No announcement yet.

Mosin Nagant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have 3 91/30's (2 round recievers, 1 1927 Hex) and an M44, and by far the best shooting one is the hex receiver 27 Tula. It also happens to be the nicest one too.
    68 Coupe- 351w, TFS heads, Comp XE284, 5 speed, Explorer 8.8, 4 Wheel Discs
    63 Fairlane

Originally posted by forbes
    i call 1911 first then 911

Comment

Originally posted by Mach1Run View Post
      I had good luck wrapping the stock of the one I refinished on a bag that was open on both ends, then running the drier vent hose out into garage and poking it in one end of the bag. Ran the dryer a couple time one max heat until it stopped sweating cosmo.
      Yea getting the stuff off the wood is gonna be a pain. I let them sit outside right now on the shade. But I don't know if it'll hurt it? And how do you know when it doesn't have anymore left to sweat? Pretty easy gun to tear apart and clean. Trying to figure out how to adjust the firing pin in just a little bit.

Comment

If you wanna do it outside then wrap it in a black trash bag and put it in the sun. Let it sit and get hot then go wipe the sweat of. Rinse and repeat till it stops sweating. I lucked out and mine hadn't just just been soaked in cosmo so it only to a day or two to get it all out.
        Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Mach1Run View Post
          If you wanna do it outside then wrap it in a black trash bag and put it in the sun. Let it sit and get hot then go wipe the sweat of. Rinse and repeat till it stops sweating. I lucked out and mine hadn't just just been soaked in cosmo so it only to a day or two to get it all out.
          Might try this tomorrow. Sounds like a good idea. I was using a blow dryer but it was taking forever yesterday because i didn't want to get it too hot. And how bad is corrosive ammo for it? I bought some cheap ammo and its corrosive. About how long do you have before you "have" to clean it? I know everyone says right after you shoot but i'm talking about if i go shoot then go eat or by a friends house or just something after is it ok to sit for a few hours?

Comment

Shot it tonight and man it shoots great!

Comment

I use the engine degrease at the car wash followed by time in the sun gets it out of the nooks and cranny's in the metal

As for corrosive ammo take some Windex with ammonia (or anything with a bit of ammonia in it) and spray the gun inside and out after you shoot the ammonia neutralizes the corrosive properties of the ammo and will give you as much time as needed to clean it

Comment

Originally posted by bulldog896 View Post
                As for corrosive ammo take some Windex with ammonia (or anything with a bit of ammonia in it) and spray the gun inside and out after you shoot the ammonia neutralizes the corrosive properties of the ammo and will give you as much time as needed to clean it
                Common misconception.

Slow moving projects
                1964 C10 350/700r4
                1992 LX 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by bulldog896 View Post
                  I use the engine degrease at the car wash followed by time in the sun gets it out of the nooks and cranny's in the metal

Originally posted by Superwho View Post
                  I can't read the link here at work. But I've been hearing from everyone that Windex stops the salt from harming the gun. Which is why people carry it around while shooting corrosive ammo. Not saying it's true or not just what quite a bit of people have been telling me.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXRK5 View Post
                    I can't read the link here at work. But I've been hearing from everyone that Windex stops the salt from harming the gun. Which is why people carry it around while shooting corrosive ammo. Not saying it's true or not just what quite a bit of people have been telling me.
                    Not saying windex isn't a good thing to use to hold over for a good cleaning, just that the ammonia does little to neutralize the corrosive salts. The water in windex dissolves them enough to do minimal damage until you can clean it asap. The ammonia helps it dry out faster and remove copper and such. A lot of old timers take boiling hot water in a thermos and pour it down the barrel for the same purpose, and it dissolves the corrosive salts much better.
                    Slow moving projects
                    1964 C10 350/700r4
                    1992 LX 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by Superwho View Post
                      Not saying windex isn't a good thing to use to hold over for a good cleaning, just that the ammonia does little to neutralize the corrosive salts. The water in windex dissolves them enough to do minimal damage until you can clean it asap. The ammonia helps it dry out faster and remove copper and such. A lot of old timers take boiling hot water in a thermos and pour it down the barrel for the same purpose, and it dissolves the corrosive salts much better.
                      Sorry i didn't mean to say your post was wrong just what i've been hearing. I only said it because i don't know. Now that i think about it i remember seeing a video on youtube saying to use boiling water and pour it down the barrel. I always clean my gun when I get home just wanted to know how long i could "wait". And if windex would give me a little more time till i actually got home then i'd just carry a little bit with me.

Comment

Nah, you wont hurt it shooting it and waiting a few hours till you get home to clean it, or even a weekend for that matter. Like any metal that can rust, just clean it and keep it oiled.

Comment

I also picked up one of these from the Cabelas in Allen this weekend for 99

I ended up with a 1942 model that looks like its never been fired from looking at the rifling. I'm eager to see how it shoots. I plan on snagging a tin of the 440 count surplus stuff for cheap.
                          2013 F150 STX Supercab 5.0L w/3.55 LSD
                          1990 GT Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by stang2be View Post
                            I also picked up one of these from the Cabelas in Allen this weekend for 99

I ended up with a 1942 model that looks like its never been fired from looking at the rifling. I'm eager to see how it shoots. I plan on snagging a tin of the 440 count surplus stuff for cheap.
                            What do m44 carbines go for these days

Comment

I love my M44, loud as shit and fun...

just don't bayonet a refrigerator with a round in the chamber.
                              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                                I love my M44, loud as shit and fun...

just don't bayonet a refrigerator with a round in the chamber.
                                Lol, story?
                                Ded

Comment

Working...
                                X