website blocking - chromebook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• website blocking - chromebook

I've got a online learning problem and so far the internet has come up with nothing to remedy it.

My kid is doing the remote learning thing on a chromebook. He gets easily distracted by the fact that he can be watching youtube instead of watching the teachers.

I thought it would be easy and went to my router and blocked youtube.com on that device. I found out the next day that for some iditotic reason Google classroom is run through youtube.com in some form or fashion. When the block is in place, no google sites will load.

Tried to add a chrome extension( blocksite) but when he is logged in for class, the profile is controlled by the school district and they don't allow extensions.

Are there any other ways you can think of to try and limit site access?

Thanks in advance.

Have you tried hitting them?

There is a link here that might work but it's going to be a pain in the ass. You'll have to direct link every video to get around the block.

Comment

Why not contact the school and have them block yt in their google admin suite?

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
        Why not contact the school and have them block yt in their google admin suite?
        I'm waiting on a callback from them. Honestly that may be beyond their skill level.

I have very little faith in their IT dept.

Comment

Is there an option to send him to class in person? Totally up to you, but that's what I did.
          Originally posted by stevo
          Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
            Is there an option to send him to class in person? Totally up to you, but that's what I did.
            They give the option to switch at the end of the 6 week grading periods. However the way the numbers are heading around here, they're talking about going full remote learning after christmas. We haven't sent him due to pre-existing health conditions. A lot of them are related to his respiratory system, so with the high school reporting 4-6 students and 1-2 staff per day it just doesn't feel like a safe gamble.

To put it in perspective: Most years if he catches the flu, it's heading straight to pneumonia and a hospital stay for a few days. We are honestly shocked that he's been able to remain healthy throughout this crap. If it wasn't for that, he'd be on the bus every day.

Comment

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
              I'm waiting on a callback from them. Honestly that may be beyond their skill level.

I have very little faith in their IT dept.
              Oof, that's a rough spot man.

Comment

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
                They give the option to switch at the end of the 6 week grading periods. However the way the numbers are heading around here, they're talking about going full remote learning after christmas. We haven't sent him due to pre-existing health conditions. A lot of them are related to his respiratory system, so with the high school reporting 4-6 students and 1-2 staff per day it just doesn't feel like a safe gamble.

To put it in perspective: Most years if he catches the flu, it's heading straight to pneumonia and a hospital stay for a few days. We are honestly shocked that he's been able to remain healthy throughout this crap. If it wasn't for that, he'd be on the bus every day.
                Gotcha, the underlying conditions can make the rona very bad... good call to keep the kid at home. I was lucky that my kids don't have issues like that so they are on the bus as well.
                Originally posted by stevo
                Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Sorry about your son’s situation. Can you log in using any other browser? Other browsers give more control. Chrome will probably never let you block google products entirely.

Comment

Comment

Look into the various methods of White listing, where everything's blocked except what is selected. Seems like something to bring up with the schoolboard, and see if an extension or extensions can be approved for just this purpose. Also, have you tried hitting him?

Do you want to blacklist or whitelist some of the YouTube channels your kids watch? Here is the perfect and best way to block YouTube channel.

Comment

Working...
                      X