frustration level plad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
    Head up, dude. Shit works out in the end, and I think most people agree that it tends to be for the better. You're just in the middle of it right now so it probably seems immensely worse. When I was in my last 8 weeks of grad school I straight up walked into a VP's office and told him I was quitting - and I had nowhere to go, no plan, nothing. Murdered some savings, shit sucked for a bit, but in hindsight, it was a fucking great decision and freed me up to to some awesome stuff.

If you're up for it, why not post what you do and your experience, or even a copy of your resume, and see if there are some people here who could get you in touch with someone.
    I know I can find work if I need to. I am in the automotive parts business. Currently and for quite a few years I've been in wholesale parts. I think I'm pretty good at it, and I enjoy it. I get to talk about cars all day, and talking to shops is way more fun than dealing with Joe blow at the front counter.
    I just hate not knowing what's going to happen.

Comment

That's a shame. I've been an engineer, engineering manager, technical sales manager, sales director, and now back on the technical side as our SME. I don't know what type of product you're moving, but I can tell you that in my experience a sales person who has had some time with his engineers / designers will be much better equipped than someone who just "builds relationships" and pays for rounds of golf, even if its just a quarterly half day thing. When our distributors let me have one day with their sales staff to train them on just the high level stuff, how to differentiate products, how to sell value, etc they always have a noticeable improvement.
      If it's anything like our org, we have technical sales professionals to speak geek for us, and I've got some "fun" technical training coming up, which will continue annually, to help bridge the gap. Such that there's not really a need or benefit to connect directly with the developers.

I totally agree that a seller needs to fully understand the capabilities, and weaknesses if there are any, to be able to speak intelligently to how to fill a customers needs, and to get ahead of the shortcomings. If the above team dynamic doesn't exist, then absolutely the sellers need time with the engineers.

Comment

Originally posted by 4bangen View Post
        I know I can find work if I need to. I am in the automotive parts business. Currently and for quite a few years I've been in wholesale parts. I think I'm pretty good at it, and I enjoy it. I get to talk about cars all day, and talking to shops is way more fun than dealing with Joe blow at the front counter.
        I just hate not knowing what's going to happen.
        You have two choices my man, either get to work finding your next job, or have faith that you aren't going anywhere. I've been in your shoes, and worry solves absolutely no purpose, and will only distract you from figuring out if you even want to stay. I know for a fact that the people that didn't stay were looking shortly after the sale was announced, nobody that I'm aware of was surprised with notice that they no longer had a job.

Your company was bought for the value that it will bring to the purchasing company, you are either contributing to that value, and are being paid appropriately, or you're not. That said, them not paying your bonus is bullshit, we kept our tenure, vacation, and pay structure for the most part, completely intact. That piece right there could indicate where you fall in the equation, or a lack of financial instability in the buying party, in which case you need to decide if you want to stay. The situation was forced on you, but how you react is entirely up to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
          You have two choices my man, either get to work finding your next job, or have faith that you aren't going anywhere. I've been in your shoes, and worry solves absolutely no purpose, and will only distract you from figuring out if you even want to stay. I know for a fact that the people that didn't stay were looking shortly after the sale was announced, nobody that I'm aware of was surprised with notice that they no longer had a job.

Your company was bought for the value that it will bring to the purchasing company, you are either contributing to that value, and are being paid appropriately, or you're not. That said, them not paying your bonus is bullshit, we kept our tenure, vacation, and pay structure for the most part, completely intact. That piece right there could indicate where you fall in the equation, or a lack of financial instability in the buying party, in which case you need to decide if you want to stay. The situation was forced on you, but how you react is entirely up to you.
          Never been in a dealership buyout, I see.
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
            Never been in a dealership buyout, I see.
            Nope, though I can surmise that it would likely be more about the assets than the people. I'm coming from an environment where multi-year relationships with customers means something, industry experience/knowledge is quite valuable, and the average sale is a tad larger.

If that's what's going on OP, you'd be dumb not to be looking for a job, in making this post you're showing a lack of confidence that they'll keep you.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
              If it's anything like our org, we have technical sales professionals to speak geek for us, and I've got some "fun" technical training coming up, which will continue annually, to help bridge the gap. Such that there's not really a need or benefit to connect directly with the developers.

I totally agree that a seller needs to fully understand the capabilities, and weaknesses if there are any, to be able to speak intelligently to how to fill a customers needs, and to get ahead of the shortcomings. If the above team dynamic doesn't exist, then absolutely the sellers need time with the engineers.
              Ehhh....I'm back in aerospace/defense working new product development for some pretty complex systems. It's certainly a very unique sales situation.

Even before that though.. most of the salesmen I've worked with that thought they were good really just benefited from a rapidly expanding market. They rarely worked to understand the product from a technical standpoint...and for what I do that would help them a lot. I could use the input to understand what features to design in next.

If you ...

That's a shame. I've been an engineer, engineering manager, technical sales manager, sales director, and now back on the technical side as our SME. I don't know what type of product you're moving, but I can tell you that in my experience a sales person who has had some time with his engineers / designers will be much better equipped than someone who just "builds relationships" and pays for rounds of golf, even if its just a quarterly half day thing. When our distributors let me have one day with their sales staff to train them on just the high level stuff, how to differentiate products, how to sell value, etc they always have a noticeable improvement.
              As mentioned above, it also helps me to have the sales perspective. I want to understand what customers are asking for in real time so I can respond quickly. This feedback directly impacts our design efforts...which return a more marketable product line.

Comment

Buncha smarty art niggas up in here.

Comment

NOT THIS GUY, I'm JUST A PARTS MONKEY.

Comment

Half an hour until we see what the hell is going on. Slept okay last night with the help of my old friend alcohol. lol
                    here's hoping I'm not job hunting this afternoon.

Comment

What'd your partner get busted for?

Any thing worth keeping him around as a hookup for illegal things?

Asking for a friend.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus View Post

Asking for a friend.
                        You dont want any part of that. It was something along the lines of pedofilia and/or rape of a minor.

Good luck 4bangen!

Comment

Asking for a friend.
                          Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                          You dont want any part of that. It was something along the lines of pedofilia and/or rape of a minor.

Good luck 4bangen!
                          winner winner chicken dinner.

Comment

God damn.

What the fuck is wrong with people . . .
                            sigpic

Comment

God damn.

What the fuck is wrong with people . . .
                              No shit right? knew the guy for 15 years, never would have believed it until he pled guilty. hope he's someone's bitch in prison right now.

Comment

Originally posted by 4bangen View Post
                                No shit right? knew the guy for 15 years, never would have believed it until he pled guilty. hope he's someone's bitch in prison right now.
                                soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

did ya get fired or just stress for nothing

Comment

Working...
                                X