No announcement yet.

Laptop brands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought my ASUS from Best Buy back in February. I haven't had any issues except when the video driver crashed. Reboot, problem solved. I don't shut it down either, just close the lid to put it in hibernation and go. I use it for processing my photos and surfing. Not much else. I don't hardly game anymore, so the badassness of speed and video were not really a concern.

I did get it with the memory already maxed out at 4 GBs. Wish it would go higher, but I don't think I've stressed it to the point of using more than half of the physical RAM.

Because I don't game anymore, this ASUS will be replacing my desktop when I actually decide to turn it into a home server.
    كافر

Originally posted by sc281
    Always better to be an Uncle than a Father. All the fun stuff and none of the expensive stuff.
    Originally posted by Trick Pony
    ...from what I've seen on here bcoop knows his shit when it comes to smoking meat.

Comment

thinkpads

Comment

honestly, all of the brands have a pretty high failure rate. when looking at laptops it is really most important to look at warranty/service options in relation to what you are looking at spending. If you are spending less that $500, consider it disposable. Over that, research your service options. the last thing you want is to buy something from best buy that breaks at 1 year and 1 day and have to use a geek squad warranty or some shit. Dell really has some good service options, but I'm sure the others do to. Just keep that in mind when you shop.

Comment

I have a Dell XPS M1530 and its been pretty good. The internal speakers aren't worth a shit, but otherwise, its pretty nice for a laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by danielhv View Post
            I have a Dell XPS M1530 and its been pretty good. The internal speakers aren't worth a shit, but otherwise, its pretty nice for a laptop.
            From what I've read the new XPS systems that are supposed to have badass speakers in them, at least for a laptop. Not sure what they did but I believe they've made some changes to the XPS line to improve them.
            Originally posted by Jester
            Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
            He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
            Originally posted by Denny
            What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
            FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
              From what I've read the new XPS systems that are supposed to have badass speakers in them, at least for a laptop. Not sure what they did but I believe they've made some changes to the XPS line to improve them.
              They hired JBL and added a subwoofer to the 15 and 17" version. Other than the HPs with the "Beats" system the Dells are supposed to be top of the line.

Also Dell is starting their black Friday sale tomorrow, from my ad it looks like $50 cheaper than the best deals right now.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                I'd stay the hell away from the XPS laptops. It seemed like every last one I sold when I was at Best Buy was back in for service within 6 months. I think they're a little overpriced and gimmicky as well, but I've just got no faith in their reliability.

I'd go ASUS if I were you. They make some of the best hardware around and that's the most important thing in a laptop to me because hardware isn't easy or cheap to replace in a laptop.

They also don't load it up with a bunch of shit like most of the manufacturers do, which saves you some hassle.

I almost bought an ASUS when I bought my current HP (Business Series 6536b) but decided to save about $100 and went with the HP. Between the hardware issues I've had and the pain in the ass that is their customer support, I wish I had gone with the ASUS.
                Last edited by Slowhand; 11-18-2010, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Also, I'll be the first to rag on Best Buy and the inadequacy/ripoff that is Geek Squad, but I'll be damned if their warranties aren't worth it. I used to sell the warranties to customers on the grounds that if they ever got sick of their laptop they could just smash it on the ground and bring it in and get a new one. Pay an extra 20% and get a free laptop 2-3 years down the road? I'm in.

Comment

i have a Toshiba and love it. the machine is great. a few months back, the mobo died and i had to send it in. they gave me no problems and had it back sooner then i thought i would. granted, after getting it back, the cooling fan on the bottom wasn't working. i keep mine on a dual fan pedastle anyway so problem for me. it is a 2.1ghz dual core with 4gb ram and a 250gb hdd. displays in 720p. it has played all games i play, though im not a hardcore gamer on my computer. i spent $550 on it and it came with a bag, printer and Geek Squad set it up. my wife has a Emachines with the same specs, got it at wal-mart for $298 plus tax and she hasn't had a single problem with hers. and the Emachines is now made by Acer.

Comment

Another vote for ASUS. We have a badass ASUS up at work and I've been playing with it some. If I had the cash I'd pick it up for sure.

Comment

I have had a couple Toshibas that I have used for a couple years, then handed down. They all have been great and never had a problem. Upgrading the ram was a quick and easy help

I currently have a Dell 13" and its has been great. The battery is wearing down, but I use this thing all the time. It has an 8 cell battery and in the beginning, I could use it for 5 hours of continual use (word processing, power point, internet). Now its down to 1.5-2 hours. Its been great though for the last 2 years.

Bought a MSI thin laptop for the woman...its pretty good. The keyboard feels a little flimsy though in the center. For $400, its just a hair thicker than the macbook air. No cdrom, just a USB. It has an 8 cell as well and seems to last forever (8 hours?). I think its great for surfing the net and using Office apps. If thats all you need, I think its a decent laptop.

Comment

I appreaciate the input from everyone. I spent most of yesterday going from store to store checking out different brands and models and I'm pretty sure I'll be purchasing an ASUS. They seem to fit my needs best and I know the components are quality components.
                          Originally posted by Jester
                          Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
                          He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
                          Originally posted by Denny
                          What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
                          FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Just a secondary note.

I dropped my Asus the other day in the elevator at work. It was still in the bag, so maybe the bag really did it's job, but the laptop hasn't skipped a beat.

<--posting from the Asus
                            كافر

Originally posted by sc281
                            Always better to be an Uncle than a Father. All the fun stuff and none of the expensive stuff.
                            Originally posted by Trick Pony
                            ...from what I've seen on here bcoop knows his shit when it comes to smoking meat.

Comment

Working...
                            X