DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > Pumpin' Iron

Pumpin' Iron Forum for any kind of work out discussions.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:19 PM   #1
Ruffdaddy
Lifer

Default Upcoming Fitness (running, lifting, etc) Events

The pumpin iron forum seems to have boomed lately, maybe it's because of the good weather, or because it's actually a pretty helpful forum. I do feel like things have shaped up very nicely here, and the moderation is great.

So basically I wanted to start a thread about upcoming races, lift meets, tri's, or other group exercises. I know there are alot of us that are trying to get competitive if not already.

Post up your upcoming events, hopefully we will start seeing DFWM faces around. I'll start:

In June I'm doing the firefly run near shops at legacy, I believe a few other board members are doing this as well.

I plan to do the Jailbreak DFW in September.

Whats everyone else doing?
Ruffdaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:39 AM   #2
Jonny00GT
Stang Freak

Triumph Over Pain(Cooper Fitness Center at Craig Ranch, McKinney 5/14) 1 mile run, walk, roll with the wife and kids and then the 5K. I believe AnthonyS is running the 10Km http://www.triumphoverpain.org/may-2011-race.htm ;
Also doing the Firefly around shops at Legacy http://www.fireflyrun.com/dallas.htm :Myself, the wife, Chris(ceyko), his wife are doing the 5K.
Might do the Jailbreak and working towards 10K races come fall.

-Jonny

Last edited by Jonny00GT; 05-10-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Jonny00GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:37 AM   #3
chuckacosta
Lifer

Well I'm in El Paso but I plan on doing the Braden Aboud Memorial 5k. It's next month on 5/15. It'll be my first run EVER. I'm confident it'll be no thing for me. I only plan to grow from that.
chuckacosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:13 AM   #4
Shorty
Lifer

I'll be playing rugby sevens all summer. We had a meeting on Tuesday and pretty much agreed we would compete in the TOLA Sevens Series. If you enter two or more Westerns qualifiers, your team is unable to rank in TOLA. If you enter the Westerns qualifiers, you can qualify for the Western tournament, and play to qualify for Nationals. We don't have sponsorship for sevens yet so we'll probably just do TOLA to save the cost of traveling to KC and Denver.

5/28 Liberty Fest, Farmers Branch, TX (non TOLA)
6/4 Denton, TX
6/18 Bloodfest, Austin, TX
6/25 Westerns Qualifer in Dallas
7/9 Redfish, Baton Rouge, LA (Westerns Qualifier in Kansas City)
7/16 Tornado Alley, Norman, OK
7/23 Cherrybone, Woodlands, TX (Westerns Qualifier in Denver)
7/30 Horseshoe 7's, Shreveport, LA
8/6 Mudfish, Dallas, TX (Non TOLA)
Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:44 PM   #5
AnthonyS
Lifer

Richardson Bike Mart Wilde Ride 5/21
This summer I'm doing the Playtri festival 6/5; can't run before on 6/5
Collin Classic bike ride (gonna sign up for 40 or 50 or so) 6/11
The Peach Pedal in Weatherford in July I think
The Goatneck on 7/30 (maybe)
Benbrook Tri in August
and the McKinney Tri in September
I'll probably do the Cooper Fall Tri again too.

If all goes as planned, I'll be doing a long tri in New Orleans next April.

I will also be doing a smattering of 5Ks, 10Ks and maybe a half marathon between those dates. My wife always finds and signs us up for the runs.
AnthonyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:59 AM   #6
KoopaTroopa
Lifer

Send a message via AIM to KoopaTroopa

Anyone know when the next bodybuilding,bikini,fitness contest(in Ft.Worth/Dallas) will be?
KoopaTroopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:50 PM   #7
stangin4lyfe
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoopaTroopa View Post
Anyone know when the next bodybuilding,bikini,fitness contest(in Ft.Worth/Dallas) will be?
Metroflex in Ft Worth is having a bikini contest on June 25th.
The owners seem to be great people(one of them you might recognize from flipping a 1,000lb tire in a Jerimiah Weed commercial).
stangin4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:51 PM   #8
stangin4lyfe
Lifer

Btw: good luck to all the competitors and athletes that we have on here!
I'll sticky this thread for a while.
Please keep us updated.
stangin4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:18 PM   #9
Ruffdaddy
Lifer

Thanks for the sticky Stangin!

To anyone considering the Jailbreak, you get $5 off at registration with the coupon code: JailBird
Ruffdaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:11 AM   #10
Beej
Lifer

Head for the hills this weekend. I will be doing the 60.
Beej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:19 AM   #11
AnthonyS
Lifer

I'm going to do the Dallas Running Club half marathon in November. It'll be my first half, and I'm not going to train specifically for it until September if at all. It's at Whiterock Lake.

