CCW's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
    I go to the range 2 or 3 times a month. Most of my target ammo in 40 is 180gr. 200 would be a little heavy for 40 I would think. A G29 is possible, but I can definitely feel the difference between my G30 (same frame as 29) and my 27. I have an Alien IWB holster that's the hybrid kydex and leather and both guns fit it.
    how big are you?
    Originally posted by Sean88gt
    You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
    Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
    You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

Same size as you. 5' 7" and around the 180 mark at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtracer View Post
        Holsters are like trying to read Greek for me, completely foreign. Though I know that this is a vital part to the complete package/process of defending yourself.

Did you try a bunch of holsters until you found one or did someone recommend one and it just happened to feel great? I definitely want IWB and a sturdy belt is a must.

The interesting part of CCW is the things you don't think about, like a single loop IWB hangs precariously when you have to take a dump. I started with a leather IWB with a single loop and quickly found that it moved around. I then got a double loop IWB made of Kydex but one of the clips/loops was bigger than the other so it pushed out/showed. I then ended up with a Comp-Tac C-Tac or M-Tac not sure off the top of my head. If I had to do it again I would get either their Minotaur or a Cross Breed (someone on the board said they wear one while changing the oil, moxing the yard etc. and to me that is what you want something that you can do anything in). It has the kydex holster but the leather back so it is more comofortable than plastic on you.

Comment

Originally posted by O.C. View Post
          The interesting part of CCW is the things you don't think about, like a single loop IWB hangs precariously when you have to take a dump. I started with a leather IWB with a single loop and quickly found that it moved around. I then got a double loop IWB made of Kydex but one of the clips/loops was bigger than the other so it pushed out/showed. I then ended up with a Comp-Tac C-Tac or M-Tac not sure off the top of my head. If I had to do it again I would get either their Minotaur or a Cross Breed (someone on the board said they wear one while changing the oil, moxing the yard etc. and to me that is what you want something that you can do anything in). It has the kydex holster but the leather back so it is more comofortable than plastic on you.
          Cross Breed Super tuck seems to be VERY popular...though, not sure I feel threatened while mowing...lol

does the Kydex not eat up the finish on the firearm from rubbing?
          You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
          You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
            If you have bigger hands you will need an extended mag, or pinky extension at a mininum.
            The stock gun with the 5rd shoots fine in my big hands. I also have an unnatural gorilla grip.

OP you should shoot them side by side. I wanted a glock really bad (still love them), but cancelled my g27 order through GT after I rented some guns. the glock felt better in my hands but I was more comfortable and accurate shooting the xds 45 (pre recall). I bought the SA on the following week. After carrying the xds for almost a year I am looking for a bobbed airweight.

Comment

I actually thought about it last night and figured, that I can, it would probably be cheaper overall (dies, primers, brass VS. Factory ammo all the time) but then, how much am I shooting it.

How often do you go to the range with your CCW and shoot? I am not LEO/Mil so this is a factor. I assume maybe no more than once a month.

Edit: the only cost savings over chosing .40 is I already have the dies, granted they will have to be adjusted quite a bit to accomodate .40, it can be done.

Any other caliber would require small pistol primers, bullets and dies. Another note is that the .401 bullets I do load in my 10mm are 180/200gr bullets, those would be a bit too much for a .40

Ah, decisions, decisions, decisions....
              180gr are perfect
              2012 GT500

Comment

Originally posted by TeeShock View Post
                The stock gun with the 5rd shoots fine in my big hands. I also have an unnatural gorilla grip.

OP you should shoot them side by side. I wanted a glock really bad (still love them), but cancelled my g27 order through GT after I rented some guns. the glock felt better in my hands but I was more comfortable and accurate shooting the xds 45 (pre recall). I bought the SA on the following week. After carrying the xds for almost a year I am looking for a bobbed airweight.
                XDs too heavy?

Thinking I am going to handle the XDS .40, .45 and the G29

I have no way of shooting those three at the same time next to each other so I will have to go off input and physical feeling.

Comment

XDs too heavy?

Thinking I am going to handle the XDS .40, .45 and the G29

I have no way of shooting those three at the same time next to each other so I will have to go off input and physical feeling.
                  Xds .40 doesn't exist
                  2012 GT500

Comment

Originally posted by Cobraman View Post
                    Xds .40 doesn't exist
                    Damn internet. All of the post I saw from last year mentioned the release this year...figured it was already out

Comment

XDs too heavy?
                      It's not too heavy, but the corners are noticeable in my clothing. I bought it as a pocket pistol, but its a little more than a pocket pistol even with the nemesis holster. It works great in cargo pockets and appendix carry, but Im not comfortable with a cocked gun pointing at my body so I haul it empty. I don't see the benefit of having to rack the slide in a defense situation so I'm looking for an airweight with a hip clip.

Comment

Damn internet. All of the post I saw from last year mentioned the release this year...figured it was already out
                        Yep. I wouldn't get one in .40 anyway. Too snappy for a pocket gun.
                        2012 GT500

Comment

It's not too heavy, but the corners are noticeable in my clothing. I bought it as a pocket pistol, but its a little more than a pocket pistol even with the nemesis holster. It works great in cargo pockets and appendix carry, but Im not comfortable with a cocked gun pointing at my body so I haul it empty. I don't see the benefit of having to rack the slide in a defense situation so I'm looking for an airweight with a hip clip.
                          Gotcha

Comment

Originally posted by Cobraman View Post
                            Yep. I wouldn't get one in .40 anyway. Too snappy for a pocket gun.
                            So thats why you sold the xd40.... too much powa

Comment

If that is the case (never shot a sub. 40cal) then I am wondering how a G29 would feel

Comment

I loved that gun. Sold it for college money/bike money. .40 s&w is my favorite round (hence the glock 23). I just find it to be a little wild in small guns.
                                2012 GT500

Comment

Working...
                                X