Questions about Remington 870

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about Remington 870

I've been thinking about picking up a Remington 870 but I've heard bad things about the quality of the newer stuff. Any truth to that? And with so many models, what should I look for. I think I've read that the Express models are the low end stuff and I should be looking for the Wingmaster or Police model (think I remember that right). Any suggestions? Should I look for an older model?

If you're dead set on an 870, you get a way better gun with a police trade in gun over a new production 870. Also, the Freedom Group is a bunch of dirtbags, and if you can avoid giving them your money, you're better off.

If you just want a shotgun for self defense, you're better off with an autoloader.
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
      If you're dead set on an 870, you get a way better gun with a police trade in gun over a new production 870. Also, the Freedom Group is a bunch of dirtbags, and if you can avoid giving them your money, you're better off.

If you just want a shotgun for self defense, you're better off with an autoloader.
      I think Yale means a full semi autoloader.

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
        I think Yale means a full semi autoloader.
        You want one with both settings, clearly.

Comment

I prefer the Mossberg 590/500 over the 870. The safety being on the top of the receiver works better it you like to shoot left handed.
          Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Mainly looking at an 870 (and a pump) because I already have a Winchester Defender but want to add another shotgun and want to keep the actions similar. Eventually I will take a shotgun class and I want to learn with the pump action as well first. Figure it will be easier to learn with it first and eventually get an autoloader.

Not sure where I could find a police trade in but I am looking to buy a used one. Just wanted to get an idea on the various models of 870's.

Just curious but why do you feel the autoloader is a better choice? Right off the bat, I know autoloaders won't have issues with short stroking. Plus they have a faster rate of fire. But they are more expensive. picky on the ammo, and they are somewhat limited on size (barrel/stock length).

Comment

Almost none of them are picky about buckshot, and all of the reputable brand autoloaders run fine. In fact, these days you're more likely to wear out a pump than an auto. Action bars bend a lot easier than people expect they do. Another big reason is that reloading and keeping a shotgun topped off are the hardest task you will have with a shotgun that isn't shooting. Since you're going to task your offhand with that, adding in the job of running the action is just adding work for yourself you don't have to do, and it adds a training hurdle as well. I would look hard at a Beretta 1301 or a Benelli M2. If you can't swing that, the Mossberg 930 is the cheap autoloader to beat.

Comment

I have an 870 wingmaster that was made in the 50's and it is super nice. I have only run 5 rounds through it because I can bring myself to put any wear on it. That goes against how I have always felt about guns. I have always been a why have it if you don't shoot it attitude.

I am going to pick up a 930 like this soon.

Comment

Almost none of them are picky about buckshot, and all of the reputable brand autoloaders run fine. In fact, these days you're more likely to wear out a pump than an auto. Action bars bend a lot easier than people expect they do. Another big reason is that reloading and keeping a shotgun topped off are the hardest task you will have with a shotgun that isn't shooting. Since you're going to task your offhand with that, adding in the job of running the action is just adding work for yourself you don't have to do, and it adds a training hurdle as well. I would look hard at a Beretta 1301 or a Benelli M2. If you can't swing that, the Mossberg 930 is the cheap autoloader to beat.
                  But are the autos picky about reduced recoil loads or birdshot for training? And do the gas systems require extra maintenance? I know the 1301 has a semi weak spot with the loading mechanism and the 930, I've heard on here, has issues with some weak parts. But the Benelli is somewhat bullet proof and what I want to get when I can eventually afford one; either an M2 or M4. Forgot to add recoil reduction as a plus for autos.

I know if there is a weak link on a pump gun it would be the action bars. But I've only heard of that being an issue with guns that only have a single bar and haven't really heard of any issues with a double bar shotgun.

I'll be on a lookout for a good (cheap) 870 Police Model but eventually hope to get a Benelli M4.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
                    But are the autos picky about reduced recoil loads or birdshot for training? And do the gas systems require extra maintenance? I know the 1301 has a semi weak spot with the loading mechanism and the 930, I've heard on here, has issues with some weak parts. But the Benelli is somewhat bullet proof and what I want to get when I can eventually afford one; either an M2 or M4. Forgot to add recoil reduction as a plus for autos.

