Yamaha R6 Oil Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha R6 Oil Filter

I am about to change the oil on my bike and noticed that I have a stainless steal oil filter much like the one in the picture below.

Now my question is, is this a quality filter? I did some short lived reading on them and got mixed emotions on this type of filter ie quality, meant more for racing and doesn't filter out as much containment's etc.. Should I swap it out for a normal filter or keep it?

I also read somewhere that it is a $150 filters!

Any help is appreciated.

-Mike
    Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
    Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Normal filter from parts store/dealership will be more than fine. I use a regular stp as recomended.

Comment

I guess I am confused. With my experience, you replace the whole oil filter, with this stainless steal stuff it looks like you just replace the filter and not the casing?

Do you change oil filters on a bike like on a car, ie every oil change?
      Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
        I guess I am confused. With my experience, you replace the whole oil filter, with this stainless steal stuff it looks like you just replace the filter and not the casing?

Do you change oil filters on a bike like on a car, ie every oil change?
        Yes, that is correct.

It's really up to you. Some people are very anal about their bike's maintenance and will change filter every time(which is perfectly fine). My bike is oil cooled and I only change the filter every other oil change with a quaility filter. My bike is not picky and never misses a beat.

Throw on a mobil 1 filter or something of the like, and you'll be golden.

surely youre on a r6 forum by now? see what the recommended filters are by other owners.
        Last edited by dsrtuckteezy; 11-20-2010, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
          Yes, that is correct.

It's really up to you. Some people are very anal about their bike's maintenance and will change filter every time(which is perfectly fine). My bike is oil cooled and I only change the filter every other oil change with a quaility filter. My bike is not picky and never misses a beat.

Throw on a mobil 1 filter or something of the like, and you'll be golden.

surely youre on a r6 forum by now? see what the recommended filters are by other owners.
          Pah! I live and breathe dfwmustangs.. lol

Comment

it is not so much about contaminants as it is about the clutch particulates running through your motor. this is fact and opinion. everyone has a different take on maintenance as said above.

your motor and tranny share the same oil. so if you are a clutch abuser, change oil more often. i ran a paper/standard one cycle. then clean a steel one the following. rotating them saves money and time. just get metal parts/contact cleaner and wear that steel filter out. stay on top of it and you should be fine. i ran a scotts in my old bike and the new owner probably is getting near 80k rotating filters as i did.

Comment

So since there was no set oil per the manual, just dependant on temperatures, I went with 10w 40. Per the manual it has the widest range of temperatures covered.
              Last edited by 347Mike; 11-21-2010, 09:58 AM.

Comment

I don't know what oil was in there before but switching the oil filter and adding the Mobil 1 10w 40, made everything better. The slight idle problem I had went away. It idles at a solid 1,000 (not sure if thats right or not) rpm and doesn't chop like it used to. Switching gears also seems to be a lot smoother. For example, I rode up to the gas station and had to try 3-4 times to get into nuetural. lol

Comment

I run a Super Tech filter on mine. seriously.....
                  HD Parts
                  paul@maverickhd.com

Comment

mx4t and a k&n filter on all my bikes.

Comment

Yep. Changing the oil was cake. It was a little frusterating getting the stupid fairings to line up everywhere but other than that it was a breeze. I think it will go much quicker next time now that I know how to do it.

Still can't get my damn seat off though.. I have bent an alan key almost trying to get that fucker off.... I want to replace my air filter.

Comment

Working...
                      X