Differential Cover Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differential Cover Question

I installed a G2 differential cover on my 95 GT, mostly due to the drain plug for future service.

When I installed it, I only filled it with the recommended amount of gear oil in the service manual. I didn't fill it until it started to overflow from the fill plug.

Those that have aftermarket covers, what do you do? If it filled it up all the way, looks like it would take a LOT of fluid and I didn't want to overfill it. The fill plug on the cover is much higher than the factory plug on the back of the housing.

Of course the cover came with no instructions. And here's a link to the one I installed if it matters.

color me stupid, but isnt half the point of an aftermarket diff cover to use more fluid to increase cooling?

Comment

I would fill till it start to come out of fill plug on the side

2003 f250
      1990 mustang gt stock 68k miles
      1990 mustang gt 347 t56
      1994 peterbilt 377 dump truck 450hp cat
      1997 freightliner 500hp detriot[/FONT]

Comment

Fill till spill
        Half of history is hiding the past.

Comment

Originally posted by 4bangen View Post
          color me stupid, but isnt half the point of an aftermarket diff cover to use more fluid to increase cooling?
          I think when they're advertised as such, usually in truck applications for towing.

Mustangs don't have much space to make the cover bigger, due to the rear sway bar being close to it. This one doesn't appear to be any bigger.

Comment

Fill from the back until it comes out the factory fill plug, or just use the factory plug. I'm sure the cover holds more than stock.
            2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Comment

I put on a LPW Ultra low profile girdle when greenbullit installed my 4.56s in my '00 GT. You just fill until it starts to ooze out, then button her up. About as simple as it gets.

Comment

Working...
                X