New all electric Porsche unveiled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by matts5.0 View Post
    They sure as fuck don't care about an electric Porsche or a $100k tesla. You're kinda an idiot sometimes.
    Not yet but I get what he is saying. The technology for the electric cars is catching up finally to where it needs to be to compete with oil. Range and charge time are the biggest reasons it hasn't been feasible; as soon as that is sorted out the price starts dropping as more people buy them. They may not be scared shitless about the electric cars, but with the advances coming as fast as they are they are probably pretty concerned about it.

I am curious if anyone knows why the money and research hasn't been put into hybrids? It seems like the lower cost, increased range, and ability to refuel when and where you need to would make them much more attractive while at the same time increase the battery range and recharge rate so that the electric car technology still makes forward advances. I would consider a hybrid at the right price, but I wouldn't consider a fully electric car right now. Of course I don't pay that much attention to either one so maybe the hybrids have made more advances I am not aware of.
    I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by matts5.0 View Post
      They sure as fuck don't care about an electric Porsche or a $100k tesla. You're kinda an idiot sometimes.
      You don't get to the 50k car until you master the 100k car.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
        Not yet but I get what he is saying. The technology for the electric cars is catching up finally to where it needs to be to compete with oil. Range and charge time are the biggest reasons it hasn't been feasible; as soon as that is sorted out the price starts dropping as more people buy them. They may not be scared shitless about the electric cars, but with the advances coming as fast as they are they are probably pretty concerned about it.

I am curious if anyone knows why the money and research hasn't been put into hybrids? It seems like the lower cost, increased range, and ability to refuel when and where you need to would make them much more attractive while at the same time increase the battery range and recharge rate so that the electric car technology still makes forward advances. I would consider a hybrid at the right price, but I wouldn't consider a fully electric car right now. Of course I don't pay that much attention to either one so maybe the hybrids have made more advances I am not aware of.
        All the problems of a gas car and all the problems of an electric car. I think manufacturers see them as a half step. Many people see them as more trouble, and the fact that most models are an after thought doesn't help. Most of my friends who owned hybrids now own gas cars but are interested in electric.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
          All the problems of a gas car and all the problems of an electric car. I think manufacturers see them as a half step. Many people see them as more trouble, and the fact that most models are an after thought doesn't help. Most of my friends who owned hybrids now own gas cars but are interested in electric.
          I get that. I'd be more interested in a hybrid with a tiny, super-efficient gas motor that does nothing but charge the battery of an otherwise fully electric car to extend range.

Comment

Comment

Amazing tech, though I'd still prefer to have the Taycan as a daily. 750 AWD hp will be plenty of fun for just about anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
                SVO already owns one.
                I built an electric car in high school out of a 1979 RX7 that I filled with wheelchair batteries and an old GE DC electric motor. Oddly enough the challenges I faced when building that car are the same insurmountable challenges that every other EV car maker is bumping headlong into. My next vehicle purchase will be some Tacomas, an EV is nowhere in my future even if I have to distill my own alcohol to continue driving vehicles that have internal combustion engines.
                Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by sig239 View Post
                  some colorful language.
                  When I first built my FC that I used to race I would take people for rides and it would freak their shit out completely. on street tires it would run high tens with a best time ever on ET streets of 9.62. Having a camera that could record all that was almost unheard of back then even though that was only 20 years ago. On the initial hit I suspect a Tesla on Insanity mode would get a jump on my RX7 but I haven't had a chance to test that out.

Edit: What do the hot rod Tesla's do on a top speed run? I believe the RPM range of the motors is about 10,000 RPM, there's not a transmission to speak of, and they only run about a 26in tire so I'm guessing the top speed is somewhere under a hundred forty miles an hour. I think I've had pickup trucks that are faster than that.
                  Last edited by svauto-erotic855; 07-29-2021, 05:00 PM.
                  Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                    Edit: What do the hot rod Tesla's do on a top speed run? I believe the RPM range of the motors is about 10,000 RPM, there's not a transmission to speak of, and they only run about a 26in tire so I'm guessing the top speed is somewhere under a hundred forty miles an hour. I think I've had pickup trucks that are faster than that.
                    23K RPM for the motor speed.
                    The car in the video trapped 150+mph, but only has a 163mph top speed, for now. Expect an over the air update that will allow 200mph by next year.

Comment

^^^ That is pretty stout performance; I can not run close to that ET without street tires that are really slicks and I would not want to try a sustained top-speed run on that type of tire. If I ever get some free time I am really going to have to step up my game; I would ditch cars for a hobby if an EV could smoke me on a daily basis.

Tesla needs to put some money into developing a transmission similar to a power glide but I would have it running direct and then have two overdrives. With a super low CD like they are claiming their big power cars could run 260-270 assuming they can keep them on the ground.

Comment

From all the reviews I've watch on the Taycon and Mach E, the biggest issue is charging infrastructure outside of Teslas, Electrify America's stations seem to have constant issue and slow charging.

Comment

Working...
                        X