Replacing a fiberglass shower surround

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing a fiberglass shower surround

We are about to finish our master bathroom remodel. The biggest task is the shower. We are planning to replace the old biscuit colored one piece shower unit from the late 80's with a stand up shower. I've watched a few videos and removal seems pretty straight forward. My only concern is that in one of the videos there was a vent pipe coming up outside of the wall, which isn't an issue if I was installing another similar unit. I'm wondering if anyone has run into this scenario? All of the sink vents in this house were run up the wall, turned out below the top plate, up through the ceiling, and a furr down built around them. So, I'm overly concerned I'm going to run into a vent outside of the stud cavity. Any first hand experience here on the board?

TLR

Slab on grade foundation
    Replacing one piece fiberglass shower with a walk in shower with american acrylic drop in base
    Concerned I'm going to find a vent pipe outside of the wall inside of the "tub cavity"
    Looking for anyone who has done a similar remodel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

yeah I did it. had a vent pipe rounding a corner outside the studs. I just notched the studs, got a couple elbows and put the pipe in the studs and was able to hardboard over it

Comment

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
      yeah I did it. had a vent pipe rounding a corner outside the studs. I just notched the studs, got a couple elbows and put the pipe in the studs and was able to hardboard over it
      Thanks. How old was the house? Mine was built in 86. Turning a corner like that is no sweat! I'm more concerned with having to have a plumber jackhammer the slab snd move a vent pipe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

built in 85. my vent pipe was crossing in the void at about 4' up though. PM me your # and I'll text you a pic.

mine was on the 2nd floor though, and was coming through the wall between studs and didn't fall in the "open" area otherwise

Comment

How about plumbing. I'll be replacing the valves with a single handle unit, as well as moving the shower head up a few inches. Has anyone used sharkbite/compression copper to pex fittings? I would like to do this without sweating copper if I can. I've ready mixed reviews on shark bite, though most of the negative come from master plumbers.

Comment

Working...
          X