother looked at it and couldn't get it going. He called me and said we need to get her a new mower. I went up there a few days later with a new plug, air filter, and spent about 15 minutes taking fuel lines loose and opening the carb bell to make sure all was working. Started right up...
          I will be doing the same with Lance. He will be helping me just as soon as he is old enough!

I take pride in doing my own maintenance and work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
          Originally posted by Leah
          Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

My boy was 10 and the mower he had was an old Sears non-propelled. When he turned 14 I bought him a nice, new self propelled Cub Cadet mulcher mower.
            Both were better than the wooden handled blade cutter that I used at 10-16 yrs old...
            Originally posted by Silverback
            Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

I was using a riding mower around age 10. Weedeater at 13.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
                I started mowing our yard at 8. My son is 5, haven't given any thought to it. He does follow me around with his bubble mower and pretend that he's mowing.
                Man, eat those years up. My boy is 15 now, in HS, and thinks he knows everything. I'd give up everything to go back to those days. They pass way too fast.
                Originally posted by BradM
                But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                  Man, eat those years up. My boy is 15 now, in HS, and thinks he knows everything. I'd give up everything to go back to those days. They pass way too fast.
                  I always heard people talk about how fast time passes with kids. I didn't give it much though until mine came along. He is 10 months old now and it feels like he was just born yesterday. He already has 8 teeth and damn near walking on his own. If feels like tomorrow he will be getting his license and heading off to college!
                  Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                    I always heard people talk about how fast time passes with kids. I didn't give it much though until mine came along. He is 10 months old now and it feels like he was just born yesterday. He already has 8 teeth and damn near walking on his own. If feels like tomorrow he will be getting his license and heading off to college!
                    Teach him to mow the lawn first.

Comment

7 to 8ish

Comment

I'll also say I grew up on a farm and was driving small tractors etc at the same.age. doing hay work and driving the truck laying irrigation etc. Feed the bottle calf morning and evening etc.

Puts a good head on your shoulders

Comment

I can't figure out how some friends I have teen boys around loafing about with their friends while Dad works 50+ hour weeks and still comes home and handles all the yard work and honey-do's. I'd be kicking those boys and they friends out in the yard to get the work done. No free ride. I knew better than to show up at one of my friend's houses because his Mom would put us all to work and you didn't want to tell her no. :P

Comment

Working...
                          X