Fight over teaching evolution in Texas fizzles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mustangguy289 View Post
    Believing in or fighting over the evolution theory is stupid. It will get you know where and it really does not matter.
    You did not believe in English class it would appear.

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
      Science also says we do not have all the answers. Creationism and/or intelligent design is another theory, just like the THEORY of evolution. Even Darwin said he can't explain the beginning. And using your own words of "Science consists of what we know", then the beginning of life should never be discussed in class as we do not KNOW the beginning, have never been able to duplicate it or create it ourselves. Thus, it shouldn't be taught right?
      So you are in favor of not teaching anything because everything to do with creation is equally unproven to you?

I guess I am an extremist for promoting the idea that a Science class should focus on things that can be proven or analyzed using Science.
      Originally posted by racrguy
      What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
      Originally posted by racrguy
      Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowLX View Post
        You did not believe in English class it would appear.
        Sorry about that.
        www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

I have no problem with them presenting evolution as the theory it is. It is part of history whether one believes in it or not. The Bible and all other religions are a major part of history as well whether one believes in a religion or not. Both should be taught and presented as theories and ways of life (religion). Most of society was built upon some form of religion- or belief in a higher power. From the ancient times, to the formation of the United States. Hell, we are still having wars based on religion. Why would we take something so monumental to history out of schools?

Religion (of any kind) has had much more impact on history than evolution theory has. People don't live a certain way based on evolution. People don't fight wars based on evolution. Societies are not built upon the evolution theory.
          www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
            I declined on the basis that I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
            To have a "battle of wits" you must first possess same, which you apparently do not in any geat measure based on your posts in this thread. Consider going back to magic, a subject about which you might just be able to e-argue effectively LOL.

Comment

I have no problem with them presenting evolution as the theory it is. It is part of history whether one believes in it or not. The Bible and all other religions are a major part of history as well. Both should be taught and presented as theories and ways of life (religion). Most of society was built upon some form of religion- or belief in a higher power. From the ancient times, to the formation of the United States. Hell, we are still having wars based on religion. Why would we take something so monumental to history out of schools?

Religion (of any kind) has had much more impact on history than evolution theory has. People don't live a certain way based on evolution. People don't fight wars based on evolution. Societies are not built upon the evolution theory.
              It's a science class. Religion is not science. If you want to have a class on religion, that's an entirely different thread. If you want religion to be more prevalent in history curriculum, that is also an entirely different thread.

Comment

Originally posted by exlude View Post
                It's a science class. Religion is not science. If you want to have a class on religion, that's an entirely different thread. If you want religion to be more prevalent in history curriculum, that is also an entirely different thread.
                It was more or less my unbiased attempt at saying both should be presented as they are in schools and neither should be taken out.
                www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                  I guess I am an extremist for promoting the idea that a Science class should focus on things that can be proven or analyzed using Science.
                  This. It is a science class, it is teaching Science. It isn't there to raise your kids or teach them religion. The only thing I would change about the way these topics are taught in school would be to stress a little more that they are theories, and not present them as fact.

My kids will inevitably learn about evolution, dinosaurs, the big bang ect. but more than likely I will have already taught them about creation. IMO there's nothing wrong with them learning about things our religion may disagree with, and it would be my job as a parent to teach them to discern what is true and false.
                  Last edited by slow06; 07-22-2011, 11:45 AM.
                  "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
                  -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by slow06 View Post
                    This. It is a science class, it is teaching Science. It isn't there to raise your kids or teach them religion. The only thing I would change about the way these topics are taught in school would be to stress a little more that they are theories, and not present them as fact.

My kids will inevitably learn about evolution, dinosaurs, the big bang ect. but more than likely I will have already taught them about creation. IMO there's nothing wrong with them learning about things our religion may disagree with, and it would be my job as a parent to teach to discern what is true and false.
                    Best post in this thread IMO

Comment

Originally posted by slowlx View Post
                      gtfo of here with that shit...higher education in science has no place in dfwm
                      qft

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
                        He can intercede if petitioned to do so, as through prayer. Outside of that, He can also intercede in controlling His Creation, if need be, at the point at which mankind is on the cusp of destroyng it.

(I know "on the cusp of" is an irritating term, that's why I chose it.)
                        On the basis of your beliefs and Biblical understanding, I can't argue this point. Well, I could but we both know it's moot.

What I'm really trying to get at is that either random events occur in nature or they do not. The manifestation of probability theory in the propagation of natural life speaks loudly.

Your brand of antagonism always amuses me.
                        Men have become the tools of their tools.
                        -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

So much HERP A DERP up in here.

A colloquial theory is an idea

Scientific theory has been peer reviewed and tested, proven to be true. As factual as we can prove with current science.

Fact, evolution exists. Fact, we evolved from earlier primates.

Not fact, the story of creation as told in the bible.

Creationism/ID would be a Hypothesis, as it is an untested idea that might explain the data. It cannot, however, ever be a scientific theory as it cannot be tested.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                            So much HERP A DERP up in here.

A colloquial theory is an idea

Scientific theory has been peer reviewed and tested, proven to be true. As factual as we can prove with current science.

Fact, evolution exists. Fact, we evolved from earlier primates.

Not fact, the story of creation as told in the bible.

Creationism/ID would be a Hypothesis, as it is an untested idea that might explain the data. It cannot, however, ever be a scientific theory as it cannot be tested.
                            Can you show me what you claim as fact? Why did some primates evolve and some didn't? Did the test and show that a monkey evolved into a human in a lab?
                            www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Can you show me what you claim as fact?
                              Considering evolution is a process that works over many generations, no one could show you evolution on a forum. There are some wonderful scientific studies that have been performed that demonstrate the validity of evolution.

Such as
                              2008 Strauss, S.Y., J.A. Lau, T.W. Schoener and P. Tiffin. Evolution in ecological field experiments: implications for effect size. Ecology Letters 11: 199-207

and

Wielgoss, S., J. E. Barrick, O. Tenaillon, S. Cruvellier, B. Chane-Woon-Ming, C. Médigue, R. E. Lenski, and D. Schneider. 2011. Mutation rate inferred from synonymous substitutions in a long-term evolution experiment with Escherichia coli. G3: Genes, Genomes, Genetics: in press.

Originally posted by mustangguy289
                              Why did some primates evolve and some didn't?
                              No primate stopped evolving, nor did any other living genetic line. Your question demonstrates your misunderstanding of what evolution is and how it works.

Originally posted by mustangguy289
                              Did the test and show that a monkey evolved into a human in a lab?
                              If this is your criteria, which it seems to be given the context of the post, then surely you must know that gravity is "only a theory" and we have no experiments showing how it works, only that it does. As we can see it's effects, but are unable to demonstrate exactly how it works. So, if you could keep your questions relevant to science when discussing science, it would be helpful.

But, to directly address your question, you will never find an experiment that will “show that a monkey evolved into a human” anywhere. You’re building a poorly constructed straw man of the evolutionary theory. Humans didn’t evolve from apes because we are still apes. Great Apes, to be exact.

If you have any other questions, and I can answer them, feel free to ask.

Remember to teach the controversy!!

Scientists do not coddle ideas. They crash test them. They run them into a brick wall at 60 miles per hour and then examine the pieces.

If the idea is sound, the pieces will be that of the wall.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddhattter View Post
                                Humans didn’t evolve from apes because we are still apes. Great Apes, to be exact.

That's racists.

I believe things evolve over time. Certain species adapt to their surroundings through evolution, etc. I do not believe the human being evolved from an ape.
                                www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Working...
                                X