Eating at home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
    We have been guilty of eating out too often at times. Though we have been doing better. We need to expand our spice cabinet so that everything isn't one note and starts to bore us. My problem is lunch. I work 45 min from home so I can't go home and eat left overs any more. I need to pick up a small cooler and start bringing my lunch.

For those of you who cook ahead and freeze, how are you prepping for the freezer? I need to pick up a quality vacuum sealer so I can buy in larger quantity when meat is on sale.
    I vacuum seal raw meat, but if its already cooked I usually just use that cheap Tupperware they sell at walmart. I usually dont leave that food for more than a couple months and its nice for those days you dont have time to cook, just reach in the freezer and have a ready to go meal to take to work. I also make sure my freezer is cranked up so I get a legit fast deep freeze going on.

Comment

i love this cookbook

A Man, a Can, a Plan : 50 Great Guy Meals Even You Can Make Board book – June 17, 2002

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Man-Can-Plan-Great-Meals/dp/1579546072/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1412700671&sr=1-6&keywords=Man%27s+Cookbook[/ame]

Comment

Don't discount cast iron cookware. I use nothing but it and a lot of foods SEEM to taste better. Especially for meats - just keep all the grease in it and cook with it the next time...etc.
        Originally posted by MR EDD
        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Recommend a decent crock pot?
          Detailing is an Obsession!!

1996 MYSTIC Cobra #405 of 2000

Fox Coupe "Calypso Killer"

Comment

Originally posted by Wish4svts View Post
            Recommend a decent crock pot?
            Crock-Pot is a brand, like Kleenex. I've got a Crock Pot, and I have 2 that are made by Rival. I've never had any issues with any of them.
            Originally posted by BradM
            But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
            Originally posted by Leah
            In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
              Crock pot recipes are easy as shit.
              got any good chicken recommendations?

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                I vac seal proteins before they go in the freezer to prevent freezer burn, and give a longer shelf life.

Really the only stuff I will prep ahead and freeze, is casserole type dishes, or enchiladas. I bought Pyrex dishes with lids. Sometimes I'll make a marinade for fish or chicken, and pour it in the bag prior to vac sealing.

Go buy yourself a FoodSaver. Those ziploc vac sealing bags suck dicks. If you have a Tuesday Morning in your area, you can usually pick up a foodsaver pretty cheaply.
                I was planning on a good food saver.
                Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                  I make a big bowl of tuna salad pretty frequently and get about ten sandwiches out of it for around $8, not including bread. It's tasty as hell, too.
                  Great idea, I used to do that a lot when I was a bachelor. Problem now is that I am trying to cut out bread. My fiance wanted to give the paleo diet a go. I did it for a couple of weeks a few years ago, before I conceded that it was just too difficult with her not participating.

Comment

Suggestion on a foodsaver model? Just looked and there are several different models...

Comment

Gas or electric stove?
                      sigpic

Comment

I'd recommend going second hand shopping when looking for a crock pot. I've had 2 or 3 new ones and they don't work worth a damn. My old stand by is from the 70's (and it's even avocado in color) and it really holds a steady temperature.

Comment

Originally posted by War Machine View Post
                          got any good chicken recommendations?
                          I like chicken curry. My basic recipe is:

1.5-2 lbs chicken (frozen breasts or boneless thighs, or a mixture)
                          1 standard can of crushed tomatoes.
                          1 cup of chicken stock
                          2 cups of coconut milk
                          1 standard can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
                          2 tbsp of curry powder
                          1 bell pepper
                          2 lbs of diced sweet potato
                          2 cups of frozen peas
                          1 average sized onion chopped

Mix the liquids and curry powder together in the pot, add in the chicken, add in the remaining ingredients other than the peas. Wait until 15 minutes before serving and add the frozen peas.

Serve it over jasmine or basmati rice. I use whatever peppers I have available which right now is hatch. Anaheim, chipotle or any other can work depending on your pain tolerance/preference. You can also use something other than coconut milk as long as it's fairly thick and dairy based. Sometimes I'll add okra or cauliflower to the mix and I'll add some garlic, bay leaves, liquid smoke or whatever else I feel like.

You can leave it on low for 8-10 hours, much more than that and the sweet potatoes start to dissolve. If you are going for shorter cooking times regular potatoes would also work.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
                            Ground meat. You can use it to make tacos, sloppy Joe, spaghetti, meatloaf, chili, etc. All simple, and all good leftover. Ground bison is a lot leaner, but more expensive.
                            Anybody know of a good easy spaghetti sauce recipe? I hate all that can and jar crap from the store. Unless there is like a little known good one somewhere

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
                            Gas or electric stove?
                            Stove is electric
                            WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                              Anybody know of a good easy spaghetti sauce recipe? I hate all that can and jar crap from the store. Unless there is like a little known good one somewhere

Stove is electric
                              ground bison, italian or chicken sausage. blanched tomatoes, fresh garlic, onion, basil, oregano. fuck around man

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                                My MIL starts with Lawry's packets and then adds a bunch of her own stuff. It's Holy fucking shit good! Honestly, I think she just starts throwing things in, or at least that's how she got it fine tuned over the years. Experiment for yourself until you nail it. That's the fun of cooking!

Comment

Working...
                                X