Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

to build or not to build? chevy 12 bolt truck rear.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to build or not to build? chevy 12 bolt truck rear.

So with the power upgrade on my 87 suburban I'm already planning ahead for the carnage that will likely happen with the factory truck 10 bolt with the 500 foot pounds of torque. Luckily I'm running a small tire for now but that may change in the future. I have acquired a 12 bolt 4x4 axle out of a 79' 1/2 ton that should bolt right in with minor changes but it needs bearings and a diff but I'm trying to determine if it will be worth the time and cost at this power level up to say a 35" tire later on at this power level. Not planning on going to Moab or nothing but want it to be a reliable truck.

Thoughts?

Trash it and go 14b. Cheap to find, cheap to build, and bullet proof.
    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
      Trash it and go 14b. Cheap to find, cheap to build, and bullet proof.
      Cheap...but then have to swap out wheels which then don't match the front and you have a snowball project swapping both axles and all wheels and going to 16" wheels instead of 15's.....hence the reason I'm considering the 12 bolt to keep things simple.

Comment

We manufacture quality drivetrain components for the offroad industry. Components include differential covers, Spyntec conversion kits, wheel hubs, spindles, kingpin knuckles, drive flanges and more! Our experienced staff can answer questions on your drivetrain needs.

I think Gravel Maker on Pirate makes some nice hubs also and Ruffstuff. Then slap a smaller disc brake kit on it and you should be good. You may drag the ole pumpkin offroading though but heck they even cut the bottom out of the 14b's now, trim up the ole ring and pinion, and then weld on a new bottom piece. You got a heavy rig and 35's with some decent HP. You may or may not scatter that 12 bolt depending on what you get into. Heck just slap a new 8 bolt 60 in the front to match rear and bite the bullet on some wheels! It is only money right?
        Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
          http://www.solidaxle.com/productcart...&idcategory=11

I think Gravel Maker on Pirate makes some nice hubs also and Ruffstuff. Then slap a smaller disc brake kit on it and you should be good. You may drag the ole pumpkin offroading though but heck they even cut the bottom out of the 14b's now, trim up the ole ring and pinion, and then weld on a new bottom piece. You got a heavy rig and 35's with some decent HP. You may or may not scatter that 12 bolt depending on what you get into. Heck just slap a new 8 bolt 60 in the front to match rear and bite the bullet on some wheels! It is only money right?
          Now that right there is a smart product . also offers an option for the 454SS Cline wanna be's.

Comment

Working...
          X