Fixing Single stage rock chip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing Single stage rock chip

I just bought an 88LX in medium cabernet. It has some rock chips that I would like to fix and smooth. I don't have any personal experience trying to fix them correctly but would like to make them look as good as possible. This car has all original paint and do not want that to change.

I know the old detailer on here name Nick used to do this w/ great success.

Are there any tips or good links with thorough directions/videos out there? I have been looking online and it mostly deals with 2 stage paint jobs.

I would love if the paint/body guys could provide some advice.

Thanks!

Call it a day.
    sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
    🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

How big are the chips?

Comment

Originally posted by soap View Post
        Call it a day.
        I know that I can get perfect matched color... but it leaves a built up paint blob that usually looks like shit.

I want to be able to level them out and make them virtually un-noticeable to someone who isn't looking for them. Some of the brief research I have done shows hitting it w/ some 2000grit and buff/polish but I'm looking for detailed steps.

Nick used to make them disappear amazingly and I'm just looking to do something better than blobbing paint on the chips.

Originally posted by Denny View Post
        How big are the chips?
        Pretty small... I will get some pictures up once I get the car washed up nicely

Comment

Also realize you should have somebody color match your touch up paint to the actual car, not the color code... especially on an old red like that
          http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Basically what you do is you build up layer after layer of paint in the rock chip until it is above the level of the existing paint around it. Then you sand it smooth with the paint around it so it is a smooth even surface. Then you buff and polish.
            www.facebook.com/hilldetailworks

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
              Also realize you should have somebody color match your touch up paint to the actual car, not the color code... especially on an old red like that
              Great point

Hopefully I can find a good step by step with quality product recommendation. I am a tactile learner so reading doesnt do much for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Counterfiend View Post
                Basically what you do is you build up layer after layer of paint in the rock chip until it is above the level of the existing paint around it. Then you sand it smooth with the paint around it so it is a smooth even surface. Then you buff and polish.
                What this guy said. It is very difficult to get a good color match on older cars, but if you build up the paint, about 2 or 3 drops, letting it sit between each, then take a very small square sponge(about 1"x1") put a 1"x1" peice of 2000grit sandpaper underneath it, wet it, and sand it slowly till it is a smooth leveled surface. Should sand about a 2"-4" circle. Dry it with a towel, buff and polish. Very very simple to do it. I use to do it in high school for teachers and friends.
                2014 Ford F250 4X4 *DD*
                1992 Ford Mustang GT

Previous Vehicles:
                1989 Ford Mustang 4 cyl. Turbo coupe
                1986 Ford Mustang GT T-Top
                2011 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost
                2011 Ford Mustang V6
                2011 Ford Mustang GT
                2013 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost
                2012 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost 4x4

Comment

Working...