Need Mechanic for Head Gasket for 99 Lightning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Mechanic for Head Gasket for 99 Lightning

Today, I was at my cousins muffler shop thinking I had an exhaust leak (ticking noise) in my 99 Lightning. I him look at the manifold and he told me it was the head gasket. He pointed it out to me and you could see oil surrounding the gasket as it was slightly bubbling and flapping.

Back in November, the truck overheated twice while waiting in line at the drive thru bank. I shut the truck off and never put much thought into it because I hardly drove it. Up until several weeks ago, I kept hearing a ticking noise. So today is when we found out its the head gasket. The truck doesnt overheat and ive checked the oil and it has no water in it, as of yet.

I stay in the Grand Prairie area, so any recommendations is greatly appreciated. Thank You

I hate to break it to you but you're going to need a lot more than just a head gasket. You may want to start looking for another engine.
    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Thus SVO hath spoken

Comment

Dammit... and it still runs and drives good too...smh

Comment

either the cab has to come off or the engine has to be removed to pull the heads....

sounds like it's time to go built with a whipple on top

Comment

Originally posted by svtlght99 View Post
            Dammit... and it still runs and drives good too...smh
            Don't get discouraged. The combustion gas escaping the chamber has dug a trough in the deck and the head. If it is not too bad you can deck the block and have the head resurfaced and it will work just fine. The down side is that both sides of the block and the heads need to be cut equally and that will require a complete disassembly of everything. Milling also jacks with the cam timing and will advance the timing on one side of the engine and retard it on the other so you will need a way to time the cams correctly. I don't remember if your year model engine has keys on the cams for the gear. If it doesn't then setting the cam timing doesn't take anything special to do it. I would replace all of the bearing with select fit ones while the engine is torn down and replace all of the timing chains, gears, tensioners etc at the same time. Squaring up the block and maximizing quench also gives a pretty good power improvement.
            Last edited by svauto-erotic855; 03-25-2018, 02:58 PM.
            Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

99% of the time milling the heads and using new gaskets will fix this. It's really rare to have the block needing to be decked. Depending on mileage, though, you may want to do factory rebuild at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
                99% of the time milling the heads and using new gaskets will fix this. It's really rare to have the block needing to be decked. Depending on mileage, though, you may want to do factory rebuild at this point.
                Decking the block is a personal preference. I like to square up the block to make the compression heights the same and I like to have the piston sticking out of the cylinder a few thousandths of an inch.

Comment

I know it's been awhile from when I posted this thread but I've saved up some funds to hopefully get the 99L fixed. I live in the Grand prairie area off ih20. Anyone know a respectable mechanic that i can take it to? I know it's a job but someone that is reasonable and would tell me what makes sense, as far as, the idea route to go. It's a 99L stock with about 160k miles. Head gasket and does have water in oil. Thanks

Comment

is the plan to keep it stock and just repair or are you looking to have fun with it?

Comment

Repair and keeping it stock.

Comment

Not going to give inpu what you should do, but I had a '01 'L and delete the clutch fan and replace with a thermostat driven electric fan assembly. One of the first mods I did to mine. This will help keep that thing cool as the clutch fan does nnot do a sufficient job of keeping that hEaton cool enough.
                        Originally posted by Silverback
                        Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Sounds like a total loss. I'll buy it for $750.

Comment

Not looking to sell just trying to get it back on the road.

Comment

I was told to take it to gearheads but they're booked for awhile.

Comment

Working...
                              X