Renting a Bike to Ride PCH-1 Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renting a Bike to Ride PCH-1 Today

I'm out in SoCal for a while for work and am gonna rent a bike today to go ride PCH-1. I've always heard that it's one of those "must-ride" roads, so I'm excited to check it out.

I looked around online and found a few sportbike options (including a Ducati shop that rents 1098's and Hypermotards), but am considering taking out a DRZ-400. I'm shopping for a supermoto, so I'd look forward to taking one out for an extended test ride. It's also about 1/3 the price of any Duc or sportbike.

The only thing I'm worried about is that it's the dual-sport version of the DRZ, and not the SM, so it's got the factory dual-sport tires. I've never ridden any kind of dual-sport, and I'm just wondering how out-matched those tires are going to be up in the canyons. I don't have any riding gear out here and don't expect to get too crazy, but I'd hate to find out that the thing is completely incapable and have to pussy-foot it around all day.

I'm tempted to just go grab a Hypermotard, but I know I'd be inclined to ride it more aggressively, and with a $3k deposit and no gear, the last thing I want to do is lay down anything that I rent. I'm even considering something more cruiser-oriented just to keep things a little more tame and be more comfortable.

So does anyone have experience riding dual-sport tires on pavement? Am I going to hate it, or is it probably not as big of a deal as I'm making it out to be??

PCH is a wonderful ride/drive. Everyone should experience it at least once.

Comment

I don't even ride bikes, and I'd say rent a 1098. Don't fuck around.
      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

shiit, youre not going to drag knee on it so it would be more than capable. assuming it has some type of a/t tires and not knobbies.

Comment

have you ever riden a cruiser? It is a different type of ride for sure, more of a sit back and enjoy rather than a need for speed.

Ive had both, and would rather ride my cruiser all day that a sportbike for an hour.
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

once you get use to the riding position of the hypermotard rides very similar to a sport bike, you just have to know ow to load it in the corners. its also a lot easier in the corners to push then the ducati superbike, and more forgiving. the only downside to the hypermotard, just like the 1098's, they suck at normal freeway riding, you cant really tuck on the hypermotard so your constantly being pounded by the wind, with the 1098 you have to crouch down on it which makes it hard to navigate in traffic.

you might look at renting a ducati multistrada, I rode one at the ducati club demo a couple weeks ago, I was surprised. it's acceleration was much faster then I was expecting, but also carved cornered well, and was very comfortable. most dealers rent those as well

Comment

I ended up taking out the DRZ400 and had a blast. I had it rapped out all the way from San Beranardino all the way to the coast. Had a wreck happen 20ft in front of me right on I-10 at about 80mph, but managed to swerve around a fishtailing/spinning Saturn.

Got off on Sunset and took that down to Rodeo. Rode a couple of short 1st gear sitdowns on both roads, just cause I had to be able to say that I've done it. Then got back up to PCH1 and took that North to Topanga Canyon. Rode it once by myself and then met a couple of other guys on KTM690SMR's and we did a lap together. They totally walked away from me, but it was fun trying to chase them. Continued up to Malibu for lunch on the water and then caught the 210 back to the 215 to the dealership (Chapperrel's) before it got dark/cold. Put on 245 miles in 7hrs, and yes, my ass is sore today. Roughly 1/2 of those miles were spent wide open in 5th on the highway...good times.

My favorite thing was the legal lane splitting on the narrow and nimble DRZ. Traffic was backed-up for 2-3 miles in a couple of spots and I never dropped below 40mph. Pretty hairy a couple of times, but it was a lot of fun.

The tires were never an issue. I was rolling through 15-25mph curves closer to 30-35mph, but never felt like I was pushing the tires at all. And stoppies were a piece of cake, even with the dual-sport tire. Didn't really notice any difference to be honest.

I'm super exicted to get my CRF450X supermoto, and am officially shoppping. I'm hoping to find some sucker that is desperate for x-mas money and willing to give me a good deal.

I might try the Hypermotard next time, but had a blast on the DRZ.

Comment

Working...
              X