EVOO - Health Benefits Questioned Over New Research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVOO - Health Benefits Questioned Over New Research

I read this the day it came out (I try to stay on top of this stuff as it greatly affects my industry), just havent had a chance to post it up. Anyhow, new research suggest olive oil not as healthy as they had previously thought.

In the most remarkable recent discovery about olive oil, it was found to reduce blood flow in arteries by 31 percent after consumption.

Most of us who watch the food channels are aware of cooking hosts touting EVOO -- extra virgin olive oil, that is. Everywhere we turn it is recommended that it be added to almost everything we eat in order to reap the health benefits of this numero uno oil. But I hate to burst the bubble: new reports are emerging that indicate it's not so great after all.

In the most remarkable recent discovery about olive oil, Dr. Robert Vogel at the University of Maryland reported in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology that olive oil was found to reduce blood flow in arteries by 31 percent after consumption. This is significant in relation to blood clots and heart attacks, as well as angina. It's suggested that people be aware of any relationship between consuming olive oil and an angina attack. Also, it was found that olive oil "causes significant damage" to the endothelial cells that line the inside of arteries. This damage causes inflammation which leads to atherosclerosis.

Dr. Dean Ornish reported these findings in an article written for Reader's Digest, and now recommends canola oil as the best alternative in cooking, since it contains much higher levels of omega 3, whereas olive oil has almost none.

Studies in the past have suggested that olive oil lowered cholesterol when it replaced oils higher in saturated fat. Dr. Ornish points out that it's not that olive oil is better for you, it's that olive oil is better than the higher saturated fat oils. That's because it didn't raise cholesterol as much.

The Pritikin Longevity Center agrees that olive oil "is not heart-healthy;" many other plant foods are more heart-healthy than olive oil. Dr. Vogel also reveals in his book, "The Pritikin Edge," that olive oil inhibits the release of nitric oxide into the body, but canola oil does not. Nitric oxide is the natural nitroglycerin of the body, expanding blood vessels and decreasing inflammation. The lack of nitric oxide also is correlated with a lack of penile erection.

On another note, laboratory testing done at the University of California at Davis in conjunction with the Australian sensory panel of 20 extra virgin olive oils sold at California retail stores revealed some surprising results. Sixty-nine percent of the imported olive oils and 10 percent of the California olive oils did not pass the standards of California, Australia and Germany for "extra virgin." Some were rancid, oxidized or of poor quality in general. One that passed with flying colors was Costco's Kirkland Organic brand. Some that didn't include Mazola, Pompeian and Bertolli. So even though we seek the best, there is no guarantee.

I have since begun to shy away from using olive oil as I did before. I used to add it to soups and sauces; I no longer do. I used to cook eggs with a tablespoon of olive oil; I no longer do. I used to use it in my salad dressing; I now use canola oil.

New information is constantly popping up about the foods we eat, and it's difficult to think that a food we think is healthful one day is junk the next. On the other hand, some foods, like eggs, that we once thought were bad for us, may have some health benefits. We can conclude that nothing is set in stone.

We need only to think back on what humans ate long before we began to process food, can food and before the creation of additives and preservatives. After all, olive oil is a processed food so to speak; just as fruit juice has been extracted from the whole fruit, but often contains added ingredients that make it unhealthy. We need to think about that. And so tomorrow is another day to evaluate yet another so-called wholesome food. What will be next?
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Well fuck, I guess I shouldn't eat anything anymore.

I guess I will just pan sear everything in butter from now on.

We buy the Costco olive oil FYI.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
      Well fuck, I guess I shouldn't eat anything anymore.
      I normally wouldn't post things like this, because EVERYTHING contains carcinogens these days, etc. However, the 31% reduction in blood flow is shocking, so I thought this was worth sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
        I normally wouldn't post things like this, because EVERYTHING contains carcinogens these days, etc. However, the 31% reduction in blood flow is shocking, so I thought this was worth sharing.
        Yea, that figure sounds like something I would see from a test done on Manteca.

Comment

Honestly, oil in general doesn't have near the health benefits as compared to negative effects.

Here's a little something from Dr. Fuhrman's book on oils...

"Fat, such as olive oil, can be stored on your body within minutes, without costing the body any caloric price; it is just packed away (unchanged) on your hips and waist. If we biopsied your waist fat and looked at it under an electron microscope, we could actually see where the fat came from. If is stored there as pig fat, dairy fat, and olive oil fat - just as it was in the original food. It goes from your lips right to your hips. Actually, more fat from your last meal is deposited around your waist than on your hips, for both men and women."

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
            Honestly, oil in general doesn't have near the health benefits as compared to negative effects.
            Agreed, but oil of some variety is necessary to cook with. Unless, of course, you go back to bacon grease or lard. Which I'm perfectly ok and comfortable with either. They are far worse, however, than EVOO, canola, sunflower, soybean oil, etc.

Comment

We need only to think back on what humans ate long before we began to process food, can food and before the creation of additives and preservatives. After all, olive oil is a processed food so to speak; just as fruit juice has been extracted from the whole fruit, but often contains added ingredients that make it unhealthy. We need to think about that. And so tomorrow is another day to evaluate yet another so-called wholesome food. What will be next?
              This is the most important part of that article

Comment

Agreed, but oil of some variety is necessary to cook with. Unless, of course, you go back to bacon grease or lard. Which I'm perfectly ok and comfortable with either. They are far worse, however, than EVOO, canola, sunflower, soybean oil, etc.
                no it's really not necessary to cook with. I don't use oil at all in everything I make... just sayin

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
                  no it's really not necessary to cook with. I don't use oil at all in everything I make... just sayin
                  You aren't eating sauteed veggies like onions or cabbage either. Water as a substitute, just isn't a good substitute. I've tried it with squash/zucchini.

Besides, not everyone is on a diet!

Comment

You aren't eating sauteed veggies like onions or cabbage either. Water as a substitute, just isn't a good substitute.

He is somewhat right. I only use EVOO for sautaying(SP?) a few things like chicken breast, etc. There are other ways to cook meals.

Comment

You aren't eating sauteed veggies like onions or cabbage either. Water as a substitute, just isn't a good substitute. I've tried it with squash/zucchini.

I'm just saying if you are cooking daily, then maybe cutting out as much oil as possible is your real solution. I get that getting rid of all oil is hard, but you make it sound impossible, and it's not.

And yes you can try sautee or water sautee veggies, sure they don't taste all oily and good but they are just fine

Comment

He is somewhat right. I only use EVOO for sautaying(SP?) a few things like chicken breast, etc. There are other ways to cook meals.
                        He's correct in not using it for most cooking. You simply can't sautee anything without oil or some sort of fat, and have it taste worth a crap.

Comment

He's correct in not using it for most cooking. You simply can't sautee anything without oil or some sort of fat, and have it taste worth a crap.
                          Honestly though, how often are you sauteeing or needing EVOO?

Comment

you know what does work? PAM! haha

Comment

Honestly though, how ofter are you sauteeing or needing EVOO?

I eat a LOT of onions, in tons of stuff. I'll put onion in damn near anything. I'd say 70% sauteed, 20% carmelized, 10% raw.

I just started on a diet, which is basically grilled chicken and whatever fruits and veggies I can get my hands on. No fried food, no pan seared meat, etc. But before the diet, I used EVOO daily in something, and a sauteed veggie every night, whether it be cabbage, squash and zucch, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X