Chl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chl

I sold a car of mine and now have some extra cash and I was thinking about getting my CHL. Only problem is I dont know where to begin. I do not know of any good CHL classes. I would preffer the Utah license so I am sure there are even fewer teachers around. Does anyone recommend any classes that they have gone through that are in the DFW area?

(edit: I am sure someone has a post about this already but I did not have time to look throught he topics in the thread <----- at work)
    Originally posted by Sean88gt
    You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
    Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
    You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

I think there is legislation on the books or in the works to do away with the Utah loop-hole.

Might want to look into that before you end up with a CHL that you can't use.
    G'Day Mate

Comment

Crossfire at cableas.
      Half of history is hiding the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimpala View Post
        I think there is legislation on the books or in the works to do away with the Utah loop-hole.

Might want to look into that before you end up with a CHL that you can't use.
        Do you know of any specifics to the legislation so I can research?
        You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
        You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

That might have some info on closing the loophole.

Texas CHL is really not that big of a deal outside of eating up a whole day. It's 11 hours of class, which sucks, and range time. About $140 for the license, somewhere around $100 usually for the class.

I went through David Gilreath. His website is here: http://www.chltx.com/
          He does the class at his home and has everyone get over to Winchester on 820 in two groups for the range session.

Here's the Texas DPS CHL website: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis.../chlsindex.htm

Familiarize yourself thoroughly with this: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/Interne...rms/CHL-16.pdf
          Men have become the tools of their tools.
          -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I'll recommend On Target if you're in SW Ft. Worth and you go for a TX CHL.
            Price includes ammo, and gun rental if you want. They'll do all the notorizing and take the pics. You'll leave with a packet that is ready to mail.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtracer View Post
              I sold a car of mine and now have some extra cash and I was thinking about getting my CHL. Only problem is I dont know where to begin. I do not know of any good CHL classes. I would preffer the Utah license so I am sure there are even fewer teachers around. Does anyone recommend any classes that they have gone through that are in the DFW area?

(edit: I am sure someone has a post about this already but I did not have time to look throught he topics in the thread <----- at work)
              I have a Utah non-resident CHL. It will continue be valid to use in Texas until it expires in a little over 4 years from now. At that time, I will have to get the Texas CHL before being eligible to renew or simply get a Florida CHL. The reason being Utah recently enacted legislation that will block non-resident Utah CHL's from being renewed after January 2012 without first having a valid Texas CHL prior to renewal. However, reciprocity still remains intact for both states. Now all the Texas bound Utah BCI instructors have stopped conducting these classes as a result. Now most have switched over to teaching the Florida non-resident CHL, which is very similar to the Utah non-resident CHL in terms of criteria and course syllabus. And Florida has nothing on the books to stop renewals or amend reciprocity agreements with Texas, so for the time being everything looks good for Florida CHLs for the long haul.

I took got my CHL at family gun fun in Denton. Brad is an excellent teacher and covers everything in the course requirements and much more. Will take the time to answer all of your questions before you leave class. And he also does the finger printing in class. You will learn a lot despite of the negative criticisms you hear about the shorter class time.
              Last edited by LS1Goat; 05-17-2011, 03:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustangman_2000 View Post
                I have a Utah non-resident CHL. It will continue be valid to use in Texas until it expires in a little over 4 years from now. At that time, I will have to get the Texas CHL before being eligible to renew or simply get a Florida CHL. The reason being Utah recently enacted legislation that will block non-resident Utah CHL's from being renewed after January 2012 without first having a valid Texas CHL prior to renewal. However, reciprocity still remains intact for both states. Now all the Texas bound Utah BCI instructors have stopped conducting these classes as a result. Now most have switched over to teaching the Florida non-resident CHL, which is very similar to the Utah non-resident CHL in terms of criteria and course syllabus. And Florida has nothing on the books to stop renewals or amend reciprocity agreements with Texas, so for the time being everything looks good for Florida CHLs for the long haul.

I took got my CHL at family gun fun in Denton. Brad is an excellent teacher and covers everything in the course requirements and much more. Will take the time to answer all of your questions before you leave class. And he also does the finger printing in class. You will learn a lot despite of the negative criticisms you hear about the shorter class time.

So from what I am reading it takes about $240 out the door for a TX CHL....how much for the Flordia?

Comment

Originally posted by gtracer View Post
                  so from what i am reading it takes about $240 out the door for a tx chl....how much for the flordia?
                  $217

Comment

A friend of mine does CHL classes for $50-60 in rockwall. Very professional, and hes a great teacher. I think their website is like www.mytxchl.com . The Texas papers are $140 that you send to the state. So out the door you can prob do less then $200 and have a nice legit Texas CHL.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustangman_2000 View Post
                      $217
                      for 23 dollars ill get the TX

Comment

Fuck having to pay any money for what should be a right for everyone. But, I'd rather give pocket change to Utah for a 4 hour class that teaches me everything I already know than give a month's worth of groceries to Texas for teaching me even longer about bullshit I already know and requiring me to prove to them that I actually know how to operate a gun.

This paragraph from the above posted article hit the nail on the head:

"Brasuell said Texas is not losing revenue from people getting out-of-state licenses because those people wouldn't carry a license at all if their only choice were to go through the Texas classes."

Had I known about some Utah loophole in the past, I would have gotten mine years ago.
                        How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

I wouldn't recommend the Utah path, current political climate leads many to believe it's going to be under scrutiny more.
                          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by Venix View Post
                            A friend of mine does CHL classes for $50-60 in rockwall. Very professional, and hes a great teacher. I think their website is like www.mytxchl.com . The Texas papers are $140 that you send to the state. So out the door you can prob do less then $200 and have a nice legit Texas CHL.
                            I went here back in Feb and had a good experience. I would recommend these folks to anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Venix View Post
                              And is opening a range within 5 mins from me! Buddy told me about it and the $250 platnium membership. Trying to sell that one to the old lady!

Comment

Working...
                              X