No announcement yet.

My new gig...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maryville would be high in my list for east TN.

Land North of Knoxville isn't very expensive either. I'm a land guy so the house thing to me is about not having neighbors. You'll love east TN if you currently live in metro Dallas. Sure, there are thumpers and the exact opposite of that being tweakers. But, it's got demographics that are really nice considering the dense parts of tx.

Comment

Originally posted by dblack1 View Post
      Maryville would be high in my list for east TN.

Land North of Knoxville isn't very expensive either. I'm a land guy so the house thing to me is about not having neighbors. You'll love east TN if you currently live in metro Dallas. Sure, there are thumpers and the exact opposite of that being tweakers. But, it's got demographics that are really nice considering the dense parts of tx.
      Yep I am highly focused on Maryville for all kinds of reasons. Mostly the central location to where my other accounts are, as far as logistics go...

Then I am looking at the acre lots with good square footage homes on it, especially near water and mountains... looks good on the web, anyway, LOL..

Comment

Congratulations on the new gig. It sounds great and I love Eastern Tennessee.

I am in a bit of the same situation as far as jobs. We had a guy who used to run our Europe operation that has moved on and has been begging me to come work for him. He has told me that if something happens and I walk in one day and find myself unemployed at my current place I shouldn't even go home, I should come to his shop and find a desk and not miss a beat.
        Originally posted by racrguy
        What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
        Originally posted by racrguy
        Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
          Congratulations on the new gig. It sounds great and I love Eastern Tennessee.

I am in a bit of the same situation as far as jobs. We had a guy who used to run our Europe operation that has moved on and has been begging me to come work for him. He has told me that if something happens and I walk in one day and find myself unemployed at my current place I shouldn't even go home, I should come to his shop and find a desk and not miss a beat.
          Yeah man like I said I was minding my own business, and was not looking for a job.. my current boss treats me like gold, my coworkers are awesome and we are like family. I have a particular set of skills in an industry where companies have a tendency to classify you as a "technician' or an 'engineer'... and the salary is reflected as such between the two distinctions.

I have lined myself up as having the right mix to do Field Engineering work with automation and controls as well as Technical Sales and just all around point man in the field but to make money at it I was always having to work on the road full time busting my ass 12 hours a day and I couldn't take it any more.

This gig is the perfect match and I don't mind at all relocating, with the money they threw at me and the fact that the culture is more of the same of what I am experiencing now, just on a larger scale... and when I gave notice the other day my boss was actually happy for me.

He understood quite well the need for me to have all the things that as a small business owner he just couldn't quite provide and though he will be sad to see me go it's all good and I will finish out my last 2 weeks like a champ for him, so it's all good.

Comment

Originally posted by 93LXHORSE View Post
            He understood quite well the need for me to have all the things that as a small business owner he just couldn't quite provide and though he will be sad to see me go it's all good and I will finish out my last 2 weeks like a champ for him, so it's all good.
            That last sentence answered the question I was going to pose. I had already made the physical move for other reasons, but similarly to you, at the beginning of this year I was faced with the proposition to leave a rock solid "family" and career of 17+ years, to start anew with a better offer (on paper at least). Seems like an easy enough decision, but letting go of that safety net (top performer in the segment, I wasn't going anywhere if I didn't choose to) was uncomfortable as all get out. The first few weeks were very much an "oh shit, what have I done" shortly followed by "America, Fuck yeah!" the next moment.

Two months later and I realize that was just the tenure talking, these millenials jump jobs like picking a bag of chips out of the value-pack, I just hadn't had the experience before. Career path has been a big underlying theme in just about every team call we've had, at the local and national level, so Tanya and I have already had feeler discussions about where we'd be willing to move, should the right path open up.

Tennessee's a beautiful state, it'd make the list of places we'd go "for a better life," so congrats man, and good luck.

Comment

Yeah man I know what ya mean. I can be in the same position where I'm at and have all kinds of leeway and kudos and family and love and get 7% raise every year forever,

Or... I could take the 55% raise plus relo package right now, and have a bad ass gig and not have to go to the office.

Plus, since I fucked off for many years, I need to make up for lost time!

Comment

Working...
              X