Sell me on garage door replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sell me on garage door replacement

I'd like to replace my original wood 7 X 16 garage door. Original heavy as hell door getting old. Like to replace with newer door and hardware.

I don't want to spend too much as it's just a garage. Don't hang out in there nor do any real work on cars.

Door faces East in the morning and shaded in the afternoon by trees and the west setting sun.

Insulated / non-insulated, gauge. Don't need anything fancy.

Currently have a row of windows on top panel. Nice in the day to not need to turn a light on, but can do without.

Thoughts? Anyone here replace doors or know a good company to go with.

Really depends on the condition of your existing door.

I had ours replaced in our last house. We had a wooden door that was falling apart, literally, and the opener was trashed. It was heavy and rackety while it was opening. I dealt with that eye sore for years and when we decided to sell the house I had it replaced. I was kicking myself for not doing that many years earlier. The new door and opener was so much quieter and the curb appeal spiked way up.

I just called a Taylor Overhead door dealer. I think it was sub $800?

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
      Really depends on the condition of your existing door.

I had ours replaced in our last house. We had a wooden door that was falling apart, literally, and the opener was trashed. It was heavy and rackety while it was opening. I dealt with that eye sore for years and when we decided to sell the house I had it replaced. I was kicking myself for not doing that many years earlier. The new door and opener was so much quieter and the curb appeal spiked way up.

I just called a Taylor Overhead door dealer. I think it was sub $800?
      Did the sub $800 include door and opener ?

Comment

Isn't someone on here a garage door person, Dakota or something like that? Not sure if they are around, but I recall someone a while ago repairing garage doors for members.

Comment

I was quoted 1500 for a new metal 2 car garage door. I decided to let the new owners decide if they want to replace the door.

Comment

Get a belt driven door opener if you can.. much quieter!

My garage door looks crappy (has some dents and is 35 years old).. I’ll probably eventually replace it
            "PSH!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Stoner View Post
              Did the sub $800 include door and opener ?
              I don't think it did and I could be slightly off on that number. This was about 6 years ago so....

Just call one up, they'll give you a quote over the phone. If your opener works fine then don't replace it.

Comment

Not much help since I don't have price but mine is 18x8 and is a vinyl insulated door. No issues and seems to help on temp.
                2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Chris, we had new insulated doors put in when i had the attic work done (added 12" blow in) and between the two it made a HUGE difference in the garage at my house in Hurst. I can see if i can find out who did our doors, they did a great job and it wasn't terribly costly. but the seat-of-the-pants difference (remember my garage faces south/west) was enormous.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
                    Isn't someone on here a garage door person, Dakota or something like that? Not sure if they are around, but I recall someone a while ago repairing garage doors for members.
                    Don't count on it. I had a garage door emergency back in 2014 so I reached out to him and this was his reply:

After getting people like DOHCTR and his minions to try to troll me off this forum, Ive made it my policy not to help anyone with garage door work. Over 10 years Ive replaced or repaired over 40+ members doors at near cost because I was helping them out as a community. That stopped when DOHCTR started to flame me and he got his moderator buddies to delete my replies, which made me look bad.

My suggestion is for you to call a garage door service in the phone book. I am sure they will be able to fix your door.

Comment

Originally posted by hxbernal View Post
                      Don't count on it. I had a garage door emergency back in 2014 so I reached out to him and this was his reply:

After getting people like DOHCTR and his minions to try to troll me off this forum, Ive made it my policy not to help anyone with garage door work. Over 10 years Ive replaced or repaired over 40+ members doors at near cost because I was helping them out as a community. That stopped when DOHCTR started to flame me and he got his moderator buddies to delete my replies, which made me look bad.

My suggestion is for you to call a garage door service in the phone book. I am sure they will be able to fix your door.
                      DOHCTR was a douche.

Comment

Originally posted by hxbernal View Post

That's just fucked up. He helped me back when I lived in Plano, he came out did a garage door and opener and saved me hundo's over what Sears & Overhead doors wanted to charge me.
                        That fucking little prick, he better be lucky I didn't see him doing that shit!
                        Tell Dakota that hes gone now, he can come back, he was a cool dOOd in my book, DOHCTR, not so much...

Originally posted by BradM View Post
                        DOHCTR was a douche.
                        Oh yeah, he came across like an entitled bitch...
                        Originally posted by Silverback
                        Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                          That's just fucked up. He helped me back when I lived in Plano, he came out did a garage door and opener and saved me hundo's over what Sears & Overhead doors wanted to charge me.
                          That fucking little prick, he better be lucky I didn't see him doing that shit!
                          Tell Dakota that hes gone now, he can come back, he was a cool dOOd in my book, DOHCTR, not so much...

Oh yeah, he came across like an entitled bitch...
                          Some folks hated me for calling him out. I had my first hatemail from his boys. Fuck'em!

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
                            DOHCTR was a douche.
                            Seems like some of em are. I've had to restrain myself from telling a couple of them that they're about to be patients in the hospital they work at.
                            WH

Comment

He was the h&k nutswinger right?
                              "PSH!!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X