Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have experience with life insurance claims?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for this link my parents are getting up in years and this very well may be relevant for me/us soon.

Comment

Originally posted by 32vfromhell View Post
      My father in law "doesn't believe in paying for his kids to live comfortably off his death" and it angers me so damn much because he doesnt really understand the cost of trying to manage all of this at a time when you are emotionally fragile and spent.
      Yeah that's bullshit. Tell him his body is going to rot in the fucking dump then. Don't tell Erin I said that though.

Comment

Originally posted by Unicorn Jeff View Post
        Yeah that's bullshit. Tell him his body is going to rot in the fucking dump then. Don't tell Erin I said that though.
        El oh el.

Comment

Originally posted by 32vfromhell View Post
          My father in law "doesn't believe in paying for his kids to live comfortably off his death" and it angers me so damn much because he doesnt really understand the cost of trying to manage all of this at a time when you are emotionally fragile and spent.
          So what's he plan to do with all of his assets?

Comment

Originally posted by GE View Post
            So what's he plan to do with all of his assets?
            fuck if i know. Either he has millions stashed away (very possible) or is barely solvent (also very possible). So hard to tell, but all the uncertainty is a terrible burden on Erin, who is taking care of him on a near daily basis because he got pneumonia and had to be hospitalized. He is treating her like one of his assistants and its pissing me off, because she has other things to worry about right now than whether she needs to go to the store to get potato chips because the ones at the rehab facility "taste funny" or whatever crap it is.

Sorry, venting here. The dude frustrates me to no end right now and yes, it really concerns me on his attitude after him and his own wife going through cancer, only he survived it and had to deal with all the post-death costs and he STILL hasnt changed his mind. I'm pretty sure both Erin and I are going to have to support him, and her two brothers are only going to provide token help.

No idea if he even has a will.
            Last edited by 32vfromhell; 01-30-2019, 11:59 PM.

Comment

There's a big difference in leaving an inheritance,and spending it all before you die. I've told mom time and time again to spend as much as she can before she goes when the topic comes up, as she likes to remind me from time to time that a chunk is coming, if for no other reason than to assure herself that she's got enough to last. Though that's with the general expectation that she will be taking care of herself financially through cremation. I sincerely mean it when I tell her to enjoy life, and that I have no financial expectations, as I've got my own retirement plans at play. When the time comes to "get her a bag of chips" I'll do so gladly, after all, it's the least I can do.

Your FIL doesn't owe you or Erin a red cent Ryan, whether he's a pain in the ass about it or not. If he's expecting y'all to cover medical and/or funeral expenses, that's a different ballgame.

Comment

I don't care about "leaving us money" one bit, Aaron. I have zero expectations of my own parents doing the same, but i suppose its different because i know they have a plan for end-of-life care and are living a good happy life in retirement. With my FIL its nothing but uncertainty about end-of-life care and a difficult and complex relationship with his kids is not helping. My wife growing up would have liked nothing more than to have a christmas present from him of something homemade or a simple thoughtful trinket instead of a check written out on the spot because he forgot to go shopping.

If you saw your father in law bossing around your wife and leaving her crying when she is just trying to help, im sure you would fix everything, dude. Let's see how you react to your spouse getting yelled at. I like it how you say that "you would do that , its the least you could do" like you have done it. What happens when you find out she has no more money because she got swindled by some televangelist crook , and now you have to raid your kids college fund and your own 401k to help her? Choices arn't always so easy and happy. I dont hate or dislike the man at all, just wish he would treat his kids better and appreciate the MOUNTAINS of things his daughter does for him.

Fact of the matter is 9 times out of 10 its the daughters who end up taking care of their parents, not their sons, so its real easy to say "what you WOULD do".
                Last edited by 32vfromhell; 02-01-2019, 01:10 AM.

Comment

So how much does the parasite (excuse me the government) take if you got say... a 100k plan. You died, or somebody died, and there was 100k paid out. I'm guessing the parasite would siphon off some with its proboscis.
                  WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                    So how much does the parasite (excuse me the government) take if you got say... a 100k plan. You died, or somebody died, and there was 100k paid out. I'm guessing the parasite would siphon off some with its proboscis.
                    None, that’s under the Estate Tax threshold and the life insurance payout is not taxed either.
                    Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                    I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                    Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                    Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                    dont downshift!!
                    Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Well wouldja just lookit that. Something that ain't taxed. Makes me feel pretty good when I hear about something that isn't taxed.
                      WH

Comment

Working...
                      X