I won't be running this weekend. I'm in Colorado springs for a conference for my job.
AnthonyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:51 AM   #12
chuckacosta
Lifer

Ok so due to procrastination and relying on the wrong people to pull it together I will NOT be doing the 5K this Sunday. I am pretty dissapointed by that. But I WILL be looking for another run to do very soon. I WILL do a run before summer ends that's for sure!
Old 05-15-2011, 03:41 PM   #13
jason07
formerly 88hatch5_0

I am doing the following rides this Spring/Summer:

May 28th-Honey Tour Burleson http://honeytour.athlete360.com/
June 25th-Cow Creek Country Classic Waxahachie http://www.cowcreekcountryclassic.or...011LogoNew.png
July 30th-Goatneck Cleburne http://www.active.com/register/index...465&CHECKSSO=0

I did the Head for the Hills ride last week in Cedar Hill which was great. I plan on doing a few more than the rides listed above but these are all for sure rides for me.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:45 PM   #14
Vertnut
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason07 View Post

June 25th-Cow Creek Country Classic Waxahachie http://www.cowcreekcountryclassic.or...011LogoNew.png
July 30th-Goatneck Cleburne http://www.active.com/register/index...465&CHECKSSO=0

I did the Head for the Hills ride last week in Cedar Hill which was great. I plan on doing a few more than the rides listed above but these are all for sure rides for me.
The Cow Creek is an easy 100 mile ride. I recommend it for first time centurians.
Vertnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:50 PM   #15
jason07
formerly 88hatch5_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut View Post
The Cow Creek is an easy 100 mile ride. I recommend it for first time centurians.
My fitness isnt there yet, but I am doing the 50 mile route.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:58 PM   #16
chuckacosta
Lifer

Quote:
Quote:
My fitness isnt there yet, but I am doing the 50 mile route.
I only ride mountain with the occasional road ride, on my mountain bike. I have never really done more than 20miles. I can't even fathom doing 100 miles. However I can imagine that it's completely different on a road bike?

And for any one that cares or even knows El Paso. Since I couldn't do the 5K I was planning on doing yesterday I did a pretty monumental ride, in my world at least. I rode from the base of the mountain to the top by a trail. Then coasted down the other side on the road and back up and back down on the trail. All in all it was a 19.5 mile trip. It was tough and really tested my endurance and even mental stability. Lol! But I did it! And for those that know El Paso, it was Transmountain that I rode.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:57 PM   #17
Vertnut
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckacosta View Post
I only ride mountain with the occasional road ride, on my mountain bike. I have never really done more than 20miles. I can't even fathom doing 100 miles. However I can imagine that it's completely different on a road bike?

And for any one that cares or even knows El Paso. Since I couldn't do the 5K I was planning on doing yesterday I did a pretty monumental ride, in my world at least. I rode from the base of the mountain to the top by a trail. Then coasted down the other side on the road and back up and back down on the trail. All in all it was a 19.5 mile trip. It was tough and really tested my endurance and even mental stability. Lol! But I did it! And for those that know El Paso, it was Transmountain that I rode.
Totally different on a road bike...lighter bike, less rotating mass, skinner tires (less resistance), smooth surface, etc. When I raced "sport class" in MTB, it would beat me you up quite a bit. It's hard to go fast and still have regard for your body (lol). You never really have a cadence on a MTB like you do on the road. You pretty much hammer your ass off until you get to a down hill stretch. You also use your upper body a lot more on the mountain bike. If you can comfortably do 50, it's not too much of a stretch to do 100. The tough part of the 100 is the last 20 miles. You see a lot of guys "bonk" or "hit the wall". They just flat run empty.
Vertnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:32 PM   #18
jason07
formerly 88hatch5_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckacosta View Post

I visit El Paso every 3 months or so....that's a hell of a climb. Good Job!
Old 05-18-2011, 09:18 AM   #19
chuckacosta
Lifer

Quote:
Totally different on a road bike...lighter bike, less rotating mass, skinner tires (less resistance), smooth surface, etc. When I raced "sport class" in MTB, it would beat me you up quite a bit. It's hard to go fast and still have regard for your body (lol). You never really have a cadence on a MTB like you do on the road. You pretty much hammer your ass off until you get to a down hill stretch. You also use your upper body a lot more on the mountain bike. If you can comfortably do 50, it's not too much of a stretch to do 100. The tough part of the 100 is the last 20 miles. You see a lot of guys "bonk" or "hit the wall". They just flat run empty.
Ya I totally hear ya. I've contemplated getting a cheap road bike for days that I just want to hit the road. But I just haven't gotten around to it. Truth be told if I got a road bike, I'd want it to be as good as my mountain bike. My mountain bike retails at just under $2K. So......I don't know what to do. Lol!

Quote:
I visit El Paso every 3 months or so....that's a hell of a climb. Good Job!
Thank you sir. Like I said, it was tough!! I think what made it so difficult was the fact that it was pretty hot. It had to have been in the low to mid 90's on Sunday. I got pretty sunburned. Lol! And not to mention that I was the only idiot cycling at that time of day. That should have told me lots about the journey I had in front of me.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:26 PM   #20
Beej
Lifer

Quote:

Honey tour is one of the best rides. I really enjoyed it.

Cow Creek is ok, nice and flat but lots of chip seal for the first 15-20 miles.

Goatneck has a few tough hills. Not to bad though.
Beej is offline   Reply With Quote