No announcement yet.

Random POLITICAL picture of the day !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK. I liked the idea of the student loan forgiveness for vets that Trump did today. But I got to thinking, Shouldn't vets be covered by the GI Bill ? Why would they have student loans . (I guess they could accrue before their service).

Comment

• Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
      OK. I liked the idea of the student loan forgiveness for vets that Trump did today. But I got to thinking, Shouldn't vets be covered by the GI Bill ? Why would they have student loans . (I guess they could accrue before their service).
      I was discussing this with a vet friend at work that I served with. He said it could be from advanced degrees, things not covered by the GI Bill, or classes after expiration of GI Bill benefits. He made good points, that could well be the kinds of things that are the case.
      "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

• Originally posted by helosailor View Post
        I was discussing this with a vet friend at work that I served with. He said it could be from advanced degrees, things not covered by the GI Bill, or classes after expiration of GI Bill benefits. He made good points, that could well be the kinds of things that are the case.
        Thanks. I'm happy he did this. These men and women deserve everything we can do for them.

Comment

• I actually am a vet with a student loan. With my Master's degree I took so many hours a year the gov't wouldn't pay some of them. I took out a small loan at the last semester. It's at 2% interest, so there is no incentive to pay it back. I think I owe like 3k or so. Is it really forgiveness though if you never missed a payment? Sounds more like loan dismissal to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
            I actually am a vet with a student loan. With my Master's degree I took so many hours a year the gov't wouldn't pay some of them. I took out a small loan at the last semester. It's at 2% interest, so there is no incentive to pay it back. I think I owe like 3k or so. Is it really forgiveness though if you never missed a payment? Sounds more like loan dismissal to me.
            In your case, it is dismissal. Either way, I still do not like our tax dollars just being given away. In this case though, I am much more able to accept it for veterans than for just anyone at random. Tuition has risen so much over the last 20 years and continues to soar at a ridiculous rate. Vets typically postpone school for a few years and often take a longer timeline to get a degree than the non-vet who goes to school full time and right away. That puts them at a disadvantage while putting our country at an advantage. If we're going to give something away, give it to those that sacrifice for our nation.

Related and worthy of a real discussion -- why is college so damn expensive now and why does every 30K a year job feel like they need someone with a degree (oil and gas not included)?

Comment

• Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
              OK. I liked the idea of the student loan forgiveness for vets that Trump did today. But I got to thinking, Shouldn't vets be covered by the GI Bill ? Why would they have student loans . (I guess they could accrue before their service).
              Wife was a Navy girl. She had the Hazelwood act that covered the classes only. Luckily we lived in a cheap house, I did some car flipping, and she worked one day a week. I could see someone accruing 10k in debt with books, rent, and such. Hell the tests in the end were like 2k.

And not only has it gotten ridiculous in price, they keep conveniently upping the requirements. A win for everyone.............but the tax payers. She has a bachelors in kinesiology/sports medicine but a year or so ago they voted to up the requirements for graduation to a masters. Imagine that. I mean what purpose other than to create a shortage and pull more money. Not to mention two more years of school. Hell in four my wife pulled like 1500 hours of on the field training. There is no way you could pull that off with no debt on your own. Sad thing is they want them to teach also. 100 hours a week easy andddd she no longer does that.

I was in a school of supervision a couple of years ago and there was a lady from some university there. She said she understood the hard hours we all worked and there were a few classes that would be waived to get our masters. I loved it when the guy running our school asked if it was any cheaper for full disclosure. Uh, no. 23k or something for online courses!
              Whos your Daddy?

Comment

• This entirely profitable college tuition and student loan scam needs to be squashed. College costs have quadrupled or more since I went but a new Mustang GT only costs 50-60% more. It’s way out of line with the rest of the economy. But we do have an entirely debt based economy, and universities are generating a lot of debt so the rich get richer.

Comment

• College WAS useful. Now its a scam, fueled by greedy banks and schools in bed with one another.

Comment

• Originally posted by helosailor View Post
                    things not covered by the GI Bill
                    That would be my guess, brother inlaw is finding out right now that they won't cover much of what he wants to do.
                    WH

Comment

• Gauntlet thrown in the downward direction.

Last edited by sc281; 08-23-2019, 12:19 PM.

Comment

• Scott Adams' thoughts on the tweet.

Start at 7:00

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X