Dehumidifier for Gun Safe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jose View Post
    What are you guys using? Just a canister or an electric dehumidifier of some kind? Never used one before but putting more thought into it now and want to maybe buy something to keep my investment safer.
    GoldenRod

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
      I use a few of these, have yet for them to change color, but when they do, pop em in the oven for a bit, and put them back in.

Wisesorb 5 Packs 40g Indicating Silica Gel Dehumidifier Desiccant Tin Canister, Wisetin Orange to Green Color Changing, SG-40 No Cobalt (II) Chloride-Reusable (Pack of 5)
      https://www.amazon.com/Wisesorb-Indi...548569&sr=8-10
      I just bought these. I can put one or two in each safe. I’d really love to get a bigger safe.

Comment

I ordered some similar to those that come in a quantity of six. I never gave it much thought until seeing this thread, glad that Jose started it.

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
          I ordered some similar to those that come in a quantity of six. I never gave it much thought until seeing this thread, glad that Jose started it.
          I’ve thought about and always tossed big dessicant bags that came in shipped items in the bottom of the safe, but the color indicator will give me something better to check.

The Navy has salt corrosion to worry about and they clean firearms often, and use CLP like it’s free. I always felt it was for protection from rust too. When ever I checked out arms before my shift the weapons tended to be wet and generously lubed. I never saw any rust on a Navy weapon but that could vary from one command to another. I know on the M16s we always disassembled the bolt and scrubbed them inside and out too. I also just recently bought an aero precision bolt that was pretty stiff. After disassembly and generous use of CLP I could easily cycle it by hand. Out of the box I could even rotate it to install it in
          the upper. So don’t forget to clean your bolt inside and out!

Comment

Working...
          X