I know if there is a weak link on a pump gun it would be the action bars. But I've only heard of that being an issue with guns that only have a single bar and haven't really heard of any issues with a double bar shotgun.

I'll be on a lookout for a good (cheap) 870 Police Model but eventually hope to get a Benelli M4.
                    A lot of them have alternate recoil springs for light loads. I wouldn't let that concern stop me from getting an autoloader. And yes, double bar shotguns run better than single action bar shotguns, but they still get bent up when they're run hard and don't last as long as the current crop of good autoloaders.
                    Last edited by YALE; 04-22-2018, 03:36 PM.

Comment

I have an old 70's era wingmaster in a short barrel config. I had a huge boar charging me on a narrow game trail once and in the heat of the moment I broke the gun during a pump. I bent the action bar all to hell. That was one of the high quality ones. I personally would never trust my life to one after that.
                      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
                        Mainly looking at an 870 (and a pump) because I already have a Winchester Defender but want to add another shotgun and want to keep the actions similar. Eventually I will take a shotgun class and I want to learn with the pump action as well first. Figure it will be easier to learn with it first and eventually get an autoloader.

Not sure where I could find a police trade in but I am looking to buy a used one. Just wanted to get an idea on the various models of 870's.

Just curious but why do you feel the autoloader is a better choice? Right off the bat, I know autoloaders won't have issues with short stroking. Plus they have a faster rate of fire. But they are more expensive. picky on the ammo, and they are somewhat limited on size (barrel/stock length).
                        Jose,
                        Also look at the older Ithica model 37's. I believe the military and LE used these. One of the few shotguns that you can hold the trigger down and the pumping action will fire the next shot. A lot of home defence guys like this feature. I am told that it makes for faster follow-ups. I have one,(mdl-37) but have not modified it to home defence. I have a 870 police for that.

Downside --- 2-3/4" chamber

Comment

Jose, you can get a police turn-in up at Gt Distributors. We bought 2 recently, scratched up...but they come with nice mag extensions already. They had to order them from Austin, so takes a few days to get in...but a steal at just over $200 bucks!

Comment

Jose, have you considered a Stoeger? They have a Freedom series that might fill what you're looking for. I have the M3500 and can't recall any issues with it thus far. I've put well over 1000 rounds of bird shot through it by now. Actually I think I can recall buying some cheap ass ammo and it didn't like it but as long as I stick with the name brands, it's cycled fine.

I had a buddy that was a huge Benelli fanboy and while they are nice guns, the Stoeger was really close in comparison to his. I was definitely impressed considering the price differences.

Comment

A lot of them have alternate recoil springs for light loads. I wouldn't let that concern stop me from getting an autoloader. And yes, double bar shotguns run better than single action bar shotguns, but they still get bent up when they're run hard and don't last as long as the current crop of good autoloaders.
                              Well shit, sounds like I'm better off just keeping my Winchester 1300 Defender and saving my pennies up for an auto

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                              I have an old 70's era wingmaster in a short barrel config. I had a huge boar charging me on a narrow game trail once and in the heat of the moment I broke the gun during a pump. I bent the action bar all to hell. That was one of the high quality ones. I personally would never trust my life to one after that.
                              So what shotgun are you running now?

Originally posted by likeitfast55 View Post
                              Jose,
                              Also look at the older Ithica model 37's. I believe the military and LE used these. One of the few shotguns that you can hold the trigger down and the pumping action will fire the next shot. A lot of home defence guys like this feature. I am told that it makes for faster follow-ups. I have one,(mdl-37) but have not modified it to home defence. I have a 870 police for that.

Downside --- 2-3/4" chamber

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/766457626
                              Is that the same one that had a downward ejection?

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                              Jose, have you considered a Stoeger? They have a Freedom series that might fill what you're looking for. I have the M3500 and can't recall any issues with it thus far. I've put well over 1000 rounds of bird shot through it by now. Actually I think I can recall buying some cheap ass ammo and it didn't like it but as long as I stick with the name brands, it's cycled fine.

I had a buddy that was a huge Benelli fanboy and while they are nice guns, the Stoeger was really close in comparison to his. I was definitely impressed considering the price differences.
                              Never really looked into them before but will now.

Comment

Working...
                              X