Anyone cook on a salt block before?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone cook on a salt block before?

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Himalayan-Salt-Block-8x8x2in/dp/B003C1FI92/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379980397&sr=8-1&keywords=salt+block[/ame]

Found it on amazon while browsing. Ordered just to try, going with steak and shrimp first. Any other things I should try.

May Explode under extreme heat......pass

Comment

Bcoop uses them cook hot dogs and fried bologna sandwiches.

Comment

Just get one from a feed store.

Comment

Originally posted by Stunter Bob View Post
          May Explode under extreme heat......pass
          Ya takes an hour to heat up or more lol.

After heats up stays hot for 30+ minutes.

Comment

I'd use it even though it may explode, but I think it's like rocks and such. Would probably have to be hotter than what I cook at...maybe.

Pre-heat in oven, move to grill and start. 41 bucks seems steep. Wonder how long the last and if you actually clean them or anything.
            Originally posted by MR EDD
            U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
              I'd use it even though it may explode, but I think it's like rocks and such. Would probably have to be hotter than what I cook at...maybe.

Pre-heat in oven, move to grill and start. 41 bucks seems steep. Wonder how long the last and if you actually clean them or anything.
              Based on all the reviews all you do is run it over water and use a clean sponge to scrub any dirt ( salt cleans everything else). Only have to replace after it cracks, then you can chisel some salt

I"ll post pics and review this weekend.

Comment

What does that do that a cast-iron skillet won't?
                ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                  I know I've seen mexicans cleaning cast iron skillets...etc with salt and not really rinsing it real well (leave seasoned).

Comment

It looks fancy and apparently can explode.

Comment

Woot has these all the time.

Comment

It salts the food, so you don't have to. Other than that, absolutely nothing.

Cast iron lasts longer, as salt blocks will break over time. I don't see the appeal, personally. Much like the discussion we had the other day about Himalayan salt... I think it's just the latest overhyped fad in an incredibly trendy industry. You have to heat it slow as shit. Salt is soft and brittle. Heating and cooling is only going to compound the issue. It's ill advised to use them on electric burners, and if you do, you must use a spacer of some sort. I'd be surpised if the typical home cook can get more than 10 uses out of it before it breaks. Beyond that, if you overheat, not only will it crack, it will also oversalt your food, making it taste like shit.

I'm of the opinion that the flavor from a well seasoned cast iron skillet > *
                        Originally posted by BradM
                        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                        Originally posted by Leah
                        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Crap, I totally misunderstood his question. ahah

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                            Crap, I totally misunderstood his question. ahah
                            No worries. I keep my steaks from sticking with coarse kosher salt, FYI.

Also: if anyone wants Himalayan salt cheap as fuck, it is available as deer blocks at tractor supply for $10. If you're going to eat dirty, unrefined mineral salt, at least don't overpay.
                            ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Arrived, looked cracked already and side had missing piece. Let it stand on low heat for 30 minutes. Put to medium low and heard it cracking all over the place. Left it untouched for 30 more minutes. Brought it up to medium and started spider webbing all over the place. Returned untested/used.

Comment

Working...
                              X