Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parents: What to do about a terrible teacher?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YALE View Post
    What happened to signing folks up for moving quotes?
    You moving?
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
      You moving?
      Not back to Texas.
      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Not back to Texas.
        Ill get you some quotes either way.
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
          Oh, and that Anthony guy is clearly a trolling asshole. Good grief!
          No shit, I like how he posted his opinion and then to all about him and his "portfolio".
          Originally posted by Silverback
          Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

You moving?
            Not back to Texas.
            Hahaha!
            Originally posted by Silverback
            Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

take it for what it's worth but Ruff, and those that concurred, is right.

I'd also like to add, if this is the only math teacher, is it safe to assume this is a small ISD? If so, it adds to Ruff's point in that it WILL follow her to her future teachers. I'm not suggesting to ignore it, but if everyone is already aware of her "issues" and she's still teaching, I'd focus your energy on a different resolution to get through the year.

FWIW, my daughter was in 6th grade last year and had a similar issue with a teacher. Same deal, it was the only teacher in the school so there wasn't any avoiding it. That year is gone and she's a thing of the past as far as interaction with my daughter goes. Good luck man.

Comment

Thread apropos: Ask Reddit: "Teachers, what's the worst thing you've done to a student?"

Comment

I think part of this issue with this thread is that you aren't giving any details to help us understand how bad the teacher really is. I mean, we've all had shitty teachers, but that was just part of growing up. If you expect anyone to understand or relate to your situation enough to offer solid advice or at least a constructive opinion, you're gonna have to help us see it a little closer to the way you see it by giving some specifics.
                  Perhaps, but for a few reasons, it just didn't seem worth it to dive into all of the specifics. I was counting on you guys taking my word for it that this lady sucks and then get on to the problem solving. Clearly I misjudged the situation, lol.

Regardless, I don't think the recording route is the way to go. Even if it exposes the teacher as being a super bitch, it's going to make you look like a crazy parent at the same time. It would probably make it harder for the school/district/whoever to then take your side, because they wouldn't want to encourage more parents to start sending their kids to school with recorders on them. Besides, it's just a shady way of dealing with a problem like this.
                  I appreciate your thoughts on this. My hope is that it'd just give me more context, and verify that aside from my own interactions with her, the classroom environment is as hostile as is being reported by my daughter and her friends. That said, I understand it's a slippery situation to introduce clandestine recording into the mix.

Either way, your daughter is going to be in her class for the year (since there isnt an alternative) and her contract is through the end of the school year. They wont oust a teacher for much less than criminal activity, especially if the situation is that there is only one in a core subject. Same if she's on a vetted contract, she would have to quit or be fired for misconduct (usually takes criminal activity).
                  Solid points. This is backed up by the fact that everyone I've talked to whether it's parents, faculty or staff there agrees that she's over-the-top mean, yet she's still employed.

Hah!

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                  take it for what it's worth but Ruff, and those that concurred, is right.

I'd also like to add, if this is the only math teacher, is it safe to assume this is a small ISD? If so, it adds to Ruff's point in that it WILL follow her to her future teachers. I'm not suggesting to ignore it, but if everyone is already aware of her "issues" and she's still teaching, I'd focus your energy on a different resolution to get through the year.

FWIW, my daughter was in 6th grade last year and had a similar issue with a teacher. Same deal, it was the only teacher in the school so there wasn't any avoiding it. That year is gone and she's a thing of the past as far as interaction with my daughter goes. Good luck man.
                  I appreciate this position, but I do feel like this situation is at a whole other level. She's had jerk teachers before, and we dealt with it. Heck, with one of them we even found some level of understanding and respect. Based on interaction with this one so far, that doesn't look very likely. That said, the more I think about it, the more it does seem like if they were willing to change, it would have happened by now since her attitude problem is common knowledge.

It's a tough thing because if nobody raises their hand, administration is given no motivation to make a change, but if you raise your hand too high, you might lose a finger or two.

I have an appointment to talk with the teacher's boss (again). I'll be just as nice as I was last time, and maybe something good can come from it.

Comment

wow! that's crazy

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
                      Good idea. I'll look into that.

Ironic that your own confirmation bias led you to this. I have demonstrated that I'm open to any strategies/tactics that will make a difference here. The only thing I've argued about is people suggesting that we just take it from this bad teacher without pushing back.

Well, we agree on something.

No, I have purposely left out those kinds of details. The discussion isn't if this teacher sucks, but what to do about it.

Actually you have been arguing against most of the advice, especially those of us saying it might be the kid might be lying or not telling the whole story, or the ones saying you shouldn't record it. Also have yet to post specific examples of what the supposed problem is. But go ahead and keep blaming me for your failure to explain the situation or consider advice. I see where your daughter gets her irrational behavior of blaming the mean teacher for disciplining the class.
                      I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Blake, I don't know if you had Mrs Thrower at AHS but if you survived that bitch, your daughter will make it through this year and her teacher's shitty attitude too. Just keep reminding her that there is a lesson to be learned here, on how NOT to treat people.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                        Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
                          Actually you have been arguing against most of the advice, especially those of us saying it might be the kid might be lying or not telling the whole story, or the ones saying you shouldn't record it.
                          You’re right about that. I’ve talked with this teacher more than once and I know my kid isn’t lying.

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
                          Also have yet to post specific examples of what the supposed problem is. But go ahead and keep blaming me for your failure to explain the situation or consider advice.
                          Also true, because I don’t care to detail every misstep of this teacher so that you can be satisfied that she is indeed bad at her job. I’m confident in my assessment there, thanks. I’ve already demonstrated in this thread the ability to consider advice. It’s the acerbic pricks (like you) I’m not listening to.

Originally posted by LANTIRN
                          I see where your daughter gets her irrational behavior of blaming the mean teacher for disciplining the class.
                          Wow, that’s just mean. Are you a math teacher?

Originally posted by KBScobravert View Post
                          Blake, I don't know if you had Mrs Thrower at AHS but if you survived that bitch, your daughter will make it through this year and her teacher's shitty attitude too. Just keep reminding her that there is a lesson to be learned here, on how NOT to treat people
                          Hah, I dodged that bullet. Glad you made it out!

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                            No shit, I like how he posted his opinion and then to all about him and his "portfolio".
                            I didn't make it about me, you dumbasses did. Congrats.

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post

I appreciate this position, but I do feel like this situation is at a whole other level. She's had jerk teachers before, and we dealt with it. Heck, with one of them we even found some level of understanding and respect. Based on interaction with this one so far, that doesn't look very likely. That said, the more I think about it, the more it does seem like if they were willing to change, it would have happened by now since her attitude problem is common knowledge.

It's a tough thing because if nobody raises their hand, administration is given no motivation to make a change, but if you raise your hand too high, you might lose a finger or two.

I have an appointment to talk with the teacher's boss (again). I'll be just as nice as I was last time, and maybe something good can come from it.
                              I'm definitely not dismissing your situation. It can be frustrating when you expect to be able to send your kid to school to learn and they have to deal with a teachers' own issues in the process. What makes it worse is your daughter still has a long ways to go till this year is over. Having work for a school, it's probably safe to say that it would take a serious issue for the ISD to fire the teacher mid-year and deal with filling a vacancy.

I do kind of like the idea of going scorched earth on this teacher...I think Al suggested it. When they fail to reason when you've been nothing but kind and patient....that's when the gloves come off.

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
                                i keep checking back waiting for you to reveal that Lea is the teacher in question....

god bless.
                                I chuckled....

Comment

Working...
                                X