Is this normal? Wifi question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this normal? Wifi question.

So I was uploading a file at about 7.5KB/S on wireless. I hardwire it and it goes up to 95KB/S. Is that normal for a wireless router to lose that much performance? I know my interwebz suck already with CLEAR but damn. It went down to dial-up speeds. Do you think it's a problem with the router or the provider in general? What are ya'lls upload speeds? My roommate and I had DSL not too long ago and it was definitely better but not great. Before I moved where I'm at, I could download a 50MB music album in about a minute. I just want to make the best out of a bad situation until we can get cable or a fiber-optic service.
    "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Granted I'm on Fios, I still get most of my throughput w/ several walls between me and the router. So yes, you'll experience some degradation but it shouldn't be 90%+

Try power cycling the router to see if it helps.

Comment

Are you getting a solid signal at the adapter? Also if something else is using the same frequency or is close to it the network could be congested, I'd change the channel from the default if you can. Another thing you might look at are the Qos settings if your router has them, it could be only allowing 25% of the throughput for wifi or something.

It probably won't ever be as fast as hardwiring but you definitely seem to have a problem with those speeds.

Comment

I lose approximately 20% of my total bandwidth over Wi-Fi. This is normal. With a strong -48 dBA signal I will download on speakeasy approx. 20 Mbps down / 20 Mbps up. Plugged in to the router via Ethernet, I get 25 up / 25 down, which is my Internet package on FIOS.

The best thing you can possible do is upgrade to dd-wrt firmware on a Linksys router. I can access my network 3 houses down. And that's with transmit power only turned up to 100mW.

Comment

Working...
        X