Train Engineer tries to wreck into Navy Ship Mercy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Train Engineer tries to wreck into Navy Ship Mercy

Prosecutors charged a locomotive engineer who worked at the Port of Los Angeles with intentionally derailing a train at full speed near the US Navy Hospital Ship Mercy because of suspicions over it and activities surrounding COVID-19, according to a federal criminal complaint.

Eduardo Moreno, 44, of San Pedro was charged with one count under a little known federal statute of train wrecking, which carries a maximum sentence of up to 20 years in the incident which took place Tuesday, according to the 10-page criminal complaint unsealed Wednesday in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles.

After he was arrested, Moreno was held overnight and subsequently turned over to FBI agents Wednesday morning. Prosecutors allege Moreno ran the train off the end of tracks, and crashed through a series of barriers before coming to rest more than 250 yards from the Mercy in an incident captured on video.

The train leaked fuel oil which required clean up by fire and other hazardous materials personnel, but no one was hurt in the incident. A CHP officer who witnessed the crash and took Moreno into custody told authorities he saw the train smash through a barrier at the end of the tracks before plowing through several obstacles including a steel barrier and chain-link fence. It then slid through a parking lot, across another lot filled with gravel, and smashed into a second chain-link fence, according to the affidavit.

Moreno allegedly told the officer, "You only get this chance once. The whole world is watching. I had to. People don't know what's going on here. Now they will," the complaint alleges.

Moreno, who waived his right to speak to an attorney before being interviewed by investigators, admitted in two post-arrest interviews, that he intentionally ran the train off the track because wanted to bring attention to the government's activities regarding COVID-19, and was suspicious of the U.S.N.S. Mercy.

In his first interview with the Los Angeles Port Police, Moreno acknowledged that he "did it," saying that he was suspicious of the Mercy and believing it had an alternate purpose related to COVID-19 or a government takeover, the affidavit states.

Moreno also told investigators he acted alone and had not pre-planned the attempted attack. While admitting to intentionally derailing and crashing the train, he said he knew it would bring media attention and "people could see for themselves," referring to the Mercy, according to the affidavit.

In a second interview with FBI agents, Moreno stated that, "he did it out of the desire to 'wake people up,'" according to the affidavit. "Moreno stated that he thought that the U.S.N.S. Mercy was suspicious and did not believe 'the ship is what they say it's for.'"

Prosecutors charged a locomotive engineer who worked at the Port of Los Angeles with intentionally derailing a train at full speed near the US Navy Hospital Ship Mercy because of suspicions over it and activities surrounding COVID-19, according to a federal criminal complaint.
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Well he's got a set of balls, I'll give 'em that.
    WH

Comment

Captain Crawfish?

Comment

Mental illness sure seems more prevalent these days, or is it an illusion because we're able to hear about it more often via technology?

Comment

When I worked for the railroad and had my student engineers card. When those big 18wheelers or passenger vehicles would foul the crossing our instructor would tell us to not hit the brakes until you hear metal crunch. Thankfully I never had to be put in that situation.

Comment

So what exactly does he think the ship is for?
            Originally posted by Marisa
            we women are all irrational and emotional and insane...some just hide it better than others.

truth.

Comment

Originally posted by red89notch View Post

Comment

Originally posted by red89notch View Post
                He thought they were breeding more of the virus in it.
                WH

Comment

Well that's one way to end your career forever and to end up in prison for a LONG TIME. He SHOULD be charged with domestic terrorism.

Comment

There should've been one count of attempted murder for every single person on the train and on the ship. along with terrorism charges.

And death by hanging in front of the city hall the day he's found guilty. No appeals.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
                      There should've been one count of attempted murder for every single person on the train and on the ship. along with terrorism charges.

And death by hanging in front of the city hall the day he's found guilty. No appeals.
                      I'm gonna take a wild guess and say he was probably the only person on the train.

Comment

Was it our Freightrain? Did he lose his mind after the market collapse tanked the cowskin rug index?

Comment

No appeals.
                          Dude is obviously a nut, but ease up Mein Führer.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                            Dude is obviously a nut, but ease up Mein Führer.
                            People watched him do it. He says he did it. Why should he get a dozen appeals?

I know, bill of rights. But damn, sometimes the system just doesn't make sense.

Comment

People watched him do it. He says he did it. Why should he get a dozen appeals?

I know, bill of rights. But damn, sometimes the system just doesn't make sense.
                              Sure it does. If you make one exception, where does it stop?

Comment

Working...
                              X