Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Different religous belief than your family members?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different religous belief than your family members?

I hope that this thread isn't full of "you're stupid for believing this instead of that." I was just thinking about my experience. Just about my entire family are christians. It was hard telling them that I don't consider myself one, but when I did, they were all really nice and never "Well, you're going to hell." Just wondering if some other folks have had similar experiences. When I told them that I wasn't a christian, I was sure to tell them that I didn't think that I was right, and they were wrong. I just told them that I wasn't convinced.
    "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Yep. I have some that aren't. I wish they were, but I respect their right to exercise their free will to choose. Sucks, but I can only control myself.

Comment

I have the same in my family. I applaud your family for not berating you about your belief(s). That is how Christians should act/treat one that professes their position. To love you regardless is how Jesus would have acted toward you, according to what scripture says.

I'm sure they'll always love you and will continue praying for you and that God will make his love and presence very clear to you in a way that you cannot mistake.

Bryan

Comment

Your family, or anyone else for that matter, should never tell you that you're going to hell. There is no one among us with the authority to make that statement regardless of whether they consider themselves Christians, Muslims, or any other religion.
        Last edited by The King; 03-03-2011, 02:28 PM.

Comment

my mother sometimes stays up late at night worrying for my eternal soul. she tried her best to brainwash me into her christianity, but i resisted. now, because im not a christian, do not believe in it and therefore have never been baptized she thinks im going to hell.

im no atheist. i believe there is some kind of higher power...this entire universe isnt a coincidence, i just dont believe any organized religion.
          2011 Mustang GT
          sigpic

Comment

Part of my family like my sister are very religious, and feel that they need to pray for everything good to come to them, and my belief is that praying only makes you feel better about the future, you control what happens. And she doesn't like my opinion at all about it and at times we bump heads over religion. I just choose not to argue with people over it.

Comment

My mom's side is hardcore Christian. It's what their entire life is based around, every minute of every day. I grew up that way, but opened my mind after I became an adult. Now, I believe that the idea that anyone or any religion has all the answers is absurd. They haven't ever asked me about my beliefs since they changed, so I don't bring it up. They probably assume that I'm Christian. At family meals, I bow my head and close my eyes and hold my grandma's hand or whatever as they say the prayer. If they ever do ask me, I'll be honest, and I imagine they will be upset and try to sway me. I'd rather just avoid all of that, if possible.

Most of my dad's side is Christian, but in a way that they aren't always talking about it. It's just a detail of their life, and not the main thing about it. They don't ask me about my beliefs, either, and I don't say anything about theirs. If it came up, they probably wouldn't sweat it.

Comment

Growing up I hardly went to church. Most of my immediate family does not go to church regularly. I was baptized about ten years ago. I go to church every week, even when out of town on vacation. I volunteer for the community through the church.
                class joke
                {
                private:
                char Forrest, Jenny, Momma, LtDan;
                double Peas, Carrots;
                string MommaAlwaysSaid(const bool AddAnyTime = True)
                };

Comment

I'm a non-believer, growing up my family was somewhat into religion but now many are even more. They never preached to me or really even talked about it when I was young so as I got older and met more RELIGIOUS people it really made me not want to believe. I know not everyone is pushy but it's the ones that are which cause the most issues. My wife is a christian, more so than when I met her. She's known from the beginning about my views, hasn't left me yet so I think we're doing alright. I just don't really like to get into discussions about religion w/her b/c it's a losing battle from the start. LOL

Comment

My family, by majority are antitheists. I myself just don't care.
                    Ded

Comment

My wife's family is all Shinto but she is Christian. However it hasn't been a real issue.

Comment

Are you the artist formerly known as Poopnut?

I grew up going to church and while dating my wife, went to church on many occasions. I'm a member of a church, now. My wife is a believer, I'm not. I mainly do it to please the wifey and expose my kids to the good teachings, etc. church offers their growing little minds.

It wasn't until college that I realized where I truly stood with my beliefs.
                        Hellcat Charger

Comment

I'm agnostic / borderline atheist. Grew up Baptist. My wife is Catholic and very religious. Not a problem for us. But, my mom refuses to acknowledge my beliefs (or lack thereof) even though she has bought several "anti-religious" books for me I have asked for for Christmas. When she mentions religion and I say something like "I find it extremely interesting, but I don't really believe much of it" she always looks at me and says "yes you do! you are religious!" Ok, whatever, mom.
                          Last edited by LANTIRN; 04-01-2011, 10:12 PM. Reason: I can't spell
                          I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Working...
                          X