Bathroom door issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathroom door issue

The master bathroom doors seem to have a slight issue, it is the double doors that have a little ball bearing like thing on top, and sort of click into a plate on the top of the doorway frame. The handles do not turn, it just pushes and pulls closed/open.
    There is one door, that even tho it seems aligned properly with the other (not drooping when they meet), it will not hit that plate and stay closed.
    I tired loosening all the hinges, pulled up on the handle and tightened the top hinge first, then middle, then bottom, but not enough difference. It barley touches that plate, but not enough to keep the door from swinging open a little.

Other than removing the plate, and using a couple washers to lower it, any suggestions on how to fix it? I'll try to post a pic in a bit.

Rather than post a pic, I googled one, and think I found the solution. It is called a ball catch

Last edited by yellowstang; 02-14-2018, 09:47 AM.

The retainer for the ball is threaded and adjustable. Mine actually always thread out a little and the door doesn't shut and I have to tighten it back down.
    2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
      The retainer for the ball is threaded and adjustable. Mine actually always thread out a little and the door doesn't shut and I have to tighten it back down.
      Thx, just found that out, need a ladder now and check if these adjust. Cheap ass builder probably used non adjustable to save 10 cents.

Edit: Well, they have the notches to adjust them, but I have to find a tool to do that with. Home Depot probably has one I'd imagine.
      Last edited by yellowstang; 02-14-2018, 09:57 AM.

Comment

I just used a large flat head screwdriver.
        2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
          I just used a large flat head screwdriver.
          I don't have one that big, but was able to start out a couple with a plastic tube I have and pressing the ball down and it grabbed enough to turn them out. The 2 others I was able to adjust with my fingers. Over all, much better!

I may try cutting a notch out of the plastic tube thing, see if it works better.

Comment

FYI, after adjusting and lubing the ball catch's on all my closet doors, I decided just to replace them. Holy fuck, what a difference that made! The doors feel like brand new again. Cheap update to do, $10 a pair and the strike plate is new too. Before the ball didn't really spin, it was sort of a grinding against the strike plate, now it's smooth as silk!
            The black plastic sleeves comes off, if yours are like mine are and did not have that on it.
            The ones I replaced were 11 years old, this month actually.

Comment

Be mindful of how far you thread them out of the cup to make contact with the plate. I have seen the nut that holds the ball into the cup snap on a few occasions. I'm not sure if we got a bad batch of ball catches or what it was, but I had a rash of them a few months back. With the slot cut into that nut to allow people to adjust it, it weakened the nut and they would split in two.

You should be able to push down on the ball and turn the nut with the pressure of your finger, we typically have to go through and adjust all of the ones our trim carpenter installs before the home closes to make sure they make good contact and the door doesn't move/vibrate too much when closed.
              Originally posted by Leah
              Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

The new ones definitely can be adjusted as you stated above. The old ones, not gonna happen. 11 years old, they served a good life. In dog years they are 77!

Comment

Working...
                X